Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please also throw in all links and thread previously devoted to this.
A 69 question every few hours, it seems... :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
AKAIK, few of the 96/69er posts are queries about who makes an off-the-shelf version. For the most part, posts are from people who want to know how to put a 29" wheel on their 26" bike and from people who want to argue about whether this is a good idea.

BTW, any chance you can use your "inside" font when posting? :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Read between the lines

Why? It requires a little reading between the lines. This board was - I suspect - in part set up to show the bike industry that 29 inch bikes are gaining popularity and make more 29 inch specific parts. If there are a ton of 69er questions, it weakens the 29er movement.

Personally, I think all the 69er activity is a display of some ****** in the 29 inch armor. People are not entirely satisfied and are looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Or perhaps they feel that if they can't afford a full on 29er - then at least having one big hoop in front is better than none at all.

For example - right now, I can't afford to buy a 29er FS frame, but I can try out a 69er FSer for little to nothing by using a Reba 29er and the front wheel from my Inbred.

Lots of reasons why people are trying out this concept.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
People are extremely open to arguments that say "lighter weight", "shorter" and that sort of thing. Will more likely buy a $$$ frame a size smaller than a manufacturer advises too rather than getting a custom frame that costs less. Because they think it will be "quicker", and that that would be a good thing.
Keeping one wheel 26" gives them idea "see, I was right now to jump in right away, it all seemed too easy to make both wheels bigger, there's gotta be a catch or better concept closer to my current bike I (think I) love.
Due to convenience, we see most conversions with a 29" front, 26" rear. Rear wheel are so much harder to convert, the fork is exchangeable and allows for geometry re-tuning.
Had this worked out differently (all 26"er coming with heaps of tire clearance and lowish BB's), Carver might have gone for a longer travel 26" front end, a 29" rear, and everyone would be looking to copy that, then for a whole other (longer) set of arguments.
In Europe, what held back the 29" movement for a big part in he beginning, was a negative vibe against Gary Fisher as a person who was pushing it. Funny, as he pretty much gave the naysayers their 26" bike, and named it for them. apart from that, he was "right" about a few other things bike said naysayers are taking very much for granted today. Yet, they'll rather let a personal thing get in the way of them riding a bike that works out fine for most everyone that seriously tries it.
Some will now say that 29" riders (or me specifically are the same, not open to the 26" rear wheel in a bike. However, here it's mosly people speaking for up to 20 or even more years of riding 26" bikes, who have made the switch relatively recently and know all about the differences, pro AND con.
One thing 69 has againt it : it came AFTER 29", thus has no valid technical arguments that give it real merit. Just marketing and one really fast dude passionately advocating them, using his legs to underline his point. Then, he won races against anyone riding 26/26 in fields of nothing else too.

I actually see few "which brand offer 69" threads, just LOADS of folks hoping their shiny $$$$$ ride will give them another season after $800 was investing in giving it a 29" front end.

The ideal conversion bike for me would be : a long travel XC FS bike, especially the front. That way a 29" suspension fork won't throw of geometry too much. The rear travel setup correctly will mask the mis-timing of bumps, add traction and comfort. It would be heavier than a 29" softtail, but function similarly, at least on well rolling trails, no extreme conditions like sand.

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
i LOVE my 96er! in my opinion, not any one elses, and im not trying to ram this down anyones throat(unlike others) it is far the best bike i have ridden. again my opinion, and im still allowed that on here, arnt i????????????? ;0)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RockStarRacing said:
i LOVE my 96er! in my opinion, not any one elses, and im not trying to ram this down anyones throat(unlike others) it is far the best bike i have ridden. again my opinion, and im still allowed that on here, arnt i????????????? ;0)
It would be interesting to know your setup and prior bikes, and full 29" experience to put the above in context. Where is you you feel 69 as a concept works out so well for you, compared o what, 26" or 29"

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
i know you love 29ers and i commend your enthusiasm, its just my carver 96er suits me better, im only 5ft 7 and a bit, and my fisher rig even decked out with nice bits to get it to 22lbs just doesnt ride as nice as a similar spec 96er, but others may differ, as i said, its my opinion. im alot quicker, my allround riding is better i climb quicker and descend faster. and i enjoy riding it. but im not giving up on 29ers, im thinking of getting carver to do me a ti 29er.........to go along with the ti 96er.........

·
Registered
29 Posts
96ers Rock........star

RockStarRacing said:
i know you love 29ers and i commend your enthusiasm, its just my carver 96er suits me better, im only 5ft 7 and a bit, and my fisher rig even decked out with nice bits to get it to 22lbs just doesnt ride as nice as a similar spec 96er, but others may differ, as i said, its my opinion. im alot quicker, my allround riding is better i climb quicker and descend faster. and i enjoy riding it. but im not giving up on 29ers, im thinking of getting carver to do me a ti 29er.........to go along with the ti 96er.........
I'm with you RockStar, I have/had 26 &29 inch bikes and initially it was curosity that lead me to the carver 96er concept but after trying them I think its the platform for me.
So now I have 2 (ss and geared versions) and another on the way (full sus).
I totally agree it has enhanced my riding ability and enthusiasm.

Cheers from Downunder

·
Registered
139 Posts
69er good way to start down the 29er road

I have time in the saddle of every set up. In the last year I own and have ridden: 26er “S” Enduro, G.F. geared 29er h.t. w/ REBA, NINER rigid SS, Intense 29er s.t. w/REBA , Intense SOCOM 69er as pictured.
On the climbs I don’t think the 69er gets you anywhere, as most of the weight is on the rear wheel.
On the flats 69er gets you ½ way to the rolling speed of a full 29er.
On the turns 69er gets you the better carving of the 29er front wheel. The 29er wheel gets deflected less, rolls junk better and holds a line better.
On the down hill 69er gets you most of the 29er feel. Going down, more weight and control is on the front wheel so the rear wheel is less noted.

If you have the means to “get” or “convert” a 26er to 69er do it! I can’t see a down side. Don’t let stupid numbers hold you back. “ DUDE!! You Head tube angle will be off!” “Man your bottom bracket will be too high!!!!” BLA BLA BLA
Do it and cook them on the next ride.

Some personal insights: 29er wheel does not fully engage braking bumps (these little buggers are mostly made by 26” wheels) amazing coincidence 26er wheel fits into them perfectly. 29er wheel skims over tops. On a medium steep down hill ( like a logging road ) 29er rolls much faster than 26er. 29er much easier to ride on rocky, rutted, rooty, nasty trails. Much faster on smooth trails. Supper faster coasting. Looks better parked.

If it wasn’t such a battle of “who’s right” and “who’s wrong” And if you could get any bike and/or part in 29er flavor I think 29er wins in most areas. People complain about quickness and handling in tight turns of 29ers. In any slow speed / technical situation, I think rider skill is far more important than equipment. Put a good rider on a junk bike and he will out ride a loser on a 7k super bike everyday. Another complaint I don’t get is wheel base? If you want to go fast, longer is better right? My goal is to ride “faster”. So if I need to slow my “fast bike” down to go around a corner I bet I will be going “faster” as soon when I manage to get those huge wheels turning again. BTW this only counts on hairpin turns because everything short of 90 degrees I can rail faster on the “long wheel base” “ huge wheel” 29er. Acceleration? What are they talking about? Two or three hard pumps? Again does rider conditioning have anything to do with pushing the pedals harder?
Ok three fat guys, one on a 26er, one on a 69er, one on a 29er. In the end the 29er guy will win because he will coast home faster. The 69er guy will be second. Third guy will spew facts and figures the rest of the week as to why 69er and 29er’s suck.

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks RockStar, glad to hear it improved your riding experience.
I'd still be interested to hear which specific riding characteristics are working so well for you.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Let's just call so-called "69ers" simply "retarded bikes". It is not fair to bastardize the term "69" for such an application. In fact, the very thought of a "69er" bike is antithetical to the pure glory of 69ing.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts