Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few rides now, I'm pretty much dissappointed in the Jones XR tires (2.25 front/2.20 rear) that came with my HiFi Deluxe. So looking for something with more bite, especially for cornering with more agressive shoulder blocks.

The Jones XR are not very good in wet/damp/spongy terrain, nor in loose soild. They don't inspire any confidence for cornering on anything but dry hardpack.

Any recommendation for a good replacement. I ride mostly forest singletrack. Hardpack, but with some soft/spongy soil in some spots from moisture, some mud, decent amount of roots, a few rocks. Some log piles. A few gravelly areas. Basically a bit of everything.

I've been running tubes, but my tires and rims are tubeless ready, and when I swap tires, I plan to go tubeless.

Have been thinking Continental Mountain Kings (2.2 or 2.4), but not sure the tread is agressive enough. WTB seems to be some nice agressive tires (Velociraptor, Mutano Raptor, others??). Schwalbe also caught my attention.

Just looking for some ideas based on the terrain I described. My bike is an '08 HiFi Deluxe, and ride basically trail, mild all-mountain. I like the rougher terrain.

thnx :thumbsup:

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Tubeless, large volume tires are your best bets. Tubeless in order to run lower air pressure, large volume to provide a larger contact patch and to take advantage of tubeless lower pressure to keep some traction on the roots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.