Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be In Anniston, Ft McClellan actually, next week and was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the riding conditions in the area. I was hoping to sample to the local trails if the conditions were favorable. I did get a tip about Oak Mountain State Park being worth the visit.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Sylaward Trail at Lake Howard in Sylacauga is another option. Rode there a few weeks ago and ran into some mud at the beginning and along the service road but over all it was mostly dry. This trail is not technical by any means but it is a nice, mostly machine cut contour line trail. It is an out and back with loops along the way totaling about 14 miles if you ride all of it once. The trails are not directional that I am aware of so once out in the loops you can mix it up and do some backtracking for more miles. It is about one hour to one and a half hour drive from Ft McClellan.

http://lakehowardtrail.blogspot.com/ Scroll down the page and on the left side there is a place to enter your address for driving directions.

Personally though, if you can only get to one I would suggest Oak Mountain hands down although I am unsure of the conditions there. It offers a much better single track experience with some more slightly technical features. Well I guess 'blood rock' is pretty technical.

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up KPVSR, I'll add your advice to the info kmacon gave me over in Passion. Seems everyone has a very high opinion of Oak Mountain so I will find a way to make that happen if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
762 Posts
One more saying definitely check out Oak Mountain if you can. Its a great, well maintained trail. Good 17 mile loop. The trail drains pretty quickly too.

·
Speedbump
310 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
I will be In Anniston, Ft McClellan actually, next week and was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the riding conditions in the area. I was hoping to sample to the local trails if the conditions were favorable. I did get a tip about Oak Mountain State Park being worth the visit.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Oak Mountain drains well, and is in very good shape right now. Expecting some rain this weekend, but should still be fine. I plan to ride there Monday.

Sylward is a good choice as well. Fast and flowing, very well groomed, but not technical. Very pretty in places, especially on the back side where you get some views of the lake.

The trail system at Trussville has been expanded. More similar to Oak Mountain, but shorter. I will hit those this weekend if the rain holds off. Doesn't drain as well as Oak Mountain.

Enjoy,

·
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You Bama folks are awesome. Yesterday I was wondering if there was a chance to get in a ride, today I am trying to create a depth chart for all the options I have.
It seems my reason for going has turned from: go to Fort McClellan for a class, To: go to AL to ride and while there knock out a class at McClellan.
Best thing is, I will double dip and get per diem the entire time I am down there.

I figure I will hit Iron Legs if I can only get away for half the day since it is right there. Make my day trip to Oak Mt.for sure since everyone agrees that is a must ride.
If I was to have two more half days, starting in Anniston, where should I go? It looks like the better rated trails are a good ways off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would hit Kentuck ORV trail. It is at the base of Cheaha. The other side of Anniston from the Fort. Not really a drive.
Not techinical at all, dual track but fast, burmed with some smallish jumps. It is a fun trail.

But not after a rain.

·
I'd rather be riding!
258 Posts
Hey PB, Here's ya another one. Look up some stuff on Raccoon Mountain in Chatanooga. It would be an easy one to hit on your way down or back up as you leave. Or just take one of your extra days and spend it up there.

Here is a video of Raccoon Mountain.

Have a great time!

Kev

·
Speedbump
310 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
You Bama folks are awesome. Yesterday I was wondering if there was a chance to get in a ride, today I am trying to create a depth chart for all the options I have.
It seems my reason for going has turned from: go to Fort McClellan for a class, To: go to AL to ride and while there knock out a class at McClellan.
Best thing is, I will double dip and get per diem the entire time I am down there.

I figure I will hit Iron Legs if I can only get away for half the day since it is right there. Make my day trip to Oak Mt.for sure since everyone agrees that is a must ride.
If I was to have two more half days, starting in Anniston, where should I go? It looks like the better rated trails are a good ways off.
Cheaha is going to be the closest to you. I have not ridden there yet but have been to the park several times. Bike trails look good - the hiking trails are awesome as are the views - it's the highest point in Alabama.

Sylaward and Trussville are about the same distance from where you will be. Very different trails. Sylaward may be a little further drive but will be the most different from Oak Mt and Cheaha. It's fast and flowing, but not technical.

Trussville might be a faster/easier drive from Anniston, but a little more similar to the other two trails.

Hurricane Park and Monte Sano are way worth the drive, but may be a little too far for a half day trip.

So behind Oak Mountain, for half day trips I think Cheaha is a good bet (and close). After that, if you are looking for a little different type of trail, I'd say Sylaward. If that's a little too long a drive, then maybe Trussville.

All are a good time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
PB,

Since you are in Anniston, don't pass up Cheaha Mountain Express. It is all singletrack; tight, rocky rooty and somewhat technical. Throw in soe short cimbs and descents with some nice switchbacks. The 96 Olympic team trained there. The total distance is about 8 miles, but you'll know it. Park at the little general store and hit the trail from their parking lot. Grab a free map at the store. I like to ride it counter -clockwise, with a small figure 8 loop at the top before you start heading back down toward the parking lot. The trail has great drainage, so you shouldn't see much mud. There will likely be some leaf clutter as the trail doesn't get a lot of traffic. The scenery should be good too as Cheaha is the highest peak in Alabama.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.