Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has been a while since I have been on the bike......and loving it. XC skiing, snowshoeing, trail running......all good cross over activities for me in the winter. Spinning classes is all I am doing now with the biking legs.

Have been heading out to Albion Hills for the past few weeks, using the headlamp and my feet for some good workouts during the week with a buddy.

As of Wednesday night, this is the condition of Albion.

Double Track - Layers of ice and snow about 10cm. Ungroomed and unrolled, and therefore no good for XC skiing or biking. Good for snowshoe running. Very surprised Albion has not started rolling the snow for skiing by this time.

Single Track - Also layers of ice and snow, but more snow about 10cm. Many sections discovered by hikers......damn. See some attempts by bikers to ride through, but can't imagine it being much fun, unless you are a very light rider with big tires. Then you might not break through the icy crust.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
the more hikers on the trails the better... they pack down the snow and make it nice and icey (best for icebiking).

the area south of albion hills (though it is unclear if it will involve albion hills itself) is coming under full diligence and will involve a stake holders trail plan.

public meetings will be held in 2009 (seems 2008 was a write off). though private meetings have been held with some of the stake holders (so much for transparency)...

some issue that might come up (you just never know)

-trail construction/closures
-night time riding ban
-complience to caledon bylaws on trca lands
-user conflicts
-enviromental impacts/historical sites

anyway more info here:

http://www.blackcreek.ca/Website/TRCA/ParksAndCulture/Graphics.nsf/Graphics/trca__parks_and_culture__locations__other__pdfs__BoltonRMT_MP07_Web_pdf/$file/BoltonRMT-MP07-Web.pdf

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
singlesprocket said:
the more hikers on the trails the better... they pack down the snow and make it nice and icey (best for icebiking).
icey conditions are best for ice biking.

sprocket, sometimes...
...further more, you and your pro-hiker, political stake holding planatola's...

BAAAAAAHHH!

·
Registered
32 Posts
All our ski trails are groomed, trackset and ready for xc skiing. We opened up on Thursday. Also, just a reminder that the ski trails are closed to mountain biking and hiking.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
nogearshere said:
icey conditions are best for ice biking.

sprocket, sometimes...
...further more, you and your pro-hiker, political stake holding planatola's...

BAAAAAAHHH!
yeah yeah... i would like nothing better then to just build trails and ride...

but mtber's are new kids on the block... and just as they (hikers, etc) shouldn't exclude us, we shouldn't exclude them. think of all the trails we can have if we worked together in a transparent way.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
singlesprocket said:
yeah yeah... i would like nothing better then to just build trails and ride...

but mtber's are new kids on the block... and just as they (hikers, etc) shouldn't exclude us, we shouldn't exclude them. think of all the trails we can have if we worked together in a transparent way.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
singlesprocket said:
wonder how many trails we will lose when they put this in?

http://www.427corridor.com/
you're fighting the wrong fight spock...i already bought a shunt truck and applied for zoning to converted my back yard into rentable container (storage) space...

anyone who drives up hwy 50 KNOWS that's the way it's going to end for bolton!

...ugliest town in ontario contender.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
singlesprocket said:
I can bet you that most of the hikers do not pay or have a year pass.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
i don't know if they have to pay if they are passing through on their trail... since one old road does pass through there you might be within your legal right to hike/ski/bike etc "through" albion hills with out paying... needs more digging into to find out the facts...

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Ricksom said:
I can bet you that most of the hikers do not pay or have a year pass.
unfortunately changes by the TRCA made it impossible in 2008 to purchase a seasons pass for ONLY albion.

seasons passes include ALL trca parks...a substantial increase really for those of us JUST riding albion.
http://www.trca.on.ca/Website/TRCA/...rships?OpenDocument&ppos=7&spos=0&tpos=0&rsn=
a quick review of current rates suggests that they are making the same error for 2009.

count me out again.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
check out:

http://www.trca.on.ca/Website/TRCA/Graphics.nsf/Graphics/Minutes02-08Budget-Audit/$file/BudgetAuditAdvisoryBoard02-08-Oct3_2008.pdf

albion hills operating budget $723 300 a year...

that's around $1981 a day...

I would look at it this way... renaturalize the area... cut your operating costs... put $100,000 into the trails a year. don't charge a dime to use it

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Ricksom said:
Still cheaper than $6 a visit !
right. I think that was the logic behind it. shame on them.

so as a result i ONLY went on tuesdays (covered) and races (covered) and a handful of times during (paid)...'cause you-know-where is so much cheaper...

plus i don't believe in supporting bad business practices.

i have suggested NUMEROUS times here, direct to TRCA, to Chico to anyone who would listen - PUT TOGETHER A BIKE PASS FOR ALBION - it's win/win.

WE get a reasonable rate for the ONLY trails we will use.
THEY sell MORE passes, encourage MORE 'paid' (LEGAL) use of the trails AND they can directly track who uses the trails and supports them.

so. in summary, if they offer it I will pay, if they do not I will ride elsewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Albion Hills is a vital part of the parks and culture division of the TRCA. Our operating budget is based on our previous year’s revenue and projections. If we are provided an operating budget of $100, we are expected to make $100.

Mountain biking is an extremely important piece of the Albion Hills puzzle. We would welcome suggestions and constructive criticism in order to try and meet the needs of all our valued customers.

That being said there are many other pieces which make Albion Hills the unique outdoor facility that it is. We provide seasonal and short stay camping, nature trails, boat rentals, company picnics, weddings, swimming, hiking, xc skiing and more.

In addition to this, Albion Hills has 2 outdoor education centers which provide thousands of kids the opportunity to learn about the environment. For a lot of these kids this is their first contact with nature and concepts of preservation.

The new seasons pass is actually site specific. If you purchased one mid to late 2008 you will see the passes have changed. Most people purchase a season’s pass for a single activity. I just purchased my Blue Mountain 5x7 in September strictly for snowboarding. This allows me to use their facilities 4 months of the year during off hours for $170. A family seasons pass at Albion actually covers 4 adults (previous one covered only 2 adults) for a full 365 days.

Although there are some who do not pay their fees, please understand that we rely on the honesty of the majority. We are always looking into new ways to improve the experience of our customers. For those who visit us throughout the winter, you will notice that we will be starting construction in the next few weeks on our new water play facility that will be located in front of the beach centre overlooking the lake. This will have a splash pad and large outdoor swimming pool. If you are interested in seeing a concept please pm me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The new passes are no longer "Conservation Journeys". If you go to Heart Lake, Albion Hills, Glen Haffy, etc you will get a specific pass to that site (like how it was about 3 years ago)

The information on that page is basically correct (pricing, benifits, etc) the way the passes are now staged is the basic price for a 2008 pass is 65 & 125 respectivly, Albion will allow you to upgrade on the pass for xc skiing, heart lake for the wetlands facility etc etc.

There is a new website coming which will hopefully have a better explenation.

btw anyone who needs a pass for 2009 now is a good time to get it.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Canuck_2005 said:
There is a new website coming which will hopefully have a better explenation.
actually this link is the best piece of info...
MEMBERSHIP FORM
a full pdf with highlight fields and new (old!) membership classifications.

i'll be stuffing the receipt in my stocking...and i might not buy myself dinner first.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Canuck_2005 said:
Albion Hills is a vital part of the parks and culture division of the TRCA. Our operating budget is based on our previous year's revenue and projections. If we are provided an operating budget of $100, we are expected to make $100.

Mountain biking is an extremely important piece of the Albion Hills puzzle. We would welcome suggestions and constructive criticism in order to try and meet the needs of all our valued customers.

That being said there are many other pieces which make Albion Hills the unique outdoor facility that it is. We provide seasonal and short stay camping, nature trails, boat rentals, company picnics, weddings, swimming, hiking, xc skiing and more.

In addition to this, Albion Hills has 2 outdoor education centers which provide thousands of kids the opportunity to learn about the environment. For a lot of these kids this is their first contact with nature and concepts of preservation.

The new seasons pass is actually site specific. If you purchased one mid to late 2008 you will see the passes have changed. Most people purchase a season's pass for a single activity. I just purchased my Blue Mountain 5x7 in September strictly for snowboarding. This allows me to use their facilities 4 months of the year during off hours for $170. A family seasons pass at Albion actually covers 4 adults (previous one covered only 2 adults) for a full 365 days.

Although there are some who do not pay their fees, please understand that we rely on the honesty of the majority. We are always looking into new ways to improve the experience of our customers. For those who visit us throughout the winter, you will notice that we will be starting construction in the next few weeks on our new water play facility that will be located in front of the beach centre overlooking the lake. This will have a splash pad and large outdoor swimming pool. If you are interested in seeing a concept please pm me.
Thanks for the post Canuck, let me ask a question. If "Mountain biking is an extremely important piece of the Albion Hills puzzle" why is there no transparent trail plan for mountain biking involving all riders? As a long term resident of Bolton I used to ride in Albion Hills often, but over the years the trails degraded quite a bit. Also the face of mountain biking has changed. Many people enjoy more skills oriented types of riding (younger and older) and can speak of the success of such places as whistler. All one has to do is look in a bike shop and see the variety of mountain bikes. Trail construction techniques have evolved also over the years, yet Albion Hills still builds most trails with techniques that have proven to be unstainable. As a mountain biking customer I see the product you are selling as shoddy and dated.

Now it does not have to be like this, there are more then enough experenced people and organizations willing to volunteer to build/convert these trails. With a progressive trail plan you can meet the needs of "all" mountain bikers in Ontario.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts