Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wood chips are stupid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to ride from car rental world at Sky Harbor to Chandler(Cooper&Chandler Blvd)without getting run over? Will be visiting with Mt bike.
Thanks.

akdeluxe

Attachments

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
akdeluxe said:
Is there a way to ride from car rental world at Sky Harbor to Chandler(Cooper&Chandler Blvd)without getting run over? Will be visiting with Mt bike.
Thanks.

akdeluxe
Nope, bikes are forbidden on Phoenix-area roads.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
http://www.bikely.com/ <---- this site and Google Maps are your friend.
Also, use the canals as much as possible, you shouldn't have a problem finding a route.
I had a route mapped from my house on the West side of Phx to Cooper & Chandler at one point, but I lost it.
Anyways, I just pull up the maps and start looking for side streets, canals and parks that I can use to link together to get to my destination.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are 1000 different ways to do this: I have a similar commute to this , so here's how I would go: If you can find the road just North of the airport called Air Lane (parallel to the airport), take that road East, when it ends (at like 38th street), turn left, then right on Washington. Take this to Mill, turn South and go through downtown Tempe. At University and Mill, turn L and then ride south/east through ASU. Take College as far South is it will take you (over the pedestrian bridge) to Watson, Turn left, then after a mile, turn Right on Lakeshore. Take Lakeshore to Elliott. Turn East on Elliott (ride on sidewalk) to Price Frontage Road, take that south to Chandler BLVD, then go East to Cooper.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
you're serious? they're forbidden?? wtf kinda **** is that? Do they want to keep the streets clear for the high speed police chases?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Air lane is a good way to go....you might have good luck getting out of the airport through the west exit as Air lane ends at 40th street and you'll be on full blown freeway if you try to exit to 44th. follow the signs towards 24th street but just before you get to 24th you can follow the road marked busses only...it's kind of a short cut that will take you around and spit you out just north of the east US Airways employee lot right next to air lane. make your way north to Jefferson (like a block over) catch the light rail with your bike to Mill and then head south east to chandler from there

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
cstem said:
Go here http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/detail.cms?item=4643 to see the map of all the bike lanes and bike friendly streets in the metro area too.
The airport will be the most dangerous part. You want to exit to 44th St this way you can head East on Washington Ave and use the above map to navigate the rest of the way. This is not the fastest route but one that is safer and skenik. Head East on Washington, South on Mill Ave, East on Rio Salado Pkwy which turn into 8th St head North for a short bit to the canal head East on the canal which will run you str8 to yer desired intersection. The bit from the airport to the canal is part of my work commute and I haven't gotten run over yet.:thumbsup: P.S. You can catch a bus from the terminals to the 44th parking lot/transit center and I believe the busses have bike racks on the front.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get up to Washington and start from there. Washington will take you into Tempe and from there, getting to Chandler is fairly easy.

·
Meatbomb
7,836 Posts
I believe the 'car rental world' is no longer on the airport property but down on 16th street south of Buckeye now.

so north on 16th, right on Buckeye , left on 24th and right on Air Lane just before the rail road tracks.

I like the idea of catching the Light Rail since Washington would scare me on a bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has yet suggested that you head through South Mountain, one way or another, if you have the time and inclination (& lack of heay bags) to ride some dirt on the way.....

You could ride south on 16th Street from the car rental center to Dobbins, then either:

east to 24th St area and up (hike-a-bike) Mormon Trail (24th St) to National Trail, then east on that or Mormon Loop......or

west to Central Ave, ride the road to Telegraph Pass (saddle with bench), take that south (down) to Desert Classic, then head east, or Chandler Blvd if you prefer the road. Or ride the road all the way up to the end (Buena Vista) and take National Trail east.....

Either Desert Classic, National, or Mormon Loop will take you out to the Pima Canyon Trailhead - then you can ride out to Guadalupe, head east for a few miles, then south on the Western Canal. It will turn east and take you out to Cooper. South on Cooper to your destination.......

I know the area well enough to come up with this possibility, but perhaps someone more familiar with that canal can chime in to verify that this would work.......

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
longhairmike said:
you're serious? they're forbidden?? wtf kinda **** is that? Do they want to keep the streets clear for the high speed police chases?
Bikes are banned for your safety!! I think it mainly has to do with it being Snowbird season right now and then Hot season right after.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good Call AZ_Cholla! That would add serious time to the commute, but you get two birds with one stone: A good commute, and a taste for some of the the roughest and toughest terrain around, aka "National Trail" (where tire companies regression test their knobbies).

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I forgot about the car rental center being off site Dir Dir. SO he is correct- you would be starting on 16th St which would be a little less daunting and dangerous. I just snickered a little thinking that I rented about 24 cars last year alone and have never been to the car rental place in my own home town! They do have buses from there, but you should be able to get through with a little savvy on two wheels alone.

This summer I rode from the Portland, ME airport to a rest area off the highway to meet our tour bus. I took my Rig SS and must have looked kinda funny trailering my wheeled gear bag, shouldering my laptop bag and backing a sleeping bag wearing nice clothes on a nice bike (so I didn't look totally homeless!). Got some good honks and only crashed the gear bag twice with no damage (thanks OGIO!).

Traveling from the airport by bike was a unique experience I am glad I did/survived!

·
Wood chips are stupid
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you

:thumbsup: Hey,thanks for all the info people. Very useful stuff. I am happy.
When I am there,lets ride!
Thanks again.

akdeluxe

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Phillbo said:
I like the idea of catching the Light Rail since Washington would scare me on a bike.
Washington has nice wide bike lanes from 40th street (at least) to Tempe, it's a good safe ride.

EDIT: I rode Washington/Jefferson today from Priest to 17th Ave, it'll be a pretty safe ride from the airport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts