Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Alfine SL-S500 Shifter - Brake Lever Options

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  aljee 
#1 · (Edited)
Got the new rapidfire shifter in a packaged deal with a Nexus 8 premium hub and roller brake. Short of modifying the OGD and running a v-brake lever inboard, should I run the right lever outboard, or just get a shifter with integrated lever? Looks like the outboard position may be awkward and takes up alot of space on the backsweep bars. Any suggestions on the specific lever - LBS suggested Nexus BL-IM65 - is also appreciated....thanks for the help,
Jim

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Yep, I saw the thread on the OGD surgery, but that was not an option - this build is for my wife :) Thanks for the info though...and also on the lever - looks like it may be a better match for the Afine trigger.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
For anyone who cares/FYI :)

This is a response from a similar post I made on the hubstripping forum.
http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/alfine-shimano/

"Hi Jim/jatatoo,
Do you have the Alfine shifter yet? It is functionally the same as all the Shimano Rapidfire shifters for the last 20 years or so, meaning, it is designed to work in conjunction with + independently of the brake lever. The gear display doesn't conflict with the brake lever if the shifter is mounted properly, inside the brake lever. (and you'd have to search long and hard to find a v-brake lever that will NOT work with it). Having separate shift and brake levers allows you to adjust both for the application, (type of riding,etc.) and preference of the rider (reach,hand size, etc). Many riders prefer this adaptability, and separate adjustment of the brake and shift levers. On the other hand, using a "one-piece" brake+shifter design (Shimano mtn STI) as is seen frequently on Nexave or Nexus as you mentioned, doesn't allow this - you are stuck with the shifter position relative to the brake lever as it comes out of the box. Most of the time, for most people, this works fine, but if you don't like how it feels, you are stuck with it because the shifter can't be moved relative to the brake lever.

Apart from all that, the Alfine right shifter is well made, works well with v-brake, cantilever, and hydraulic brake levers, and the gear display is designed to not conflict with any typical handlebar/shifter setups. And the Nexus 8 has been proven many times since its introduction to be a sound reliable choice. So be assured you have a good shifter/ hub combination that should give many years of great riding. Hope this helps."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.