Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I am planning a trip to Portland from Asheville NC this summer. I called Delta and they claim that they will not accept any luggage over 80" l + w + h. This disqualifies my current bike carrier. Has anyone had any experience lately with the airlines and traveling with their bikes?

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
spitfire111 said:
:confused: I am planning a trip to Portland from Asheville NC this summer. I called Delta and they claim that they will not accept any luggage over 80" l + w + h. This disqualifies my current bike carrier. Has anyone had any experience lately with the airlines and traveling with their bikes?
I've flown many times with American, and though they sometimes charge $80 each way (sometimes the counter agent is bike-friendly and they don't charge), they've aways taken my bike box. Also Southwest Airlines supposedly charge less, if they go where you're going. Shop around.

If any leg of your flight is on a small commuter plane, that could explain an unusual size restriction.

Another option is to package the bike smaller. If you do a search on "traveling with bike," "shipping a bike," or "bike travel cases" on this site, you'll find quite a few posts in the last 6 months on this subject, including tips on packing the bike to minimize damage.

Have a fun trip!
Kathy :^)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.