Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day everyone,

Just getting into servicing and repairing my own bike.

After cleaning my chain with one of those cassette thingies that you clip over the chain, fill with degreaser and pedal I have come to thew conclusion that the results are pretty much cosmetic only. Removing the chain would seem to be the only way to properly clean it.

Having said that, being a newbie means I have never cut a chain before and therefore I am a little hesitant to do it - OK cutting it seems simple enough but reinstalling it with replacement pins is a bit beyond me at present. I have to do this anyways as my chain is too long according to the Barnett's Manual. Therefore I am considering replacing my HG-73 chain with an Sram chain that has this Powerlink System so any feedback from those who have this chain and which model to get would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mullos

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
inspect your chain closely and you will see a link that is different than the rest, thats the master link. If you look closely you can see how it comes apart, usually squeeze together and it will pop apart. you can re use it so don't lose it. The chain breaker has a pin and a nut or hex screw you place your chain in the device so that the pin pushes a roller out where you want to cut it then tighten the nut or screw and out it comes.

unless you are having problems with your chain and/ or gears you should leave well enough alone , other than cleaning & lube and depending on how many miles on the drive train I would'nt switch chain brands on something with alot of wear as the rear cassette and front chain rings might be worn to fit the old chain ( look for hook shaped teeth and / or bent & broken or worn) If you shorten the chain you will most likely have to adjust the deraillier and you may not be able to put it in the high high gear range

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
with the chain cleaners i fond that if i use soap and water followed by a good wipe with a rag i get a better clean than using degreasers....with the Sram chains just find the one you need for you application and go for it the powerlink (masterlink) is really nice to have...but that said unless you have worn out your chain there is an easy method here

only shorten shorten your chain if you having trouble with it skipping when your pushing it in a tall gear...if this is the case then shorten it one link at a time with a serious ride in between
DMR

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Fwiw

most riders on the Norshore use SRAM; you can undo the power link and wash it any way you wish. I stick mine in the dishwasher a few times a year, comes out like new. Do NOT let your wife find out this gem of knowledge, she'll just tell the others and we'll all be in deep )*^%^&$^@. Jim

·
bang
1,290 Posts
the shimano chains (or my old hg-73 chain at least) don't have master links. i just use a rag and simple green and rubbing alcohol to wipe down my chain (simple green to degrease; alcohol to remove any residue / leftover grime). relube and wipe off the excess; works ok for me. replace chain after it's stretched 1/8" or 3mm.

i replaced my hg-73 with a sram pc-59. works good for me but it doesn't shift quite as smoothly (or, you have to have good technique and timing to get it to shift smoothly). raced my bike a couple of days after replacing it and it held up fine. also, it was much easier to break than the shimano chain. it was a royal PITA getting that shimano chain off using my mini chain tool! sore hands anyone?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
power link doesnt unlock for me. saw there's a special pair of pliers for power link chains, figured that was why. if your chain breaks at a link other than the power link, you'll still need a chain tool so why bother.

you still have to use a regular chain tool to shorten sram chains. at least, that's how i did. i use the chain tool on the crank bros multi tool. the tool body and the link tab gives good enough leverage without killing my hands.

you dont have to be super anal about chain cleaning. if you broke your chain to clean it once a month, the cost of replacement links or pins would more than add up to a new chain over the course of a year. which, you'd want to do anyway.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
just have your LBS trim your chain.....if you do it yourself than take your shock off (if you have rear travel) push it through all the travel. have the bike in the easiest gear in the cassett and the biggest cog for the cranks...then cut your chain to size

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody....

Thanks to all those who replied - read in another forum that the Sram powerlinks will also work with a Shimano HG73 chain even though Sram specifically states it is not recommended - might get an xtra couple of powerlinks and try it out as JensonUSA has some HG73 OE chains on sale for $5.00 USD at the mo - could not hurt to stock up at that price what do ya reckon??

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
for $5 you could throw them away once a month! I spend $5 monthly cleaning and lubing mine. but I never take it off. In fact in 10 years I've only had to replace my chain twice but I clean & lube it after every ride. I use dry lube all summer(does'nt attract dirt) and wet lube in winter & spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts