Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After liberally soaking my drivetrain in seawater the other night some interesting noises ensued :eek:

Got me thinking about IGH and specifically the Alfine.

I would be grateful for anyfeedback with regard to Alfining a Pug and how it goes.

Thanks,
Dr FG:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
my alfine is still in the box:rolleyes: ,waiting on my present chainline to wear out then get my rear rim laced up to it,have a surly stainless chainring and a meaty bmx pitch stainless chain to fit for a bomber drivechain:thumbsup:
vikb has an alfie hub on his pug and it survived a baja mexico tour:) http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/category/winter-biking/

·
Registered
14,709 Posts

I've been riding an Alfine IGH in my Pug since Dec:

- sandy beach riding with some saltwater splashing
- fine dusty desert riding
- deep clean snow
- winter city riding [slush, grit & salt]
- offroad touring [CDN GDR]

So far it's been flawless.

My buddy has one in his Pug as well and we mostly ride Pugs together so we have two data points.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I'm really happy running a thumbshifter with a 7spd rear cassette, Whirley's, and XT derailleurs with a XT 775 hub. Really requires very little maintenance or worry. My Alfine still seems a little finicky and I actually prefer regular geared drivetrains to it. They just seem a bit more robust. But I've also stayed away from 9spd. I only use 7 and 8.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got an Alfine and shifter off E bay for a good price :)

My current set up is Shimano dual control LX.

I presume I won`t be able to use this with the Alfine and will therefore need to use `normal` brakes.

My question is, what brake set up will work best on Titec H bars with the Alfine shifter ??

Thanks,
Dr FG

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
im not sure Dr FG but maybe you can just change the master cylinders to save replacing all your brakes?,or just swap with another bike:)
off down to glentress today,,not on the pug,taking the uber v, only full suss bike now! as sold my heckler to buy a big trailbike back from a friend i sold it to last year,gona be wierd riding a suss bike again,been 2 months as always on the pug or KM!!

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi CK,

yes I think parts swappage may well be the answer !

Just been in the garage the see what I can do.

I will probably swap back the origional (from the Pug) Hayes brakes from my Wife`s bike and donate the Dual controls to her :)

Looks like I may need to shorten the RHS Ergon grip to accomodate the shifter (looking at Vic`s flicker album).

Next problem`s going to be the wheel build as I DON`T have the `spacer` for dishing the rear wheel :(

Enjoy Glentress :thumbsup:

·
Candlestick Maker
3,298 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Just got an Alfine and shifter off E bay for a good price :)

My current set up is Shimano dual control LX.

I presume I won`t be able to use this with the Alfine and will therefore need to use `normal` brakes.

My question is, what brake set up will work best on Titec H bars with the Alfine shifter ??

Thanks,
Dr FG
I'm running a Nexus red-band on my Fat Inbred with Titec H-bars and I'm running an Alfine on my Monocog 29er with Jones H-bars. Twisty shifter on both.

I'll say that the combo of the twisty and h-bars is a compromise, because it really sorta takes away one of my favorite positions (the junction of the angled bar and the straight bar). Any grip that goes on with the twisty will be really small. One of the reasons I stuck w/ the cork grip seen in the pics below is because the end of the grip is actually thick and provides another 3/8" of length over a thin wall grip.

I have shorter brake levers on my Inbred and longer (vuelta mag) levers on my Monocog. I definitely prefer the longer levers. I run Avid BB-7 front/rear on the Monocog and front on the Inbred. The rear of the Inbred is the roller-brake.

The grip of the twist grip proved to be a bit of an issue in bad mud. I couldn't twist it until I managed to clear the grip of almost all mud.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Dr. Feelygood, you can order the offset tool through Quality. They're about $10. You can still use the dual control levers, just remove the little thumb part and the shifting cables, or just get any Shimano hydrualic lever and put with your brakes, bleed and go. Ergon makes short grips for grip shift as well. Another option is to see if you can cut down the end piece of the bar and slide the JTek shifter over it so you have a bar end shifter on the front part of the bar. They come with a shim for small diameter bars.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

Vik, it`s going to be an Alfine trigger (? like yours) so I think a bit of surgery (!) will be required to the right hand Ergon to accomodate this.

Hey Baker when you say BAD mud you really mean it !

Fat Inbred looking good under the Mud :D

Thanks for the advice re-QBP and the offset tool Schmucker :thumbsup:

Think I will swap out the Dual Controls to my Wife`s bike and use the Hayes as they have longer lever blades.

Really looking foreward to adding an IGH to the Pug.

Cheers,
Dr FG.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,298 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Thanks for the replies :)

Vik, it`s going to be an Alfine trigger (? like yours) so I think a bit of surgery (!) will be required to the right hand Ergon to accomodate this.

Hey Baker when you say BAD mud you really mean it !

Fat Inbred looking good under the Mud :D

Thanks for the advice re-QBP and the offset tool Schmucker :thumbsup:

Think I will swap out the Dual Controls to my Wife`s bike and use the Hayes as they have longer lever blades.

Really looking foreward to adding an IGH to the Pug.

Cheers,
Dr FG.
I'm curious to find out what length of grip you can use with the trigger. If its longer than what I managed w/ the twisty, maybe I'll switch at some point.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,298 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Baker,
here is Vik`s Pic of his Pug H bar setup with a Alfine trigger, hope you find it useful :)
His grips look much longer than my setup. Are both the trigger and brake lever on the other side of the cross-bar? I would have thought they'd be too hard to reach that way...

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More pix that may help.

My pug H bars with dual controls and a pic of the Alfine shifter.

The clamp of the Alfine trigger shifter (on Vics) appears to be on the `grip` side of the H bar with the gear indicator sitting over the T junction and the brakes on the other side of the T junction.

Attachments

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my Alfine today :)

Stripped it out of the almost laughably puny 23mm wide DT rim to which it was laced (Fat bikes really do skew your perspective !).

I can`t decide whether to lace it up to my current Large Marge, or should I go for a wider (ie 100mm) rim???

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Dr FG.

·
Registered
14,709 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Baker,
here is Vik`s Pic of his Pug H bar setup with a Alfine trigger, hope you find it useful :)

Alfine trigger is on the grip side of bar and brakes are on the far side of the bar from the grips. No surgery is required.

I find this works okay for non-technical riding. For full on MTBing I'd want some different brake levers that adjusted to bring levers closer to the bars. As the bike is setup now I can't reach the brakes from the rear most position on the bars - where I get the most leverage. For beach/snow riding and touring no big deal. For technical MTBing I want max leverage and brakes at the same time.

So far I've just been too lazy to swap out the levers as I haven't done a ton of techy riding with the Pugsley - yet!

·
Candlestick Maker
3,298 Posts
Vik-
Excellent info. I should probably pick up a trigger shifter and give it a shot. I've actually been accidentally shifting a lot w/ my twisty, which I didn't used to do. hmmm...

My main gripe w/ the nexus/alfine shifters is the gear indicator window. I wish they'd just leave that off or have it removable. It takes up valuable real estate w/ an H-bar.

thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts