Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the recent rains I am thinking Alafia is probably a mess right now. Even though it is closer to me, I might make the extra drive to Santos.

Thoughts? Comments? Trail conditions?

·
Engineer The Future Now!
121 Posts
prolly

I'd like to hit both this weekend but I'd rather hit the Vortex @ Santos so any locals that know if the jumps are a mess or if the drops are into swimming pools please post up. The new stuff @ Alafia should be well ridden and packed in so I'm curious to see how it turned out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I rode Santos late this afternoon, but didn't hit Vortex or any of the other technical trails. I rode what I call the "Spider Kingdom loop." I'd say the trails are a little slow and soft in the areas that got sandy when we weren't getting rain for so long. But there aren't muddy or really sloppy areas out there. My tires just had white sand on them when I was done.

My guess is John Brown is slick, because it seems to stay that way when we get lots of rain. But Vortex would probably be in good shape.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A buddy of mine and I went to Alafia thursday (an hour or so after it rained mind you) and it was very wet. We only ride the greens and blues though. River loop was covered with water some of which was 4-5 inches deep. North Creek was ok - but I had a terrible time 'gripping' anything. Wet roots, wet rocks, slick hills and newbie skills dont mix well. :p

Rock Garden was wet too but not to bad. Bridges was ok as well. (our first time on both of these).

My buddy and I looked at Rabbit Ears and right after the first big descent the mud was pretty bad. He buried his tire about 5 inches into it. Stopped him cold.

We still had a blast though. I kinda think of it as another techinical thing to try and over come. I just started riding about a month or so ago - so I am just happy to be out there. Just expect all trails in florida to be wet and sloppy for a little while. . If ya go and they have dried up - well thats just the cherry on top. :D

-Keith aka "treesmacker"

·
Zero Miles from Myself
804 Posts
No Opinion, Just a Trail Update

I rode Santos Yesterday AM early (Friday) and road Cowbone out to the junction of Dr Ruth, RS ridge and John Brown to ride the rock drops. IMO the rains have helped out at Santos. It has packed the sandy parts from what it was a few weeks ago. The rain has caused some rutting and has uncovered the roots and rocks a little more than usual, but it has made the blue trials (like cowboane) a little more fun and technical.

After a few rock drops and one guy in the group doing an endo on a drop (funny stuff :D ) we went on to the Vortex. Unfortunately I did not ride the jumps, but the tops fo the jumps looked good and I do not recall any pools in between. The back of the jumps behind the wall was real wet and muddy. The triple wood jump landing zone is rutted up pretty badly and looks like it would adversly effect landings ... so we passed on that too.

We then took off and rode the Vortex trails on the west and south side of the vortex. They were not very muddy at all and in really good shape and road fast. The rocks were slick and wet as were the wood bridges and drop helps. So take caution there.

Biggest issue out there the past few weeks has been the biting flies, they follow you around and like the shade as much as you do. So take some DEET or deep woods OFF type product if you go to Santos.

Have Fun :D

·
I win.
713 Posts
I was at alafia last weekend after all that torrential rain. Man it was a mess. We had to hike a bike up all the hills on roller coaster and moonscape because all the clay was so slick. We came out of those trails with about 2 lbs of clay on each tire. The stuff is a mess to get off.
Hopefully it has dried off a little since then. I'm not a local so I don't know how much rain it has gotten over the week.
On the bright side gator back is open but we didn't try it considering how wet it was. We would have never made it up any of the climbs!!!

·
Engineer The Future Now!
121 Posts
Just got back from Santos. The vortex is decent but wet and slow rolling the jumps are soggy but the sun should dry them up this afternoon and the tranny for the triple drops is so washed out I passed on them. Hope this helps.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
I was there too, but during mid day to early afternoon.

The Vortex was a little soggy, lots of sand on the bottom of the jumps, the triple drop was washed out that there wouldn't be a way of doing a safe landing. The bunny hop and some of the other easier - medium trails were really nice this time around.

I'm thinking of hitting Santos again next weekend as the guys I was there with were first time riders and they crapped out after around 6 miles of the easy stuff, even with their $3k+ FS bikes we rented from the Santos Bike Shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alafia can be a huge mess after these summe rains start.

My "indacator" if Alafia is going to be a mess that day is if the small entrace on the right side of the gate is under water or not. If the entrace to the rock quary is a pool its not going to be a good day out there. .....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, hate to bump up a old thread, but some times its better then starting a new one. Me and a buddy are planning on hitting Santos 7/26 early. Plan on leaving East Orlando around 5AM. Has any rode there today or have a update on trail conditions? Also It will both of our first time up there, Trail recommendations for a mediocre rider? Anyone feel like show some noobs around?

Thanks for the input.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
Santos is really great at running of water. I never rode in Mud or un-rideable conditions (other than the Vortex which can get very soggy).

Santos is probably the best place in the state, maybe even the southeast.

On the other hand, I would love to come out there, BUT, i've already been there last weekend and can't justify running 160 miles to go bike every weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.