Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
tootsjofus said:
Anyone ride the new trail yet. It is supposed to be opening soon if its not already. Where is it from the trail head?
It is opening this weekend on Sunday. Some of us tried to "pre-ride" it on Monday, but we got shut down on the way in, as they were finishing the entrance. We figured we would help out by riding it in a bit, but no go :)

When you leave the parking lot, head to the right as if you are going to Bridges. Just to the right across from the corner of that wooden fence by the pavilion, there is a hiking trail. The new trail entrance will be right there.

Sunday they are going to have an official grand opening with prizes and a cookout and bike shop demos, etc. Starts around 8:30 I think.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Nice!

Is Gatorback open yet?:confused: Or have they been to busy completing the new trail? I will have to show up this weekend to check it all out. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Cool!

eclark7 said:
Gatorback has been open everytime I have been there for at least the last 3 weeks. And rockin too!! See everyone at the new tral party on sunday, if I don't have to work.
See ya there, I ride a black Transtion Dirtbag. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
North Creek is the name of the new Alafia trail. Its opening this sunday. It reminds me of the new red trail up at Santos. The section that is opening on Sunday is phase 1 of a 3 phase project SWAMP plans to put together for this trail. The first part is a ton of fun though, cant wait to ride it on SUNDAY!

·
Where is my mind?
1,130 Posts
So it's not an intermediate trail?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Muddy tomorrow ( Sunday ).

I rode Alafia this afternoon and a lot of the trails were closed on account of rain they had yesterday. According to the ranger, they got about 2". Moonscape is closed, the the double diamond section in Rollercoaster is closed, the first steep section in Bridges is closed. Most trails are pretty wet and muddy, some sections under water. As I write this, it is raining outside and I live 8 miles from Alafia. Tomorrow is not going to be such a nice day, depending on what you call fun......It will be wet and slippery with probably even more sections closed.

YaMon.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
YaMon said:
Moonscape is closed, the the double diamond section in Rollercoaster is closed, the first steep section in Bridges is closed. Most trails are pretty wet and muddy, some sections under water. As I write this, it is raining outside and I live 8 miles from Alafia. Tomorrow is not going to be such a nice day, depending on what you call fun......It will be wet and slippery with probably even more sections closed.
I was just looking at a weather satellite loop of central Florida feeling very concerned. Certain sections out there is very slick when wet.:sad: :sad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
YaMon said:
I rode Alafia this afternoon and a lot of the trails were closed on account of rain they had yesterday. According to the ranger, they got about 2". Moonscape is closed, the the double diamond section in Rollercoaster is closed, the first steep section in Bridges is closed. Most trails are pretty wet and muddy, some sections under water. As I write this, it is raining outside and I live 8 miles from Alafia. Tomorrow is not going to be such a nice day, depending on what you call fun......It will be wet and slippery with probably even more sections closed.

YaMon.
I'm talking to one of my freinds who rode alafia earlier today and he said the same thing, much of it is closed! What about North Creek?! is that gonna be closed too?? i hope it doesnt get destroyed on the first day its open simply because they leave it open when they shouldnt just to keep the grand opening date.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, it is Sunday and it is sunny out. I have to work so could someone let me know how the stuff at Alafia went. Did those heavy rains tear stuff up? I was planning on heading out there on Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you ride today.....

I would wait till the afternoon after the trails dry out a bit. Surprisingly there are a few sections where they do not drain that quickly. Not sure if Moonscape is still closd today. If you do go out, post when you get back. I may go out late tomorrow.

YaMon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The North Trail is sweet!

Art North and his SWAMP crew have done a great job on the new trail.

Yes, it was a little wet in a few places, but today was my first ever ride on a fully rigid SS and I loved it even on that. ( my usual ride is a 6" travel trail bike)

As soon as it dries out it going to be pretty quick and even more fun.
My guess is that most people will say it's the most fun trail at Alafia.

Rockgarden and River Loop were very wet today, plenty of standing water, I'd avoid
those trails for a few days.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Good Sunday

Decided to go to santos with a few buds since the fear of too much rain yesterday would spoil today' riding at alafia.:skep: The trails in santos were great, lil soft with good grip in the turns, sand was at bay for sure. Hot tough:madmax: Had a blast. Here are few pis from today at santos. Just curious, from those who ventured to alafia today. what was the turn out like?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.