Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,I'm really looking hard at the Jones diamond/truss frameset but I've got a bunch of questions about it. Like what is the most likely "real" bottom bracket height (by real I mean actual when the chain is tensioned properly)? Should I be concerned about pedal strikes if I like to run 175mm cranks? Seems like wide rims are part of the gig (I'm not going with the fat wheel). I like the maxxis ardent 2.4. What rim is my best bet if I want to keep weight down?

I'm sure answers will lead to more q's but for now that's what's nagging my mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 175mms on mine, I get a few strikes when it's rocky but no more than my susser. With gears on I set the EBB at 6pm and have ridden it like that in the Alps w/o any problems - you get used to it. If not, you can raise it half an inch via the EBB. 170mm would be fine, I would be quite happy on the shorter cranks, I just have a load of 175mms spare and haven't seen a need to change as where I ride most of the time isn't so chunky.
edit to add - the short wheelbase does seem to help avoid as many strikes as you may expect for the BB height. I think it's 11.5" but not sure - anyway it's pretty low but in a good way.

One thing I'm glad I listened to Jeff on - rim choice. Flows were what I was intending on using but for the 75g a rim gain P35s are great, as he recommended. The extra width is worth it, makes any 2.2-2.4 tyre work even better, down to 18psi at times (72kg rider). Heaviest wheels I've ever owned and also the most capable. I love them. I'm after some rabbit holes now.

·
Administrator
10,628 Posts
So,I'm really looking hard at the Jones diamond/truss frameset but I've got a bunch of questions about it. Like what is the most likely "real" bottom bracket height (by real I mean actual when the chain is tensioned properly)? Should I be concerned about pedal strikes if I like to run 175mm cranks? Seems like wide rims are part of the gig (I'm not going with the fat wheel). I like the maxxis ardent 2.4. What rim is my best bet if I want to keep weight down?

I'm sure answers will lead to more q's but for now that's what's nagging my mind.

Thanks!

The BB thing is subjective, it seems low and your first ride you might smack your pedals but then your body and mind will adjust and you won't smack things anymore. That said the great thing about an EBB is if it doesn't work in one direction you can always rotate it to the opposing high position and try it there.

When I got my jones i purchased Stans Flows and then a month later the Flow EX's came out. Wish I had gotten the EX, not because it is particularly better, just the room in the back of the jones is enough that I could use my usual tires (spec purgatory) in there on a fatter rim and have straighter sidewalls, a little less pressure and more footprint so to speak. Plus the stans rim are nice and light, compounded by running tubeless. Seem to be plenty strong too.

I did consider the P35 but I just felt like the stans were the way to go. If I could get a set of P35's now I would consider them, especially since they have improved their tubeless performance I think, and they are substantially less money than the Flow EX rims.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts