Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by this post.

While planning to buy one or two tyre sets for a 29er i'm building, i've made a table of all actual 29er tyres.

Here it is:

All data is taken from manufacturers' websites.

Schwalbe's 29er tyres are known to be 0.15" narrower than declared. Actual width is provided in the table.

Tread height is measured by the eye and is very inaccurate.

Massiveness is weight divided by width. Kinda reference value. The more the massiveness, the better are the speed qualities of the tyre and the less is it's reliability. I believe that tyres with massiveness less than 2.4 (they weigh less than 500 grams) are for professional sport only because they'll wear out quickly and are pierced/torn easily.

The table let me decide what tyres to aim for. Here's my pick.

1) Goal: light tourism and weekend rides. Mostly asphalt, some ground and a little mud/sand.

WTB Nano Raptor 29er

Width: 2.1".
Weight: 560 г.

ConstPetrov (rus) pointed out that a continous central thread is the only option that provides good rolling qualities to an XC tyre. Other choice was Maxxis Crossmark but it's heavier and is said to be slippery.

2) Goal: weekend rides with MTB elements. Some asphalt, some ground, some mud/sand.

Continental X-King II

Width: 2.4".
Weight: 760 г.

Even if it's width appears narrower than declared, its weight would be still lighter than of its candidates.

I ain't got the guts to ride terrain that requires such a wide tyre. On the other hand, taking into consideration that my weight with bike and stuff may reach 125kg (275 pounds), extra width is not out of place.
Please provide tyre names that i missed (but i intentionally leaved tyres that are no longer manufactured).

I'd also be thankful for considerations on my choice of tyres for my needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry lamdman1976, i haven't collected that info.

If you want, i can make you an editor of the table. You add a column "Tubeless yes/no" and fill it out. :) That'll be not too dull as long as you've got all links to the info.

I started collecting info on puncture protection, max. psi, max. load, compound, technologies, bead, purpose, class etc, but too many fields were blank, so i decided to delete those rows.

PS I forgot Nokian tyres. :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
Psssst... look up, in the square with the search button , right under the MTBR logo...

There is a link that says 'TIRE WEIGHT LIST' :idea:

If you have new weights, post them in that topic. You got some interesting extra information though! Might be a good idea to combine this information with Meltingfeaters'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JeroenK said:
'TIRE WEIGHT LIST' :idea:
What's that? A thread where people post tire weights they had measured?

Is there a table that sums up the info?

I think your link is somewhat useless as it is.

JeroenK said:
If you have new weights, post them in that topic.
I don't own a spring scale so can't tell any weights.

·
Registered
821 Posts
lolmaus said:
What's that? A thread where people post tire weights they had measured?

Is there a table that sums up the info?

I think your link is somewhat useless as it is.
I am sorry. I thought you would actually read the thread. My mistake ;).

Every tire weight that is posted in that thread leads to an entry in this table: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApcNMgTrSzkTcmpCbmF5Y0Q0cmd6VGdTN0JsUWotQnc&hl=en#gid=0

Check out the table and you will learn that you do not need a scale ;).

Seriously, you guys should team up. Real world information about weight, height and width is much more useful than their advertised counterparts, which can be way off. Height and width is hard to normalize though, because of differences due to rim size and tire pressure.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.