Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some idiot dragged numerous trees into the second half of Pinecone today causing a crash hazard. Other areas had lots of sticks/branches in the apex of some of the turns. I moved them but they may return.

And a BIG Thanks to the fella who helped me out with my rear shifter problem today and spoke guard. I was having a miserable ride til you showed up!

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't stand the wrong title anymore. Pinecomb, not Pinecone :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Pinecone Express was the scene of a bad start to my day when my buddy snapped a chain coming up one of the first hills: .
First repair lasted only about ten minutes :madman: so we huffed it out and into town for a new one , delaying the start to what was eventually a great day of riding :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
we were there the night before and everything was in good shape
even that 1st large rock over where someone had been trying to make a straight line through on the left we had covered up over a week ago and was still covered up.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
even that 1st large rock over where someone had been trying to make a straight line through on the left we had covered up over a week ago and was still covered up.
Man, you guys really stuffed a ton of junk in there! It's ugly but it seems to be doing the job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you're talking about that large rock ride-over, I noticed yesterday night that although the left side was blocked, some racers right in front of me went around on the right side now, and the path seemed to be pretty worked in:madman:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another place to watch - not Pinecomb Express, but...

On Sunday, on the higher trail that runs under the trees in front of the chalet a big piece of wire fence was pulled across the trail which I nearly ran into (not visible in the shade - plus I was riding with a friend and talking to her). It would have totally sent me OTB..not to mention all the bonus rusty wire wounds...

I pulled it back into the woods but just in case it gets pulled back out - watch out!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pinecone Express was the scene of a bad start to my day when my buddy snapped a chain coming up one of the first hills: .
First repair lasted only about ten minutes :madman: so we huffed it out and into town for a new one , delaying the start to what was eventually a great day of riding :thumbsup:
Where did you take it??

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you're talking about that large rock ride-over, I noticed yesterday night that although the left side was blocked, some racers right in front of me went around on the right side now, and the path seemed to be pretty worked in:madman:
we'll do some work on the right side next time

·
Registered
277 Posts
If these oh so fast racers spent half the energy & time to actually learn to ride over obsticals rather than make cheater paths then maybe they can have a little pride in their ride !!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If these oh so fast racers spent half the time & energy to actually learn to ride over an obstical rather than mak a cheater path , then just maybe they can take some pride in their ride !!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If these oh so fast racers spent half the time & energy to actually learn to ride over an obstical rather than mak a cheater path , then just maybe they can take some pride in their ride !!!
Nice blanket statement that is. I highly doubt any of the racers are the ones moving this stuff as that is ridiculous. Me being one of them, I will take the shortest path always if it's the more technical choice. And I know many of my racing mates on the forum here are the same. Perhaps you should come out to a race and see what we folk are able to ride. It's likely some beginners that don't like the lack of a bail out option, which in some cases is fair as there is no point in scaring these folks away from the sport.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
He said "oh so fast" racers. Doesn't apply to us. We are not that fast. Must be Kabush or Absalon, when secretly training at our kiddie pool. Damn skinny sausage suits...

But he watched at Kelso.... He knows...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I will take the shortest path always if it's the more technical choice. And I know many of my racing mates on the forum here are the same. .
I've seen you take the longer line in the past just so you could hit the tech feature.
thats what its all about :thumbsup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's likely some beginners that don't like the lack of a bail out option, which in some cases is fair as there is no point in scaring these folks away from the sport.
Speaking as someone in my second season of mountain biking, I wish someone had told me that if a bit of trail seemed difficult or dangerous, I could simply mow vegetation down to ride around it instead of slowing down and/or walking my bike. I assumed, wrongly, that as a newcomer I was the person least qualified to change the trails.

Coming from a climbing background, I had no idea that dumbing trails down for beginners to make the sport popular is part of the mountain biking ethos. In climbing, it's a big no-no to chip holds to make a route easier: beginners start with easier routes and work their way up as they get stronger and better. The idea of "cheater lines" so beginners could climb anything is new to me, and the idea that anyone can simply decide to create one wherever they please... what a revelation!

:-o <= Yes, that is my troll-face emoticon

Back to albion's trails, we rode through the Thunderstorm last night. I noticed lots of tyre tracks going around the various rollers and small table tops, I suspect cheater lines are going to develop there as well if barriers are not put in place.

Le sigh.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice blanket statement that is. I highly doubt any of the racers are the ones moving this stuff as that is ridiculous. Me being one of them, I will take the shortest path always if it's the more technical choice. And I know many of my racing mates on the forum here are the same. Perhaps you should come out to a race and see what we folk are able to ride. It's likely some beginners that don't like the lack of a bail out option, which in some cases is fair as there is no point in scaring these folks away from the sport.
No blanket statement meant as I know.many racers who are tehcnical riders.
But you have to admit ,trails and race courses are getting dumbed down in favour of speed. Being a all round skilled rider should give you an advantage over somebody who is just fast on the fire trails.
As for beginners , they should make their skills match the trail ,
Not the trails match their skills !!
Being challenged is what this sport is all about !!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
But you have to admit ,trails and race courses are getting dumbed down in favour of speed. Being a all round skilled rider should give you an advantage over somebody who is just fast on the fire trails.
Mass-start racing has certain unique problems. One of them is that any section of the course that slows riders down creates a bottleneck, which has very unfortunate consequences for skilled and fast riders caught behind a traffic jam. In Cyclocross, barriers created this problem, such that many races were decided at the first barrier: If you weren’t amongst the leaders, you would be so bogged down by the traffic that you would never catch up. Singletrack of any description also creates a no-passing zone, which allows riders to rest in front and push when they reach doubletrack.

The result can be races that are boring for riders and spectators alike because of the lack of drama. UCI Cyclocross has attempted to remedy this by mandating that the course be three metres wide at all points and getting rid of many artificial barriers. Many riders hate the new fast courses as favoring fitness over skill.

I am not endorsing this, just pointing out that where setting race courses is concerned, race directors may have motivations above and beyond mollycoddling unskilled riders.

(My own ignorant suggestion is to create a few technical races that are run as time trials rather than as mass-start events. In a time trial, you can put a skinny over a sand pit without worrying whether other competitors will get bottlenecked.)

1 - 20 of 142 Posts