Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm looking for some good tire recommendations. I have an '07 Air9, and the website at the time said the Air9 would fit a 2.35" tire. Doesn't seem to be the case, I have Kenda Nevegal 2.2" tires on there with a whopping 2 mm of clearance. Flex in the frame & wheel is enough to get my tire to rub with that little clearance ... enough rub that I'm both missing paint and there's a small grove worn into the seat stay after 1.5 yrs of riding the bike.

So, what's a good tire to run that will provide more than too little 2 mm clearance of my Nevegal's? I like my chunky Nevegal's for Northeast rocky/rooty/muddy trails, and I can't much that's skinnier with chunky tread. Has any run the Continental Mtn. King 2.2s or WTB Prowler 2.1s? Are they skinner than the Nevegals (which I hear are a bit wider than 2.2")? Any other choices?

I love my frame, but hate the lack of rear tire clearance and really wish it had more clearance because I've found it very very frustrating. Has Niner done anything to these frames to give them more clearance on newer models, like flaring out the seat stays near the tires?

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Kendas do tend to run large, but I'm still surprised about your experience. I've got a medium Air9, and have run the very fat Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 in the rear with no clearance issues, but It's pretty much a dry weather tire. The Mountain King 2.2 is relatively narrow and would fit easily. In fact, MK 2.4 would also go with no problems. I think a MK 2.4 front/2.2 rear is a great winter/spring tire combo for the Northest.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
What am I missing? If I'm riding geared it's rarely the stays causing clearance issues - it's the front derailure. I suppose if you don't run the granny your ok.

·
I don't ride enough!
230 Posts
I run 2.35 Rampages on my 08 Air 9 and there is still clearance for bigger meats around the seat/chain stay and FD.

Edit: My Ramages are mounted on 24.4mm Arch wheels

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
vandeda said:
OK, I'm looking for some good tire recommendations. I have an '07 Air9, and the website at the time said the Air9 would fit a 2.35" tire. Doesn't seem to be the case, I have Kenda Nevegal 2.2" tires on there with a whopping 2 mm of clearance. Flex in the frame & wheel is enough to get my tire to rub with that little clearance ... enough rub that I'm both missing paint and there's a small grove worn into the seat stay after 1.5 yrs of riding the bike.

So, what's a good tire to run that will provide more than too little 2 mm clearance of my Nevegal's? I like my chunky Nevegal's for Northeast rocky/rooty/muddy trails, and I can't much that's skinnier with chunky tread. Has any run the Continental Mtn. King 2.2s or WTB Prowler 2.1s? Are they skinner than the Nevegals (which I hear are a bit wider than 2.2")? Any other choices?

I love my frame, but hate the lack of rear tire clearance and really wish it had more clearance because I've found it very very frustrating. Has Niner done anything to these frames to give them more clearance on newer models, like flaring out the seat stays near the tires?

Thanks.
Hi Vandeda,

My apologies you are having issues with your frame. What wheelset do you have? I know a lot of people running Rampage's f/r on AIR9's and E.M.D.9's with no problem on earlier frames. I've run 2.4 Racing Ralphs which is the biggest knobby currenlty available on Crossmax wheels with very little rubbing. Rubbing was out of the saddle climbing on the bar ends, but it was not bad.

The current AIR9's have a 73mm bottom bracket which allows us to pull those chain stays out even further for better tire clearance. The older frames though had the most clearance in their class - we made sure the big tires would fit.

Here are some shots I took of mine with 2.4" Racing Ralph and Crossmax wheel.

Regards,

Brett
Niner Bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Brett and all,

I think something got missed in translation. I have enough clearance with my chainstays. About 5 pennies as your bike Brett with my 2.2 Nevegals, and never any rubbing on the chainstays. Its my seat stays that are the problem, with about 2 pennies worth of clearance. See the attached pictures, what can't be seen in the picture is there's actually a groove worn into the metal of the seat stay.

I had been running Salsa Delgado Race laced to DT Swiss 240s hubs (remember, I'm only 125 lbs). I recently laced up a Stans Arch rim on the back. I wound up ordering some Schwalbe Albert 2.1s. Hopefully more clearance and hopefully I'll like them. Hopefully the Arch's will be stiff enough to prevent tire rub even with the Nevegals, though I'd love to have more clearance than 2 pennies (like my old Moab which had 1/2" of clearance with 2.1s).

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
B.A.R.K. said:
I run 2.35 Rampages on my 08 Air 9 and there is still clearance for bigger meats around the seat/chain stay and FD.

Edit: My Ramages are mounted on 24.4mm Arch wheels
How much clearance do you have? As can be seen in the pictures below, I have 2 pennies with my 2.2 Nevegals, so I really don't have any additional room for larger tires. How wide are the 2.35 Rampages vs. the 2.2 Nevegals?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one back to the top because I need recommendations on a rear tire.

I have a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 that rub the seat stays when climbing. Like the OP, I have a 2 penny (or less) gap from the tire to the seat stay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts