Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a Tallboy 3 and I ride a mix of trails in New England. Sometimes it's endless granite, sometimes its smooth and flowy packed dirt, sometimes it's lots of roots or baby head chatter, and sometimes it's a mix of these. I've been happy with the Rekon when I roll plus tires, and I've been mostly happy with the 2.4 EXO/TR Ardents front and rear when I roll 29er tires (except for the tight clearance in the back with a 2.4 Ardent). I do wish I had a bit more traction out back in wet or damp conditions though, as the Ardent slips a lot for me with any moisture at all. Of course I want a fast roller that grips on everything in every condition, but since that doesn't exist, what's the next best thing? I suppose another option would be to swap between plus and 29er wheels based on weather instead of terrain...

Fred

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
In some conditions the rear is just going to slide. No way around it. The Maxxis options from fast rolling to more grip are - Rekon -> Aggressor -> DHR II.

Aggressor doesn't do so well clogged with mud and it also doesn't shed mud that well. DHR II does better. If you get 3C compound for the rear instead of the dual you will have more traction in the wet at the expense of tire life (and it will roll a little slower).

·
Registered
513 Posts
The bontrager's often get the vote for all-rounder, I've run XR4 front with XR2 rear and they were great (mine were 2.6 though). XR3 or even XR4 in rear would give you more grip, but I did like the smooth rolling XR2.

I'm currently on some tires I found on sale: Onza Ibex 2.4 up front ($42 at Jenson, love it so far, could be used in rear). And a Vittoria Morsa 2.3 in back, [email protected] backountry. The Morsa has been exactly what I wanted in dry conditions, but does slip on wet rocks (and it's really 2.4, one mm wider than the Ibex, so may also be a tight fit on your bike).

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
for all conditions ? all rounder ? I'mma big fan of conti trail kings. they roll fast and grip and work up rock faces, off-camber roots and pine needles, can plow thru mud. can't go wrong with them for 'all rounder' duty

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
My current all around setup on my 29er AM HT is a 2.6 XR5 up front & a 2.5 Aggressor out back...

The XR5 is a surprisingly good front tire. It offers high volume, good rolling speed & grip.

I prefer a slightly faster rolling tire out back i.e. the Maxxis Aggressor...

Great volume which is essential on a HT.

Pretty good side knobs, which prevents things getting too sideways.

Plus, it rolls surprisingly quick.

No good in mud!?

Well, this is an all around combo & mud is very specific ;-P

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Why wouldn't you run two XR4s?

I have a Rekon 2.4WT DC. It measures pretty much exactly 2.4 on a 30mm internal rim and I hate it. it feels like it doesn't do anything well. I did a 10 mile loop in loose over hard (lot's of little pebbles on the surface / super dry) yesterday with the Rekon and my conclusion was I forgot how to bike. It weighs about 820 grams. it was honestly so shitty that I was worried the trails were just in that bad of shape. My one sentence for it is "I can never tell what it's doing and it doesn't do anything well."

I had an unused 2.3 Aggressor that I put on and did the exact same loop. I was significantly faster pretty much everywhere. The Aggressor stops, hooks up and communicates better no matter what I am riding. I did not notice the 100 grams extra weight over the Rekon or that it rolled slower.

I was pretty amazed at just how bad the Rekon was for me. I went from thinking I forgot how to bike (Rekon) to getting some second fastest times on the downs (compared to hero dirt days) and PRs on a couple climbs (Aggressor). Same trails, two days apart.

Bontregor has a 30 day "like it or return it" at some point I want to try 2.6 XR4 front and 2.4 XR4 rear (2.4 is on back order right now - but the SE4 is available for the same weight as the Aggressor)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Fast rolling, "aggressive XC" setup, I'm running a 2.6" 3C EXO TR Rekon up front with a 2.6" Bontrager XR2 out back. For something more aggressive, you can try a 2.4" DHR II up front with a 2.35" Forekaster, 2.4" Rekon, or 2.4" XR4 out back. A step up from there, 2.6" XR5 up front / 2.4" SE4 out back is what I'm running for mountain trips.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Onespeed, what do you run on the back? I am thinking Forekaster 2.35 front and Ardent Race 2.2 back of my XC bike which happens to be my all around bike (100/120)
I've run the Forekaster on the front and rear on multiple bikes. Currently on the back of both my SS and my Kona Hei Hei (120/100) with a 2.6 Nobby Nic in front. In race mode I use a Forecaster on the front of the Hei Hei and an Ardent Race out back (or something similar).

I've taken the Forekaster on some pretty chunky terrain on both a hardtail and full suspension, frankly I feel like I beat the snot out of it, and I've never had an issue. Impressive tire. It's tough, light, has grip, but doesn't roll slow. It's good in the wet, good in the dry, works in front, works in the rear. Really have nothing bad to say about it for an "aggressive" XC tire.

For the record I'm 205 lbs and not gentle.

Reactions: Skeptastic

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Nobby Nic 2.35 front/ rear before I would ever run a Forekaster on the front. Both tires are pretty equal as a rear, except maybe a little more grip from the NN.
In addition to my experience, the Forekasters front and rear are LMN approved. LMN knows his ****. So does his significant other. As in, next level.

That said, I personally run Minions or a DHF/Aggressor combo on my bikes, and as always, much depends on terrain and skill level.

·
Banned
895 Posts
In addition to my experience, the Forekasters front and rear are LMN approved. LMN knows his ****. So does his significant other. As in, next level.

That said, I personally run Minions or a DHF/Aggressor combo on my bikes, and as always, much depends on terrain and skill level.
LMN? We all can agree that terrain, the bike/dirt you ride on is the biggest factor on tire selection. The Forekaster is also a 755g tire, so it's in a different league and I would never compare it to the 900g Aggressor for where and what I ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.