Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a home build win for me for various cool reasons (fun, learning experience, price, quality control of component selection, yadda...

But the AB Goblin is kicking me. I'm coming up 500 to 600 dollars higher trying to do this on my own with comparable components.

Advantage: Goblin. Talk me out of it.....

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
It usually costs more to build your own, but you do get to put the money into the things you want and avoid components you want to avoid for whatever reason. If it's about the bottom line, the Goblin is hard to beat. OTOH, the reasons you list have merit and value too, sooooo. . . . . there is no absolute right or wrong way to go. Just different. Know what you're getting into beforehand, and knock yourself out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Every bike I've assembled has been much cheaper than any company's complete build. You just need to shop around. Then again, there is much more of a mark up on higher end components. If I were building a bike in the $2,000 price range it just may be that a complete bike is a better value.

The satisfaction of doing it yourself is worth a lot so don't discount the fact that even though you might spend a bit more, you can service the entire bike yourself since you were the one who put it together.

As Jeffj said, you can pick and choose each part, seat, grips, tires, etc. All those little things can make a difference. You can still start with the Goblin frame, only $249 and go from there. You can even take your time and buy a few parts each week. Shop eBay and Craigslist for even better deals.

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
It usually costs more to build your own, but you do get to put the money into the things you want and avoid components you want to avoid for whatever reason. If it's about the bottom line, the Goblin is hard to beat. OTOH, the reasons you list have merit and value too, sooooo. . . . . there is no absolute right or wrong way to go. Just different. Know what you're getting into beforehand, and knock yourself out.
Agree with all of this. I've done both personally, and there are hits and misses to both ways. I can't add too much more than Jeff already did, but two thoughts: 1) The home build is easier (read: cheaper) if you've already got a "parts bin" to pull stuff from and the tools required, which leads into #2) Don't forget about tools needed to complete the home build. There's not too much specialized equipment required, but that can add up as well. Headset press you can make cheaply, for instance, but it can be one more thing to think about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's take tools out of the mix, because they have there own value over time.
The long and short is: the Goblin has components at 1200.
If i build similar i spend 600 more. The Rockshock reba is a big difference. ETC, ETC

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These components are on par with the Goblin:

HOME-BUILD
Goblin Frame 249
Reba RLT 100mm fork on Goblin 418
Included with Frame 0
Stem 40

Bars 50
Grips 15

Disc Brakes - Avid Elixir 7 - Jensen USA 376
Avid Rotors 65

BB - Sram GXP $34.00 Universal Cycles 34
Crankset - Sram XO1 $200.00 Bike-Discount.de 200
Chain - SRAM 1051 $25 bike-Discount.de 25
Cassette - Shimano XT M-771 $50 Bike-Discount.de 60
Derailleur - XT Shadow+ $70 bike-Discount.de 70
Shifter - XT $73 Universal Cycles 73

Seat Post 25
Seatclamp 10
Pedals None

Tires 80
Wheel Set 250
HUBS
Front Skewer Crank Bros 5mm
SPOKES

Saddle
Total........$ 2040
This seems to be a no-brainer......

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I personally like to build. Cost is higher, but you get higher quality components, and I feel more satisfaction knowing I built it up myself. It's pretty fun to build. Just get a $50 tool kit from Pricepoint or Performance, and learn as you go (plenty of how-to'a here and YouTube).

By the way, Shimano hydro brakes are way better than Avids.

·
Long Live the Gorn!
336 Posts
A Seahorses build is really nice...but Agree you can do waaaay better on the brakes.
XT all the way... you should be able to get them for less than 119 each and All due respect much much better brake.

BUT wheelset for 250.. gonna have to look hard for a decent set OR by used which can lead to really good build.

My buddy is master of the build, patience for deals is the key .. Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I tweaked the HOME-BUILD a bit......this is looking better price wise:

Goblin Frame 249
Rock Shox XC 32 TK Solo Air Fork 2013 179.98
Headset included with frame 0
Race Face Ride XC Stem 7.98
Race Face Ride XC Low Riser Handlebar 11.98
Grips 15
Shimano XT M785 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter 99.98
Rear - same as above 99.98
Shimano SLX RT67 Centerlock IceTech Disc Brake Rotor 180 mm front
Shimano SLX RT67 Centerlock IceTech Disc Brake Rotor 160 mm rear
Sram/TruVativ GXP Team BB92 Pressfit MTB Bottom Bracket 35.98
Race Face Narrow Wide single chain ring-30 tooth? 50
or wolf tooth above??????
RaceFace Evolve 1X10 Crankset with bottom bracket? 144.98
Chain - SRAM 1051 25
Chain guide?? ??
Shimano XT M771 Cassette 10 Speed-11-36T?? 61.98
Sram X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur 10 Speed 98.98
Sram X.9 2x10 Trigger Shifters 10 Speed 2013 92.98
or shimano ?????
Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 Setback Seatpost 24.98
Seatclamp 5
Pedals None
Tires-TBD 80
Shimano M529 29er QR15 Disc Wheelset w/ Wheel Master R352 Rim 109.98
Saddle existing
TOTAL $1,436.74

I'm uncertain about the front sus fork and wheels. I know the 1x drive-train needs some additional thought for compatibility........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would upgrade the wheels before the front fork. Get some Stan's ($4-500). I would personally gear down the other components, such as derailleur/cassette and put the money towards nicer wheels.
Yes maybe wheel set needs more attention, thanks!

The present projected cost breakdown of my $1436 build is as follows (rounded):
Frame $250 17%
Sus Fork 215 15%
Brakes 240 17%
Drive Train 510 36%
Wheels/Tires 190 13%

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
OK, I tweaked the HOME-BUILD a bit......this is looking better price wise:

Goblin Frame 249
Rock Shox XC 32 TK Solo Air Fork 2013 179.98
Headset included with frame 0
Race Face Ride XC Stem 7.98
Race Face Ride XC Low Riser Handlebar 11.98
Grips 15
Shimano XT M785 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter 99.98
Rear - same as above 99.98
Shimano SLX RT67 Centerlock IceTech Disc Brake Rotor 180 mm front
Shimano SLX RT67 Centerlock IceTech Disc Brake Rotor 160 mm rear
Sram/TruVativ GXP Team BB92 Pressfit MTB Bottom Bracket 35.98
Race Face Narrow Wide single chain ring-30 tooth? 50
or wolf tooth above??????
RaceFace Evolve 1X10 Crankset with bottom bracket? 144.98
Chain - SRAM 1051 25
Chain guide?? ??
Shimano XT M771 Cassette 10 Speed-11-36T?? 61.98
Sram X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur 10 Speed 98.98
Sram X.9 2x10 Trigger Shifters 10 Speed 2013 92.98
or shimano ?????
Crank Brothers Cobalt 1 Setback Seatpost 24.98
Seatclamp 5
Pedals None
Tires-TBD 80
Shimano M529 29er QR15 Disc Wheelset w/ Wheel Master R352 Rim 109.98
Saddle existing
TOTAL $1,436.74

I'm uncertain about the front sus fork and wheels. I know the 1x drive-train needs some additional thought for compatibility........
You listed a bottom bracket then also listed a crankset with a bottom bracket, you may be able to eliminate one BB.

If you are going 1x10 you don't need both shifters, eBay has a SRAM X.9 rear only shifter for $64, a small savings. If you are going with the wide/narrow chain ring and Type 2 derailleur then you don't need a chain guide.

Not sure why you are specifying center lock brake discs, not sure if the M529 wheels you have shown are CL or 6-bolt. Any money you save, you should put into a better wheel set, the M529 do not even have sealed cartridge bearings.

Probably less than $10 but you will need some grease.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you listed a bottom bracket then also listed a crankset with a bottom bracket, you may be able to eliminate one bb.

Yes, will do that...

If you are going 1x10 you don't need both shifters, ebay has a sram x.9 rear only shifter for $64, a small savings. If you are going with the wide/narrow chain ring and type 2 derailleur then you don't need a chain guide.

Well the chain guide is cheap insurance, but good point.

Not sure why you are specifying center lock brake discs, not sure if the m529 wheels you have shown are cl or 6-bolt. Any money you save, you should put into a better wheel set, the m529 do not even have sealed cartridge bearings.
Cause i really don't know what i'm doing. I usually end up paying for my mistakes. But educations aren't free. Thanks for pointing that out. I need to revisit that!

Probably less than $10 but you will need some grease.
yes, grease is the word....

Thanks very much for your input!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.