Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a hypothetical question because I don't a $1000 laying around, but if I did-

Would it make a bigger difference to upgrade my '08 Rush 4 aluminum with an ebay carbon frame or a carbon fox lefty? Or would it be a complete waste of money since the bike was only $2300 to start with?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
kuiwing said:
You have a lefty already. If I were you I will get better wheels (SLR/XTR) and tyres (tubeless XC) first, then brakes. .......................then the latest SL with OPI spindle
If your gonna upgrade wheels, dont go XTR. They are great wheels and all, but they are kinda on the heavy side, and you have to use the super heavy Saint Rotor to fit the lefty's axle. I would say have a pair of wheels custom built, they are much cheaper than XMax's or the heavy XTR. Custom built wheels will be better because they will be cheaper and, if built by a good wheel builder, can be much stronger. For custom builts, I would highly reccomend Stans Notubes, any of their rims are top notch. I have a set of ZTR Olympics on my bike that I love, they are pretty light at 1390g for the set, and I am yet to get a flat in almost a year of tubeless, just running stans yellow tape and sealent.

http://www.notubes.com/

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was in the same situation and now the only thing stock left from my 07' AL Rush on my current carbon Rush is the chain.

IMO, if you want to have a lighter ride, wheelset will definitely be the first place to start upgrading. A carbon frame won't help you that much in this regard, but it DEFINITELY provides a better, more sure-footed ride because of the extra stiffness and the ability to absorb small bumps offered by the front triangle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.