Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Thought I’d show you my race bike for the Laramie Range Enduro I have coming up on Saturday. It’s 111K of riding in the Wyoming backcountry. It’s an Air9, Kermit Green, size large - 3.351 pounds of green scandium racing goodness.

Most of the course is fast rolling decomposed Sherman granite packed double track and fast hard packed single track. I though a 1x9 would be nice and light. A super light bike is pretty nice at mile 65. Most of this race can be done in middle ring, so I said what the heck.

I think I could squeeze out another pound at least if I put a lighter “race” tire (Nano’s were 620 and 630 grams), use a different chain guide setup, seat post, and rotors. The Nano though is still to this day my one of favorite tires and rides so nice tubeless at 25 psi. They just ride like big balloon tires and wrap themselves around rocks. The wheel set is super light and spins up fast.

I decided to try a 12-27 Dura Ace cassette, Ultegra derailleur, and I put a 32 tooth FSA downhill chain ring on there. It’s barely heavier, not ramped, and there is zero flex out of this thing. Between the ring and the road rear end, the power transfer feels really tight. The chain guide system is a stock chain ring with teeth removed and a Sram X-7 derailleur modified with an NGear Jump Stop ramp added. The stock jump stop was a 28.6 for one of my old steel bikes and I ran out of time to order a 35mm. It’s not much lighter than a derailleur. The NGear part isn’t moving anywhere as it has several types of locking washers on there being held by a 4mm allen socket head cap screw holding it all together.

Overall I’m pleased with the build; it’s solid yet still really light. The bike just floats through the chunk and flat out hauls on rocky roads. We just had a pretty big soaking storm roll through (we’re counting months now without seeing rain) so being packed down will make it even faster!

Brett
Niner Bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Air9

Nice ride. 2 of my riding buddies will be up there this weekend on Niners as well. I assume they're going geared since the One9 would be insane.

Here's a pic of my Air9 1x9. Using 12/34 XTR cassette, SRAM XO medium cage, amd a Boone 32T chainring. Eats up everything out here in the Front Range for climbing and descending. 21.5# with the heavy Avid BB7s.

Attachments

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
Nice bike Brett :thumbsup:

Sorry to be off topic but are you going to start shipping the JET9 new rockers next week, as planned ?

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brett,
That's a nice set up. Looks good and fast. I've got 3 questions for you:

1) How did your race go? (I've done this race before and look forward to getting out there again.)

2) What do you think of the carbon 31.6 post vs. a 27.2 post and shim? (I've got an AIR9 and ONE9 and both have shims and 27.2 posts. Works OK but I'm curious what you think.)

3) What version of Nanoraptors are those? Wire or kevlar? Tubes or tubeless?

Thanks! I've been racing my AIR9 quite a bit here in Minnesota and lovin' it!

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Menzo,

We have not gotten them yet...but will be shipping same day once they come in.

Brett

·
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ww sunn said:
I've got 3 questions for you:

1) How did your race go? (I've done this race before and look forward to getting out there again.)
This was my 5th Enduro, and my worst one....I crashed in the first 20 minutes of the race. I signed up for the pro/expert class (mainly so I can get a good start at the front of 350 people) and the race took off fast. I was probably in 20th position going into the singletrack after a 500 yard service road climbing start. It funneled into a 2 mile fast tight singletrack then it opened back up to a gravel service road for another 3 miles. The super fast guys had about 100 yards on us at this point and about 10-12 of us had a paceline chasing.. it was a false flat descent, we were going probably 28-30mph. We turn a corner and a black Angus cow (open range up there) walks out in the road about 200 yards in front of us. The group kinda freaks not knowing which way the cow will go and we bump handlebars. Someone hits me from behind though next and takes me out hard. I went down hard but slid since it was small pea gravel and got back up pretty quick. When I tried to lift my bike up off the ground couldn't use my left arm...I knew right away it was my collarbone. Luckily it's my left side and I'm right handed. It's broken clean through about 5" from my shoulder, it's weird to feel it moving back and forth in there and sleeping is painful. My helmet is cracked in half and I have gravel rash all over my left side. It sucks...the crash wasn't so bad but the landing on my shoulder is what did me in. I'm bummed because I'm probably the fittest I've been since we've had kids.
LOTS of hard 5 hour days on the weekend, now something dumb like this happens. Now it's 12 ounce curls in front of the tv for the next 8 weeks I guess...

ww sunn said:
2) What do you think of the carbon 31.6 post vs. a 27.2 post and shim? (I've got an AIR9 and ONE9 and both have shims and 27.2 posts. Works OK but I'm curious what you think.)
I'm liking the Bontrager carbon 31.6, but Dejay Birtch who races for us swears by a carbon 27.2 w/ shim. It's got a lot more flex...especially for those longer 100's and 24 hours like he does.

ww sunn said:
3) What version of Nanoraptors are those? Wire or kevlar? Tubes or tubeless?
I've got the folding (Aramid I believe?) Nano's which were 620 and 630 grams, set up with 2 scoops of stans at about 25 psi front and 28 psi rear. They are a great tire for the enduro and still one of my favorites for Colorado.

Cheers,

Brett
Niner Bikes

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Damn... a broken collarbone...yuck. :nono:

I guess that might slow you down a bit for a while Brett... :D

Nevertheless, think of it this way ... now you get to spend the weekends with the family... :thumbsup:

R.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. It sure sounds like you were on track for a wicked fast race. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Tubeless Nanoraptors, eh? I sure liked them a few years ago with the steel bead - I'll have to try them again. Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts