Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Aussie Bike Bashing
44 Posts
I have noticed that a number of online bike stores are now selling the alfine 11 oil. Slane Cycles and Bikesonline are two sites that stock the oil.

Be aware though that the oil is separate from the bleeding kit (kit number is TL-S703), and Shimano are pricing this kit at an extortionate rate - the sites I have seen selling the bleeding kit have it priced at about $60 USD :eek: That is for a plastic syringe, bleeding nipple, and a (empty) container.

The oil is a little better - it costs about $15 USD for 50mL, which accoring to the servicing instructions will last for 2 services. A 1L oil supply sells for around $80 USD.

I would stick to the proper oil - Shimano are making it clear that this oil has a particular viscosity that suits the alfine 11 hub.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pinchphlat said:
The oil is a little better - it costs about $15 USD for 50mL, which accoring to the servicing instructions will last for 2 services.
No, according to the servicing instructions you need 50ml new oil/1replacement. But still not bad price.

1. remove old oil
2. inject 25ml new oil
3. While performing gear-change operations, turn the pedals to
turn the wheel for about 1 minute.
Keep the wheel still without rotating for about 1 minute.
Remove the oil.
4.Inject 25 ml of new oil into the hub

·
Aussie Bike Bashing
44 Posts
I agree Irrah that the oil is pretty cheap even if 50mL is used in the service. I hadn't realised from the service instructions that 25mL of oil just gets inserted into the hub purely for cleaning reasons and then sucked back out and not used again. However it makes sense I guess to ensure that any crud inside the hub is removed.

Has anyone on mtbr had some practical experience with changing the oil on an Alfine 11? I haven't come to my first service yet, so any feedback would be appreciated. Is it as simple as the Simano service instructions make out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the 25ml info. I have just completed a first oil change; I couldn't
Find any oil to drain! I've put 25ml of [very old] ep90 gearbox oil; thick
And stinks of scrap yards.

I did have immediate gear selection issues but Properly locating tha plastic
Lock clip sorted that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
Anyone had any luck with alternative oil for the Alfine 11 yet, issues, working better or worse, etc?
Need to service mine, or I would like to service mine, see if it helps it run a little smoother.
Any advice on alternative oils would be welcome

Cheers

Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bikesonline

I got my kit and two bottles of oil from bikesonline.com for about C$130. Not cheap, but cheaper than my lbs.

Anyone else change the oil on their Alfine 11 only to find there wasn't any oil in it? Just did my first oil change today, and not a drop. One would think shimano would ship the hub oiled!

·
Aussie Bike Bashing
44 Posts
Bighoof, my alfine 11 had oil in it when I went to give it a service. I sucked out a good amount of blackish oil - I presume it had some metalic particles and dirt in it.

Perhaps your hub has had a leak? Mine leaks a very small amount occasionally in hot weather, although this has never caused me any problems with the hubs performance, and there has always been plenty of oil left for me to suck back out again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shubda ... The threads for the oil port are 8mm. I use an 8mm grease fitting that can be purchased at any auto supply store.
You will have to drill it out so the oil can flow freely.
Attach the tubing to the fitting at one end, and the syringe at the other.
The same auto supply store also sells the large plastic syringe with the 25cc markings.

·
Aussie Bike Bashing
44 Posts
I have been sucking the oil out of my hub using a big 50mL syringe. The syringe I am using has a thread on the end that I have attached a 6mm grease nipple onto. I also found that a 6mm grease nipple fits nicely into the Alifine 11 oil port. So I have just connected the two with some clear plastic tubing and it works great.

I got the grease nipples from my local auto store, and as a previous poster indicated, I needed to remove the backflow stop valve to make them work (I did this by grinding the back off the nipples with a dremel tool). The nipples were very cheap ($3 AUD for both) and the syringe was $10 AUD from a kitchen store (it was originally intended for meat tenderising).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.