Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an Alien XS multitool from my local bikeshop. After leaving the shop I realized the tool doesn't say Topeak, but "Next". Fine print on the back of the package says "Next is manufactured for Walmart Corp. by PTI Sports, Yonkers NY, 10701."

The tool appears completely identical to the ones that say Topeak from the pictures I've seen online. Likewise, the description on the package is identical to the description of the Alien XS on the Topeak website. The only differences I can see are that the word Alien is spelled "Alien" on the package, instead of "ALiEN" like the Topeak ones. And of course it says "Next" instead of "Topeak."

Does anyone know anything about these? Are they a cheap ripoff, or is the Next company a subdivision of Topeak that they set up specifically to make their products for Walmart, which somehow ended up at my local bikeshop...?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Happens a lot. I really doubt Topeak makes much if anything. It's all outsourced and Topeak is just the marketing company. Sounds like they got the packages mixed up and sent some WalMart stock to Topeak instead. I would go to the bike department at WalMart and see if they have the same item. That would be messed up. In a lot of cases, there are exclusive rights to manufacturer's designs so things like this don't happen. Who knows though.

From high end frames to chain lube, very few companies actually manufacture the stuff they put their label on. It's not just the bike industry either. Sears doesn't manufacture anything either. They outsource to other companies the manufacturing of their Kenmore and Craftsman products.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Check the Alien XS reviews.
Apparently Topeak made a bunch for walmart but didn't want to put their name on them.
The XS is apparently subject to more breakage than the origional but they don't make the origional anymore.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
some_guy282 said:
I recently bought an Alien XS multitool from my local bikeshop. After leaving the shop I realized the tool doesn't say Topeak, but "Next". Fine print on the back of the package says "Next is manufactured for Walmart Corp. by PTI Sports, Yonkers NY, 10701."

The tool appears completely identical to the ones that say Topeak from the pictures I've seen online. Likewise, the description on the package is identical to the description of the Alien XS on the Topeak website. The only differences I can see are that the word Alien is spelled "Alien" on the package, instead of "ALiEN" like the Topeak ones. And of course it says "Next" instead of "Topeak."

Does anyone know anything about these? Are they a cheap ripoff, or is the Next company a subdivision of Topeak that they set up specifically to make their products for Walmart, which somehow ended up at my local bikeshop...?
Many Topeak products are sold at Wal*Mart under the NEXT label. A couple of years ago I bought a SmartHead digital pressure gauge at Wal*Mart that is the same as the Topeak version at 2/3rds the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.