Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, oops and girls
I left Pinedale Wyo. in "89" and came to Alaska to shorter and no colder winters. I organize and compete in a 350/1100 mile race on the Iditarod Trail. www.alaskaultrasport.com Our competitors come from around the world but with 1 exception we never get racers from the Rocky Mountain West. I know some of you ride in winter. If not to race you should come up for some Alaskan Slickrock riding in winter. I'll post a couple of pictures to show you what you are missing.
Bill M

Attachments

·
Look out!
862 Posts
Bill M said:
Hey guys, oops and girls
I left Pinedale Wyo. in "89" and came to Alaska to shorter and no colder winters.(SNIP)

Well, I can only speak for myself. NO FRIGGIN WAY! If man was supposed to ride in the Alaskan Bush in winter we would have fur and four legs. :D While I can appreciate a challenge as much as the next guy, riding in winter sucks a big one. I for one can not wait for spring to get here. Of course there may be somebody out there that likes that kind of riding, and I hope they go for it. I'll hang down here and run on the treadmill and lift weights and spin till the warm weather returns in March. By the way, I spent the winter of '76-'77 in Fairbanks and that was enough to teach me that Alaskan winters can be cruel. Good luck and enjoy your "Alaskan Slickrock".

Mark

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I think maybe it was in one of John McKee's books, but they used to ride bicycles up and down the frozen Yukon river in the winter, and I think they even had races!

Pretty impressive tires, wow.

~f.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi Bill...

Bill M said:
Hey guys, oops and girls
I left Pinedale Wyo. in "89" and came to Alaska to shorter and no colder winters. I organize and compete in a 350/1100 mile race on the Iditarod Trail. www.alaskaultrasport.com Our competitors come from around the world but with 1 exception we never get racers from the Rocky Mountain West. I know some of you ride in winter. If not to race you should come up for some Alaskan Slickrock riding in winter. I'll post a couple of pictures to show you what you are missing.
Bill M
Bill what bike are you riding.....no fatbike front wheel and a wide rear one?
Dave (formerly REI bike shop Dave)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fat bike hybrid

AkDave said:
Bill what bike are you riding.....no fatbike front wheel and a wide rear one?
Dave (formerly REI bike shop Dave)
Hey Dave, I used a Remolino rear and a rhinolite front last year with gazzalottis on my Fat Bike. Worked good but thankfully i never had a flat on the front. Steel tire tools were not an option but a neccesity to get the gazzi on the rhinolite. Good to hear from you
Bill M

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hampsters in wheels

mtnbkrid said:
Bill M said:
Hey guys, oops and girls
I left Pinedale Wyo. in "89" and came to Alaska to shorter and no colder winters.(SNIP)

Well, I can only speak for myself. NO FRIGGIN WAY! If man was supposed to ride in the Alaskan Bush in winter we would have fur and four legs. :D While I can appreciate a challenge as much as the next guy, riding in winter sucks a big one. I for one can not wait for spring to get here. Of course there may be somebody out there that likes that kind of riding, and I hope they go for it. I'll hang down here and run on the treadmill and lift weights and spin till the warm weather returns in March. By the way, I spent the winter of '76-'77 in Fairbanks and that was enough to teach me that Alaskan winters can be cruel. Good luck and enjoy your "Alaskan Slickrock".

Mark
Hampsters run in wheels and I would rather freeze than spin in the house (I have to respect those who can) but each to his own. Actually I feel better and have more fun at +10 to -10 than at 75 degrees
Bill M

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheels on Ice

formica said:
I think maybe it was in one of John McKee's books, but they used to ride bicycles up and down the frozen Yukon river in the winter, and I think they even had races!

Pretty impressive tires, wow.

~f.
Wheels on Ice edited by Terrence Cole is an out of print book about bikers during the gold rush who rode the Yukon from Dawson, Yukon Territory to Nome. These guys were double tough with moss in their boots for insulation and tires tied on to rims with rags. Every time I think things are tough during the race I flash back to 1898, look at the gear i have and realize things aren't so bad. The Fat Bike with 84mm rims and 3.0 tires make riding punchy trails in the snow or sand lots more fun
Bill M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.