Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back when Shimano was taking over the world we talked about an all USA made quality mountain bike. Every last bit made here, not just name branded. Nobody in my crowd ever did it. Was (is) it possible?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
azjeff said:
Way back when Shimano was taking over the world we talked about an all USA made quality mountain bike. Every last bit made here, not just name branded. Nobody in my crowd ever did it. Was (is) it possible?
There's an old MTB video I have where they were touting an all non-Shimano/Japanese made bike.

It was a Ritchey with all Sachs bits IIRC.

Though it would have been BS if any Ritchey components were on the bike as well...seeing as that stuff was Sugino or Nitto outsourced...

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
I Think There's Another Thread On This Topic

I came close, but I don't think I got everything...freewheel to name one.

And really there was no point 'cause the "Made in the USA" stuff is inferior.
Besides a frame/frameset I don't think there's anything US made that I'd throw on my bike...maybe a stem and perhaps rims.

I did do a 100% Italian mtb though :)

·
I picked two too many
766 Posts
Hmm

I thought about trying this around '95 or so when White Industries came out with their push-pull Shift/Deraileur thingy . . . as I recall, I had a hard time figuring out tires, tubes, cables.

If custom it would be easy, but using parts in general current production (as is the idea with this) was hard.

If you change the rules and make it North America . . . that helps.

But that ain't fair . . . is it?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
As I recall , this "all made in USA" fad passed fairly quickly. Some of the US componets didnt work as well as the big S and cost 3 to 5 times as much :eek: but they were pretty :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mountain Bike Magazine

Mountain Bike Magazine did an all USA bike in 1996 or so. You could use the Paul's derailleurs. They noted they did not shift well--I do not remember what they used for shirfters.

I have a pulstar wheelset with sun made in the USA rims for sale right now. It would be fun to put one together today.

OregonMTB
Look for anything annodized orange
Looking for Kooka parts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Gripshift X-ray shifters on that bike, and they ran a Sachs front derailleur I think because at the time, Paul's only made the rear one.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well an SS would make it easier

Sun rims, Wheelsmith spokes, White Ind. hubs, Control Tech (maybe?) post and stem, forget the bars and grips, lots of frames to choose from, of course Rock Shox, various CNC brakes and levers. The Pauls were the answer to the derailleurs. Cook crankset, something Ti in a BB, cassette don't remember. Tires, tubes, seat, were the problem.

This was backlash from Shimano trying to force bike companies to buy complete groups, about the time of Rapidfire I think.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I posted a similar question a year or so ago. In my neck of the woods at the time (Atlanta, GA back then) we were shooting for Anything Butt Shimano, not all USA. My IF was built that way and actually came pretty close to all USA. The only concession to ABS was an XTR front der. since I couldn't get my hands on anything else when I built it and then never bothered to follow through. When built and even mostly still today my bike was all Ringle, Grafton, Joe's, Precision Billet, Answer/Manitou, Real, Sachs, SDG, Wheelsmith, Mavic, Gore, Gripshift, etc. with only the front derailleur being Shimano

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
IF52 said:
I posted a similar question a year or so ago. In my neck of the woods at the time (Atlanta, GA back then) we were shooting for Anything Butt Shimano, not all USA. My IF was built that way and actually came pretty close to all USA. The only concession to ABS was an XTR front der. since I couldn't get my hands on anything else when I built it and then never bothered to follow through. When built and even mostly still today my bike was all Ringle, Grafton, Joe's, Precision Billet, Answer/Manitou, Real, Sachs, SDG, Wheelsmith, Mavic, Gore, Gripshift, etc. with only the front derailleur being Shimano
The Fat Chance Team Comp was also an attempt to do as much of a USA build as possible... The '80s lacked some of the US-made parts selection that the 90s had though...

·
Registered
205 Posts
azjeff said:
Tires, tubes, seat, were the problem.
I ran a Brooks on my American themed bike. It wasn't exactly American, but considering how close we came to becoming a province in the British empire, close enough. It's from an English speaking country, at least.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I remember an article about an all-American bike years ago but like someone stated above,some of the components didin't work so well. I thought about building a bike myself but the cost was crazy back in the day.

·
Registered
582 Posts
OregonMTB said:
Mountain Bike Magazine did an all USA bike in 1996 or so. You could use the Paul's derailleurs. They noted they did not shift well--I do not remember what they used for shirfters.

I have a pulstar wheelset with sun made in the USA rims for sale right now. It would be fun to put one together today.

OregonMTB]
Didn't they end up using Michelin tires because there were no made in the USA tire choices? I guess French tires were okay since their flag is red, white and blue too ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.