Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alan built this up for me a few weeks back, rides as purty as it looks.

Vintage bits are 1939 Schwinn DX frame and Excelsior X badge, Bendix lever action 2-speed coaster, Araya 7X hoops, Suntour mid flange alloy hub, Sugino cranks with TA 42T track ring, B72 saddle (stamped 1975), Ashtabula "Mongoose" stem, Mafac cantis (scored these like 6 months ago along with a lot of NOS Bendix parts - that's what started the project), Diacompe red dot lever and cable hanger, Campi QR binder. Custom paint by Alan Bonds of 70s Repack fame (www.clunkers.net).

Pedals are VP, grips are AME, bar is Renthal motocross, tires are Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E (PLUSH!!!). Most from Alan's stash but I can take credit for the brakes, seatpost, bars/grips/pedals/tires, YST bottom bracket, some NOS bits to complete the Bendix and the idea for the color (we were riding China Camp and I had ridden Tam the day before with a pal on his orange Blur, so I said "How about Orange" to which Alan said "I always wanted to do an orange bike!" ...case closed).

Oh yeah, like the fork? Vintage Cook Bros tube fork with canti posts I found on the ebay recently. Originally going with an early 90s Breezer fork so this worked out much better.

Bike weight? 33 pounds as ridden. Not bad for an old clunker.

·
clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fat-tony said:
It is a great looking ride, but silly question; why do these style bikes and some folks with their mountain bikes have the saddle positioned sloping back? Personal preference, bent seat post?
That's an Alan preference...it's parallel to the ground now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My current project

Nice. Here is my current project. I decided to go with derailleurs and the whole bit although I am cheating a little, I took the stuff of an early 80s mtb. I think I will replace the V brake with some old cantis.

Attachments

·
clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howley said:
Alan was gracious to show us his work.
Quite the horde Alan has going :D - I love the Even Patina (pre war cantilever) bike if only cause it has bits traded from my stash (long horns, Lodbells, jewelled bottle grips, truss rods, some bendix parts, miller kick stand) for some of the nice bits that went on Orange.

ScottyMTB said:
Here is my current project.
Nice lil B10 Scotty! I dig motor bike frames, bombed a 37 Iver during my teen years that was similar.

I love this forum :thumbsup:

·
Registered
936 Posts
ericb49 said:
Quite the horde Alan has going :D - I love the Even Patina (pre war cantilever) bike if only cause it has bits traded from my stash (long horns, Lodbells, jewelled bottle grips, truss rods, some bendix parts, miller kick stand) for some of the nice bits that went on Orange.

Nice lil B10 Scotty! I dig motor bike frames, bombed a 37 Iver during my teen years that was similar.

I love this forum :thumbsup:
Me too! Nice one..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.