Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Flagstaff!

[best gameshow host voice]Thats right, Bob! The first person to come forward as a shuttle driver for a day of fun on Mt. Eldon will be provided with the following wonderful items!!!

1. Stimulating conversation while riding passenger in a Chevy truck from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back!

2. Lunch at your choice of the finest fast food establishments Flagstaff has to offer!

3. The opportunity to drive me and 2 of my friends up the hill in Flagstaff so we get to ride down!

4. A full day in the beautiful city of Flagstaff!

5. The opportunity to get outta the valley heat!!

6. Some quality time to read a book or magazine (you provide the reading material!) while we bomb down the hill!

What an incredible opportunity for one lucky contestant! Sign up NOW for your chance to win!! [/best gameshow voice]

Seriously folks, my buddy, brother and myself have been planning a flag trip for a week when our shuttle driver bailed out on us earlier. So, now we are stuck!! Does anyone wanna shuttle us? Have a sig other that wouldn't mind the peace n quiet of a flagstaff day? You're welcome to come along n ride with us if you bring a shuttle driver! Post up here or send me a private message.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Cant you guys drive yourselfs? I mean if one or more people were to join you on the shuttle?

That's how I would go about it, AND I'd be willing to be a participant.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drive ourselves? what a crazy idea!?!!!

Seriously. We wanted someone to be the 'designated driver' for the day, so we could focus on crashing, getting tired, working our butts off and not hafta worry about the 2 hr drive home at the end of a long day. The added benefit would be that we got to jump out at the top of the mtn, ride down and jump back in the truck to do it again!

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Tell you what . . .

I will personally drive up to Flagstaff and wait at the top for Skinny-Tire and after he rides to the top of Mt. Eldon (the radio towers) I will drive him back down so he can do it all over again.

And let's just make it interesting, first time he will do it on his single speed, and second trip he will do it on his beach cruzer.

How do you like me now!

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
DJBiker said:
I will personally drive up to Flagstaff and wait at the top for Skinny-Tire and after he rides to the top of Mt. Eldon (the radio towers) I will drive him back down so he can do it all over again.

And let's just make it interesting, first time he will do it on his single speed, and second trip he will do it on his beach cruzer.

How do you like me now!
And the 3rd time will be on my 49lb SGS

It's simply too easy to ride up on a XC bike.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Another option would be the bike tow up. A strong rider should be able to tow two others with a good piece of rope. Settled then, I will provide the rope in exchange for lunch and Skinny-Tire can tow you guys up in exchange for the rest of your offer. I hear he may have a free pass this weekend anyway. :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Flyinturbo said:
Seriously. We wanted someone to be the 'designated driver' for the day, so we could focus on crashing, getting tired, working our butts off and not hafta worry about the 2 hr drive home at the end of a long day. The added benefit would be that we got to jump out at the top of the mtn, ride down and jump back in the truck to do it again!
How many bikes and riders can your truck carry up the mountain (in addition to the prize winning driver)?

I am negotiating with my bride to go up for a weekend in Flag. She may be willing to be our shuttle driver. We would be coming from Tucson, so would either meet you off the 17, or at the parking area in Flag.

We would not be returning south on Saturday however, so you would have to drive your own bad selves back to the Valley on Saturday.

I of course would want to join you for as many runs down the mountain as we could manage!

Let me know if this would help. Negotiations are ongoing.

John W.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
WARNING WARNING WARNING incoming rant

Shuttling ELDEN?

Christ on a crutch, I wander away from the bikes for a couple months and this is what happens?

Elden shuttlers are pansies. Anyone riding a "big" bike down Elden is a pansy, with the explicit exception of those the allegedly "secret" Wasabi/Blue Dot/etc. evil trails. And even in that case, Elden simply is not THAT big a mountain. End of discussion, full stop.

It's an hour climb! That's IT! You can't handle a little discomfort for 60 minutes? Oh wait, it may take 1:15 if you stop halfway and nosh. First-timers have a 90 minute climbing pass, since they don't know what they're getting into and might wonder why they're breathing so hard. My personal record is 51 minutes, and I was not in peak fighting condition at the time. I could probably bang out a 45 minute on the SS and without a pack or any extra weight.

Shuttle worthy mountain descents are hereby explicitly restricted to the following list:

Mt. Lemmon
Mt. Graham
Pinal Mountain
Mt. Baldy/Big Lake/Mexican Hay Lake area
Mt. Union

Note that "worthy" never, ever means "required." Lemmon may be the exception, given the extreme logistical difficulties involved in getting to the top.

Any questions? Don't bother responding. I'm right, you're wrong.

Frigging pansies. Next thing you know, you'll be wanting equal pay for equal work. :rolleyes:

p.
(Tongue planted so firmly in cheek I'm about to bite it off)

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Come on Paul, you didn't even rip him for misspelling Elden.

BTW, you forgot to add Pemberton to that list.
I save the Elden/Eldon thing for you, editor boy. Professional courtesy and all. ;-)

Pppppemberton? As in that little gopher hill up in Fountain Hills? Or is there a Mt. Pemberton somewhere in the state that slipped under my radar?

p.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Flag this weekend...

I will be up with a phx group for Flag riding this weekend. Rides will start at ~ 10AM from our usual campsite. On Saturday, we plan to do a bit of exploring to find Wassabi and Blue Dot - we will not be on big bikes - some may even be on single speeds with no suspension - we will be riding UP the hills - it will probably be a 25+ miler of a day. On Sunday, we will decide the route in the AM - round-the-peaks has been suggested as it is time to start training for Tour of the White Mountains, but we may be out of juice from Sat's ride.

Join us for riding (Sat and Sun), camping (Fri and Sat nights), or both! Campsite is easy to find - head up Schultz Creek Rd and turn left just after first cattleguard. Find campers ~100 yards on the right side of the road. Look for silver 4Runner, white camper VW van, red Nissan, any number of white trucks, a few passenger cars, several dogs.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Caution - Weather warning!

This past weekend my wife and I rode with Pappajohn and Jm and while they rode more "core" trails we rode Sunset to Shultz Creek, by 11:45 am a light rain had started, by 12:30 the trail was a river and between the hail and just hoping it would let-up enough to let us make it back to the car without drowning (which it didn't) we made it back by 1:00 pm.

So, what we all think as "afternoon" monsoon showers can sometimes start a little sooner than we hope and I sure that last rain left lots o' rain ruts on the Shultz Creek trail, so if you venture onto that side of the Mt. be aware of lots o' new rocks and ruts, I don't think BlueDot got is too bad, but you would would have to ask Jm and John for that one.

Good luck and pray to the rain gods that it's all in Phoenix and none in Flag (doesn't look like that is what's happening, but here's to hoping).

Oh, by the way, Sunset was very nice!

Attachments

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Paul B said:
Elden shuttlers are pansies. Anyone riding a "big" bike down Elden is a pansy, with the explicit exception of those the allegedly "secret" Wasabi/Blue Dot/etc. evil trails. And even in that case, Elden simply is not THAT big a mountain. End of discussion, full stop.
Oh Paul...you just have no idea about the caliber of trails on Elden...

Not the ones that are marked Sunset, Brookbank, Oldham, Schultz, Gnarly...

There are trails there that make the descents in Globe look like childs play-it's that simple. Sure they are longer in globe, but there's so much DH stuff in flag that's tons of fun...Oney, Onion, Blue and Brown Dots, Wasabi, there's more....

·
Registered
171 Posts
papajohn said:
How many bikes and riders can your truck carry up the mountain (in addition to the prize winning driver)?

I am negotiating with my bride to go up for a weekend in Flag. She may be willing to be our shuttle driver. We would be coming from Tucson, so would either meet you off the 17, or at the parking area in Flag.

We would not be returning south on Saturday however, so you would have to drive your own bad selves back to the Valley on Saturday.

I of course would want to join you for as many runs down the mountain as we could manage!

Let me know if this would help. Negotiations are ongoing.

John W.
Let me know how the negotiations turn out. I'm up for riding this weekend. I'd like to check out these "secret" trails in Flag that I've been hearing about.
Have truck, will shuttle!

Chris

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Jm. said:
Oh Paul...you just have no idea about the caliber of trails on Elden...

Not the ones that are marked Sunset, Brookbank, Oldham, Schultz, Gnarly...

There are trails there that make the descents in Globe look like childs play-it's that simple. Sure they are longer in globe, but there's so much DH stuff in flag that's tons of fun...Oney, Onion, Blue and Brown Dots, Wasabi, there's more....
Huh...and here I thought I called those trails out specifically. Wait...let me check what I wrote...

Yup, called 'em out. I know those trails, and that's not what I'm talking about. RIF.

p.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.