Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will be at Fort McClellan next week with some time on my hands. I will be in class for a couple of days but I should end up with a few days to ride. Is AL ridable this time of year and are there any trails worth hitting close to McClellan? Oh, McClellan is between Atlanta and Birmingham just off Route 20 by Talladega National Forest. Be nice to get in some riding, all I have been doing all winter is running.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Oak Mountain State Park --close to Birmingham-- make sure you get thee--great riding.

PoorBehavior said:
Looks like I will be at Fort McClellan next week with some time on my hands. I will be in class for a couple of days but I should end up with a few days to ride. Is AL ridable this time of year and are there any trails worth hitting close to McClellan? Oh, McClellan is between Atlanta and Birmingham just off Route 20 by Talladega National Forest. Be nice to get in some riding, all I have been doing all winter is running.

·
The Voice of Reason
523 Posts
i'm about 4 hours south of b'ham and it's been cold and miserable although it has warmed up a bit. definitely hit oak mtn. there used to be a trail in anniston and one at cheaha but i haven't been to either one of them in years. was it neamba that kept up with these trails? anyway the weather can be very nice or it can suck. dress accordingly.

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
Good timing on your part Poor Behavior. The good news is that here in Alabama we get to ride all year!

The last two weeks have been pretty cold with the highs only reaching the low 30's. Next week however, we are going to be in the 50's for highs. Probably be close to freezing at night and early morning. Rain is projected for this Saturday and ending on Sunday, so the riding should be good for the rest of the week following.

The closest trail to McClellan would be Iron Legs. It is right there at the base. There is also a trail at Cheaha state park. I've not ridden those myself so maybe someone else will chime in with info.

Don't miss Oak Mountain in B'Ham. It has 18 miles of trail and is well maintained by BUMP. The park is only open until sundown except on Wednesdays they are staying open until 9:00 PM for nightriding led by Cahaba Cycles and BUMP. Be there by about 5:30 if you want to join in the group ride.

There is also 5 miles of trail at the Trussville Sports Complex. It's a fun ride and you can ride it any night up until 11:00 PM when the park closes. It's probably about 20 miles closer to you than Oak Mountain.

Down in Sylacauga there is 15 miles of trail called Sylaward around Lake Howard and in Tuscaloosa (maybe too far) there is Lake Lurleen with 15 miles of trail.

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kmacon said:
Good timing on your part Poor Behavior. The good news is that here in Alabama we get to ride all year!

The last two weeks have been pretty cold with the highs only reaching the low 30's. Next week however, we are going to be in the 50's for highs. Probably be close to freezing at night and early morning. Rain is projected for this Saturday and ending on Sunday, so the riding should be good for the rest of the week following.

The closest trail to McClellan would be Iron Legs. It is right there at the base. There is also a trail at Cheaha state park. I've not ridden those myself so maybe someone else will chime in with info.

Don't miss Oak Mountain in B'Ham. It has 18 miles of trail and is well maintained by BUMP. The park is only open until sundown except on Wednesdays they are staying open until 9:00 PM for nightriding led by Cahaba Cycles and BUMP. Be there by about 5:30 if you want to join in the group ride.

There is also 5 miles of trail at the Trussville Sports Complex. It's a fun ride and you can ride it any night up until 11:00 PM when the park closes. It's probably about 20 miles closer to you than Oak Mountain.

Down in Sylacauga there is 15 miles of trail called Sylaward around Lake Howard and in Tuscaloosa (maybe too far) there is Lake Lurleen with 15 miles of trail.
Brother, you just made my day. Thanks for all the info. I have no idea what my schedule looks like but I will bring my lights just in case. Besides, I can always just take a "ME" day and go home a day late.
Again, Much appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
http://www.bump.org/
The site should have trail info and directions.

is birminghams mountain bike club.

Iron legs, Kentuck ORV motorcycle trail but really fun on a bike (not after a rain-red clay and sticky), Lake Lureen, Oak Mountain, Cheaha.

http://www.atvaonline.com/ride/kentuck.asp

I am in Birmingham, grew up in Anniston (parents still live there), shoot me a pm.

It has been pretty darn cold here but our Jan average is 55 and should warm up soon.

oh yeah, if you have lights bring them. A have a couple of buddies that lead weekly night rides (at least they did last year, I will check)

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
swisscross said:
http://www.bump.org/
The site should have trail info and directions.

is birminghams mountain bike club.

Iron legs, Kentuck ORV motorcycle trail but really fun on a bike (not after a rain-red clay and sticky), Lake Lureen, Oak Mountain, Cheaha.

http://www.atvaonline.com/ride/kentuck.asp

I am in Birmingham, grew up in Anniston (parents still live there), shoot me a pm.

It has been pretty darn cold here but our Jan average is 55 and should warm up soon.

oh yeah, if you have lights bring them. A have a couple of buddies that lead weekly night rides (at least they did last year, I will check)
Wow, Awesome! I love MTBR.
Oh, after the weather we have had in Columbus, OH, 30 degrees is warm and 55 is a freaking heat wave.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
Wow, Awesome! I love MTBR.
Oh, after the weather we have had in Columbus, OH, 30 degrees is warm and 55 is a freaking heat wave.
I hear ya bout 55 being awsome but the past week has been pretty darn cold.
Lows around 12 and highs in the upper 20's.

Hopefully it will warm up a little before you get down here.

BTW I checked BUMP's calendar and there is a night ride on Wednesday nights at Oak Mountain. I have never ridden at night there but it should be intresting.

You are looking at about 1:20 minute drive from the Fort.

·
All-most Mountain
533 Posts
Oak Mountain is fun but "Blood Rock" is a joke.....sure its technical.....for like 30 yards. Monte Sano is technical for.......30 miles

But OM drains much better and given your proximity, its a must-do.

Myself and an amigo rode OM a few weeks ago the morning after a light snow. Everything was perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Camshaft213 said:
Oak Mountain is fun but "Blood Rock" is a joke.....sure its technical.....for like 30 yards. Monte Sano is technical for.......30 miles

But OM drains much better and given your proximity, its a must-do.

Myself and an amigo rode OM a few weeks ago the morning after a light snow. Everything was perfect.
I agree about Monte Sano but it is not remotely close to Anniston. 2 hour drive up 431?

·
Registered
200 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
There should be a decent trail on Mt. Cheaha. Highest point in the state, all 2,504' of it.

Booyah!

Anyhow, that's closer to you than B'ham.

It'll be cold & wet - relatively speaking.

If the trail's anything like I remember, there'll be lots of slimey limestone.

Good luck.

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have to thanks all of you guys again. I just attempted to ride Iron Legs, found the parking "area" but could not find the trail head, not sure if all the logging obscured it or not. So I went over to the parking area for Gene's loop, which had high marks for fun and found it logged. Ran into this guy at the trail head who gave me the entire lowdown on the area, apologized for the logging, and then gave me a couple of maps for the local trails that survived.

I had no way to properly thank him since he was needing to leave but the hospitality was fantastic.

I hit Marks loop, the small portion, for a couple of laps which was fun and fast. Learned about Alabama rocks, they are everywhere, and bit it in a corner as I missed seeing the leaf covered booby trap. Good fun.

Great friendly people, really sad to see the deforestation of the area though.

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
Jeez PB, that really sucks. All the way from Ohio and to have the first trail you try to ride ruined by logging. Well at least it can't hardly get worse than that..... oh wait, now its raining! :madman:

Seriously though, keep your chin - up and have a great time!

Keep us posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.