Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MNTNBKR
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a set of Avid Juicy 3's after hearing a few good things from some of my biking buddies. Since purchasing them I came here to MTBR to see what the reviews are like and everyone seems to hate them. Are the Juicy 3's really bad brakes? I am upgrading from Hayes MX-2 mechanical disk brakes that I am SICK OF ADJUSTING every ride.

Most of the reviews say that the brakes need to be bled after every ride, why would they need to be bled so often? I use DOT4 fluid in my car with brembo brakes and the only reason I've found to bleed the brakes is dirty fluid and if the fluid heats past its boiling point, does that happen with tiny little mountain bike calipers like this?!??!

Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. I already bought the brakes so "DONT BUY THEM" isn't going to be very helpful, they should be here by the end of the week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure why everyone would hate them. I have been an avid fan for a while, having used most of the brakes in their lineup at some point. I have also used magura, hayes, and formula brakes on my bikes. The juicy 3 will be fine as long as you know what you are getting. They are a bit heavier than the fives due to the different caliper. They also require an allen wrench to adjust the lever position. Once that is dialed, however, you should not have any problems. If you are using them for downhill where the fluid will get hot you may have to bleed them, but this is true of all entry level hydros. I have a set on my sidekick and they have never been bled, never leaked, and continue to work like the day I put them on. As long as your application is correct they will be fine. If you are into shuttle runs then you did purchase the wrong setup. Go with the codes after you trash the juicys. No matter what you are doing you will notice an improvement over the mechanical discs.

·
MNTNBKR
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean shuttle runs, like shuttle to the top downhill?
I live in Durango, CO and Horse Gulch trail is right behind my house, i go on a few short rides every weekend. Nothing tooo intense, i ride a hardtail. weight doesn't mean anything to me on my bike.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
switch to DOT 5.1 right away (if i'm not mistaken... the 3's come with DOT 4)... you'll get the benefit of higher boiling point (ie. less risk of fade and/or lever to the bar from fluid boil)

cheers

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
as long as it's DOT 5.1 you should be OK... don't ever use DOT 5 though (it's a silicone based fluid - not compatible with any of the others... 3/4/5.1)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't sweat your decision. They are nice brakes. I ran my Juicy 3's for a couple thousand miles with no issues, or bleeding. They make some strange noises sometimes, but that was really the only issue I ever encountered.

·
MNTNBKR
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, I'm glad I got some feedback from people who actually used them and know what they are doing. I have a feeling all the bad reviews are people who bled them wrong and didn't get the air out or just don't understand how they work.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Your fine with the J3's. :thumbsup:

Allot of people will knock the lower level models without taking into consideration the type of riding or budget of others. If your havin fun & they are working for you they are perfect. Ride on. :rockon:

·
MNTNBKR
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my set of Juicy 3's showed up on Saturday. I, of course, immediately installed them and went for a ride. Rode them all weekend and I am very happy with this choice, I don't understand why all of these people are writing bad reviews... oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.