Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone riding a 6 or more inch travel freeride bike with an air shock? I was thinking about switching out my Coil for an air on my Giant AC1. I like the adjustability of air shocks but not sure about durability when used for drops and such. Is this a bad move?

Any input appreciated.

REEK

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I've always thought

LandonVega said:
If you blow a coil shock you can still ride out but if you blow an air shock its a long walk out. Im not sure about this but dont air shocks blow a lot more on drops and such.
I've always thought that too. But I wasn't sure if recent shock technology has improved enough to make that thought process a thing of the past. I see that Giant's VT and similar bikes come with an AIR Swinger but the AC comes with a coil. Obviously the AC will be taking bigger hits than the VT. Since I'm pretty new to the long travel bike scene, I mostly rode XC for the last two decades, I was just curious if there were any other reasons for a coil shock on the bigger hit bikes. And also if newer air shocks could be used.

REEK

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Some people do, especially with the 5th Air, and Swinger airs. There's a new Manitou one coming out specifically for dhing. I myself prefer coils but then again I'm a clyde. Im sure as long as you're careful they're alright.

·
Registered
108 Posts
no, coil shocks are the only way to go. air shocks are fine but not for taking big drops. if you compress it too much fast enough all that air will explode the shock. and there are other reasons too. for the long travel like that coil is plusher and has better rebound. dirt bike use oil and coil just like free-dh. for a reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.