Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Enduro and need a new ride. If I get a new All mountain ride should I stay with a 26 or get a 29? Do they ascend better than the 26 inch bikes or is the climbing better and sacrifice downhill? Thanks

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
You can't generalize every bike by wheel size. Maybe you should go test ride some bikes and see what you think of them.

Reactions: mzorich

·
Registered
63 Posts
+1 to what zebra said. But from what I could tell the difference between my dad's bike, a Niner, 29" wheels and my bike, a Giant Reign, 26" wheels (I know very different bikes, but I wasn't comparing the suspension) was that the Niner did go over bumps better, but it was harder to do tight turns. Also I didn't like the feeling of being higher off the ground, it made me feel more prone to crashing, but maybe that's just something you get used to. I can see the advantages to a 29er, but personally I wouldn't buy a 29er, but I'm a downhill first, climbing 2nd

·
Administrator
11,428 Posts
+1 to what zebra said. But from what I could tell the difference between my dad's bike, a Niner, 29" wheels and my bike, a Giant Reign, 26" wheels (I know very different bikes, but I wasn't comparing the suspension) was that the Niner did go over bumps better, but it was harder to do tight turns. Also I didn't like the feeling of being higher off the ground, it made me feel more prone to crashing, but maybe that's just something you get used to. I can see the advantages to a 29er, but personally I wouldn't buy a 29er, but I'm a downhill first, climbing 2nd
Just so you know: you are no higher off the ground on a 29er than a 26er. A 29er has greater BB drop putting the BB the same height off the ground as a comparable 26er. Chances are you were actually higher off the ground on the Reign because its BB is probably higher than the 29er. Everything else, bar height, etc can be adjust to be the same in proportion as a comparable 26er. The only thing that is different is the BB's relationship to the axles (which accounts for the "sitting in" feeling on a 29er) and the wheelbase which can be longer than a comparable 26er due to the 1.5" larger wheel radius.

·
Helmetless Crasher
1,071 Posts
Depends on what you like and your riding style.

In my experience:
A 29er rolls over stuff a lot easier, but feels less responsive, less nimble and less quick and therefore less fun when you are really cookin'. A 29er prolly requires less energy overall over rough terrain, but is not as fun, IMHO.

Caveat, I have not ridden high-end 29ers - which I am sure close the fun factor gap considerably vs 26ers.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not better, but different. Ride both and make up your mind. I've ridden both and both have good qualities and bad qualities.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I own a Nomad and a Blur LTc, and test ridden the Tallboy LTc. I can't tell any difference between the two LTc's in the steering department. I actually forgot I was on a 29er, until I plowed it over rocks. Same trail back to back on the two LTc's, the 29er was WAY smoother and floated over the chunder way better. I was able to turn those big wheels w/o any clue as to their diameter.

That will be $0.02, thanks! :D
And this. New 29ers are really amazing. The geometry and components have come a longgggggggggggg way.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I own a Nomad and a Blur LTc, and test ridden the Tallboy LTc. I can't tell any difference between the two LTc's in the steering department. I actually forgot I was on a 29er, until I plowed it over rocks. Same trail back to back on the two LTc's, the 29er was WAY smoother and floated over the chunder way better. I was able to turn those big wheels w/o any clue as to their diameter.

BTW, gonna pick up a Tallboy LTc as soon as I can sell off my Nomad, a DH bike, and maybe a roadie.

That will be $0.02, thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Transition Bandit 29. I forget i'm on a 29er.

The Bandit 29, Kona's new longer travel 29er, and a few others are not like 29ers of yesteryear. There is a thread going, somewhere, that covers this extensively

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
just different. being taller a fsr29 just suits me better. just demo some and it will be an easy choice. i knew a 29er was for me after half a hour of riding.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
29er loves to plow through chunky stuff without a lot of rider input, point and go. This applies both up and down. 26er excels in short punchy accelerations, tight side to side turns. Personally, I like the confidence the 29er provides when the terrain chunks up.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts