Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 361 Posts

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
The BikeCo tune for the rear shock is CRAZY good. Makes the rear end work really well. It's a pretty sweet setup....

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
Have you ridden the bike with stock tune?
I have ridden it with the stock tune. While good; it's at the limits of what they can do for a shock that is for "everyone" if you catch my drift.

I filled out a long form, had an interview, and I have to say--they nailed the tune. I don't know how, but they did.

·
mtbrer
969 Posts
I have ridden it with the stock tune. While good; it's at the limits of what they can do for a shock that is for "everyone" if you catch my drift.

I filled out a long form, had an interview, and I have to say--they nailed the tune. I don't know how, but they did.
Thanks. Good to know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't really have anything to compare it to, I bought a large Arktos ST with the XT build in July as a return to mountain biking after a 3.5 year hiatus.

That being said, it beats the hell out of what I remember 29ers and mountain bikes in general being like. I was easily riding things I wouldn't have considered on my old SC superlight 29. I like that you get factory level suspension on all builds, but would've preferred a 150mm dropper. I think the reason they spec a 125 is due to the longer seat tube mast above the top tube. I have a 34" inseam with a short torso and could easily make a 150mm work, but someone who's the same height with a different build might not be able to get the seat low enough.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I am doing a self build. Going with full XTR except XT SB cranks, Pike Ultimate, Bike Yoke Dropper and 1530g DT 240 carbon wheelset.

Light grey frame, silver Pike and XTR shouldn’t be hard on the eyes. Certainly different than all the murdered out bikes out there. I am hoping for a lightweight versatile build that I can switch out tires depending on the situation.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Let’s see it! This thread needs pics. The alchemy builds are a step above most other companies for sure. Factory DPX2 and 36 fork and a non disposable wheelset at a solid price

I don't really have anything to compare it to, I bought a large Arktos ST with the XT build in July as a return to mountain biking after a 3.5 year hiatus.

That being said, it beats the hell out of what I remember 29ers and mountain bikes in general being like. I was easily riding things I wouldn't have considered on my old SC superlight 29. I like that you get factory level suspension on all builds, but would've preferred a 150mm dropper. I think the reason they spec a 125 is due to the longer seat tube mast above the top tube. I have a 34" inseam with a short torso and could easily make a 150mm work, but someone who's the same height with a different build might not be able to get the seat low enough.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I don't stop to take photos too often, so I only have a few:

2gguUjEl.jpg

ArkmB0Ol.jpg

KOJwIrTl.jpg

I haven't done anything to it yet expect buy some clear film to put over most of the frame. I've tried a few different grips in search of a solution for my hands hurting on long, rough downhills, but haven't found anything satisfactory yet.

I don't think I'll change anything beyond the seat and maybe spring for a one up carbon bar if ESI chunky silicone grips don't solve the hand problems. I might get a 54T ratchet for the rear hub.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
I don't stop to take photos too often, so I only have a few:

I haven't done anything to it yet expect buy some clear film to put over most of the frame. I've tried a few different grips in search of a solution for my hands hurting on long, rough downhills, but haven't found anything satisfactory yet.

I don't think I'll change anything beyond the seat and maybe spring for a one up carbon bar if ESI chunky silicone grips don't solve the hand problems. I might get a 54T ratchet for the rear hub.
Mght just be me, but pics aren’t showing up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used tags like I'm used to on most forums, seems MTBR likes it more when I attach it with a direct link. Should be all good now.

Just to keep adding to the thread, I bought in straight from Alchemy HQ, which is about 15 minutes from my house. They set the brakes up moto style for me and were running a nice discount on 11spd XT bikes.

·
mtbrer
969 Posts
Can anyone that has, or had ridden, a 29ST compare to other bikes for points of reference?

BikinAggie, I know you said you’re coming off a Superlight 29. The Arktos is “better” across the board?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can anyone that has, or had ridden, a 29ST compare to other bikes for points of reference?

BikinAggie, I know you said you’re coming off a Superlight 29. The Arktos is “better” across the board?
The superlight was better at really tight turns, that's about it. I can climb better with the Arktos because I have more traction due to tires and the suspension, it just rolls forward and grips. Descending isn't even a fair comparison, 3* slacker head angle, a 50mm vs 100mm stem, more and better damped suspension travel, chunkier tires on wider rims, a much stiffer frame and wheelset. The arktos is just way more fun to ride. I think my 1st or 2nd ride I was going over features I wouldn't have even tried on the Superlight because I'd have been OTB, and now that I'm used to it, I can climb things on the Arktos that would've intimidated me on the superlight. I bet I'd be having similar fun on a yeti SB130, revel rascal, GG trail pistol, SC hightower, etc. There are tons of really fun, beefy mid travel 29ers out there right now!

I ended up on the Arktos because the Bike mag review brought it to my attention, it was specced the way I wanted with little to no compromises for the money, and I can go to Alchemy over lunch from my office. The biggest problem I have now is do I want to go for a mountain bike ride on great trails, or go for a motorcycle ride on great roads.

·
mtbrer
969 Posts
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I’m pretty interested in purchasing one of these bikes. But there’s a little voice nagging at me about buying a bike sight unseen and without a chance to demo.

Then I realized... I’ve been MTBing since 1988 and I’ve never demoed a bike before buying. Crazy, right?

My first Stumpjumper, in 1988 ,I acquired used as payment for rent.
1997 a new SC Heckler as I liked the simple design. Followed by a Superlight when the Heckler was stolen... brief time on a Ventana before going with a SC Tallboy LT in 2012. I did demo a Tallboy in 2010 or 11 when they came out, bought the Tallboy LT sight unseen.

Over 30 years of MTBing - never a demo before buying... Since then I’ve demoed a few bikes for fun; the last couple, a Trail 429 & a Ripmo, opened my eyes a little to modern bike geo. Maybe planted the new-bikeitis seed.

Now wanting this 29ST... please feel free to talk me out of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Never demo before with my last 4 bike purchases and all where unseen via online. All purchases have been based on reviews. I never had an issue or regrets.

The bike is super capable and fun to ride. You cannot beat the suspension specs, lifetime warranty, and Alchemy 's customer support and their responsiveness is superb from my experience.

pull the trigger!

IMG_0652.jpg

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
IMG_3220.jpg

Received this today. 1st ride review:

"Climbs like a goat"
"Climbs better than me"
"Corners on rails"
"Accelerates like a scalded monkey"
"Velco-like traction on technical climbs"
"poppy"
"likes to get rowdy"
"incredible mid-stroke support"
"feels like a hover bike"
"its quiet"
"feels like it has more travel than it does"

Now I need unbox my new frame and get the build started.....:)

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,516 Posts
View attachment 1277103

Received this today. 1st ride review:

"Climbs like a goat"
"Climbs better than me"
"Corners on rails"
"Accelerates like a scalded monkey"
"Velco-like traction on technical climbs"
"poppy"
"likes to get rowdy"
"incredible mid-stroke support"
"feels like a hover bike"
"its quiet"
"feels like it has more travel than it does"

Now I need unbox my new frame and get the build started.....:)
You forgot "pedals for you".

Haha good stuff...Anyone ever see an Arktos running RockShox?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Dammit, missed one. If I had a better memory I could leverage the best terms from Mountain Bike Action from 1994 - Present.

21 - 40 of 361 Posts