Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who are cheering on friends or family members.... You can check out the Alaska Ultra Sport website under Race Results. There is another website called (www.sleepmonsters.com) they have a cool tracking system to see who's where. Peter Basinger of Anchorage is in front breakin trial with those big 3.7
Great job, Guys and Gals
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,919 Posts
Checked the updates this afternoon and was shocked to see that Carl had scratched.

Couldn't fathom what would get him to quit...

Went for a ride, and when I came back I had a surprise email from an old friend that happens to be the caretaker at Puntilla. She informed me that he frostbit one of his big toes and needs to get it taken care of. He'd hoped to fly out today but high winds prevented it. Maybe tomorrow.

Bummer Carl--I know how much goes into getting to where you are. And I know the exquisite pain of scratching from the race (3 times, actually) as the others continue. Good on ya for making the wise decision to get it taken care of. The trail will be there waiting when you're ready.

Drop a line when you get the chance. And do your best to enjoy the flight out. Knowing you, I'd wager a bag of biscuits that you'll never make that flight again...

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
mikesee said:
Checked the updates this afternoon and was shocked to see that Carl had scratched.

Couldn't fathom what would get him to quit...

Went for a ride, and when I came back I had a surprise email from an old friend that happens to be the caretaker at Puntilla. She informed me that he frostbit one of his big toes and needs to get it taken care of. He'd hoped to fly out today but high winds prevented it. Maybe tomorrow.

Bummer Carl--I know how much goes into getting to where you are. And I know the exquisite pain of scratching from the race (3 times, actually) as the others continue. Good on ya for making the wise decision to get it taken care of. The trail will be there waiting when you're ready.

Drop a line when you get the chance. And do your best to enjoy the flight out. Knowing you, I'd wager a bag of biscuits that you'll never make that flight again...

MC
Hi Mike
Im back in wasilla being looked after by Mark Gronewalds sister keri.Life could be worse but im real pissed with myself.I didnt realise i froze my toe till finger lake and then it was too late.The blister was so huge once i had got some heat in it that i could barely get my boot on.Nome was out of the question at this point and Mcgrath now on touring pace didnt appeal.Stupid mistake and once again im reminded the Alaskan winter is bigger then us all.Im back for sure.Just checked the results and its looking interesting at Nikolai.
Thanxs for the kind words and i will sent a pic of my injury,not near meal time though.
Carl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
Go Carl Go

I agree with Mike that it takes a big man to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. The trail will be here next time and so will all your toes!
Sounds like conditions were alot worse than we all thought, and it's making for a mighty interesting race. Go Racers go!

Mike, still no trail for the first 130 miles of our ride. Apparently higher fuel prices offset the lower food prices in McGrath for the few villagers down stream. Maybe next year...
P
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
16,919 Posts
carlhutch said:
Hi Mike Im back in wasilla being looked after by Mark Gronewalds sister keri.Life could be worse but im real pissed with myself.I didnt realise i froze my toe till finger lake and then it was too late.The blister was so huge once i had got some heat in it that i could barely get my boot on.Nome was out of the question at this point and Mcgrath now on touring pace didnt appeal.Stupid mistake and once again im reminded the Alaskan winter is bigger then us all.Im back for sure.Just checked the results and its looking interesting at Nikolai.
Thanxs for the kind words and i will sent a pic of my injury,not near meal time though.
Carl
Carl-

Glad to hear you made it back. While you're stewing in Palmer, trying to make sense of your predicament, give this a read:

http://www.icebike.com/Articles/CompletingCircle.htm

Not exactly where you are, but close enough that it might help.

If not, tell me to go stuff it, or some other British witticism that I (and the rest of us 'Murican dullards) am probably too dim witted to understand.

I have no real idea how bad your injury is, nor how quickly it'll heal up, so please forgive me if the following seems poorly timed:

I'll be passing through Palmer (riding the road towards Glenallen and Tok) mid-morning on Thursday the 9th. If you're up for breakfast, a short ride, a long ride, or nothing at all, lemme know before Monday night. Once I leave here (Tues AM) I won't have phone or email. Hallelujah.

In case you've lost track (and I hope you have), today is Wednesday the 1st--at least for a few more minutes...

patirwin said:
Mike, still no trail for the first 130 miles of our ride. Apparently higher fuel prices offset the lower food prices in McGrath for the few villagers down stream. Maybe next year...
P
Poppa-

130 miles of walking? Pshaw! Taint but a stone's throw for a vet like you. Tell the missus there's pups to be saved just around the next bend and she might go for it...

Jes' kiddin'...

I'm hopin' to leave Kincaid by mid-afternoon on the 8th. Join me to Eagle River? Or further...?

Gotta go box up the bike...

MC
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
I'm baaack...

Back from the trail, made it to Puntilla at a decent pace and headed up toward the pass where I got nailed with 30+ knot headwinds and -10 temps with huge clouds of drifting snow obscuring the pass so holed up in a cabin at Halfway Lake with BillM and Kathi and hunkered for 24 hours until the wind let up. Decided to scratch because I was leery of the avalanche possibilities in the pass after all that wind so turned around and rode back out. Made it out yesterday after staying with a friend who lives 18 miles up the Yentna for a couple days.

Anyway it was fun and the trail was pretty good all the way to Puntilla with very minimal pushing. It was on the chilly side though especially that first night on the Yentna with temps at least at -25 F.Sounds like I'm missing out on a bunch of fun on the North side of the range.

Will be around here for a week or so then planning on heading to McCarthy and across the Nizina to May Creek if anyone is interested in a tour.
 

·
Caveman
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
Carl,
Sorry to hear about your toe, I´m sure if you could have just flow out to get a new one then kept on riding you would have done so! Conditions this year sound full-on to say the least.
Mike, Good luck on your expedition, dont forget to eat the blubber. Intrested to hear how that new bike works out.

I just got back from a trip to the Chilean coast through the desert, you´ll have to wait till the slideshow, it was nuts, a day with over 16,000´of downhill. Waiting for a buss south to Uyuni where I´m hopefully meeting up with an aussie couple to bike the southwest altiplano and salt flats.
See you in a month.
Eric
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Pics from the trail

Hey Adam,

Congrats on making it to McGrath it was fun riding with you out there and looking forward to the tales from the north side of the range. You must have just skated through the pass before the big winds hit our sorry carcasses behind you.. Here's some more pictures, didn't take as many as I should have.
 

Attachments

·
Beware of Doggerel
Joined
·
665 Posts
Good to meet you

Mark:

Good to meet in the flesh and share some trail. Nice to meet charlie dog too. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to bust a move before the storm I think I hit the heart of it. It was absolutely brutal. It took me 20hrs nonstop just to cross the pass. It was a whiteout at some points with cold like I have never felt before. Exposed skin felt like it was being touched by a flame. The foam liner on my goggles froze to my face and my face mask froze to my cheek, leaving some minor frostbite marks. It was a nasty dark pass crossing. There was no trail for until noon (12hrs after I left) when the bison hunters passed me by pass creek. So I spent a good part of the night route finding. Despite all this I had a good time on the pass.

I didn't stop because if that storm got worse the pass would have been pretty wind loaded. It took a lot out of me, so I took a long rest in Rhon. Then basically pushed my bike to McGrath. Looks like everyone who went to McGrath hit some crazy cold temps somewhere. We all had little bits of frostbite marks on our faces, the place looked like some sort of very athletic international leper colony. I managed to snap 165 pics during the trip, haven't gone through them all yet, I'll probably post a few more later.

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Proud

on you Adam. Growing from the Sweet Roll 200 miler into the Invitational 350 Miler ! Congratulations !
Carlos

Adam said:
Mark:

Good to meet in the flesh and share some trail. Nice to meet charlie dog too. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts to bust a move before the storm I think I hit the heart of it. It was absolutely brutal. It took me 20hrs nonstop just to cross the pass. It was a whiteout at some points with cold like I have never felt before. Exposed skin felt like it was being touched by a flame. The foam liner on my goggles froze to my face and my face mask froze to my cheek, leaving some minor frostbite marks. It was a nasty dark pass crossing. There was no trail for until noon (12hrs after I left) when the bison hunters passed me by pass creek. So I spent a good part of the night route finding. Despite all this I had a good time on the pass.

I didn't stop because if that storm got worse the pass would have been pretty wind loaded. It took a lot out of me, so I took a long rest in Rhon. Then basically pushed my bike to McGrath. Looks like everyone who went to McGrath hit some crazy cold temps somewhere. We all had little bits of frostbite marks on our faces, the place looked like some sort of very athletic international leper colony. I managed to snap 165 pics during the trip, haven't gone through them all yet, I'll probably post a few more later.

Adam
 

·
FatBike Fiend
Joined
·
974 Posts
Pic from the start

Here's one more picture from the start when it was dumping snow and one of Pierre Oster with whom I rode for a couple days. Sounds like almost everyone is having second thoughts about pushing (and I do mean pushing) on to Nome. BillM was quoted as saying he had to push 150 miles to get to McGrath. Sounds like Bill and Kathi are flying back from McGrath soon (after the obligatory beer at McGuire's I'm sure).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Pat
Ive just woke up to the fact Mike is passing through here.Are you planning to ride with him,any idea what time thursday he might be hitting Palmer and on what road?


I finally managed to find "Bikes on ice". Its made this short expensive trip almost worthwhile.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top