Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my last season on my 2014 5010C as my primary (and right now, only) whip. I've mod'd it out in most parts except suspension. So before I upgrade to a new bike, I thought I'd play with the suspension this season. Namingly coils.

I live in Marin County, CA and trail riding is 90% of my jam. So what I'm looking for is SMALL BUMP COMPLIANCE. my air system takes the medium stuff pretty good. But I get rattled on the small stuff pretty much at any speed.

I can pick up a Cane Creek DB CS coil on Pinkbike for $300 which seems pretty good. I'll have to buy a new spring for my weight (140lbs). Not sure about what I could put up front without spending $$.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
What shock are you on now?

Getting rattled on small bumps is nearly always the damper lacking.

That ccdb is a great shock. It has a quality damper that works well, the coil is sort of secondary to all that.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Your harshness is 100% from the ctd shock. Almost any air shock on the market would be world's better. So would almost any coil.

You're in a great position to upgrade! Anything you buy will be night and day better.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yeah no need to go with a coil unless you really want to. The CTD is absolute junk, just about anything will be better aside from maybe a coil shock from a walmart bike. Other option would be to go with something like a Manitou McLeod or RS Super Deluxe. Small bump compliance and square edge hits are the McLeod bread and butter.

Since you are planning to upgrade the bike after this season, why not get something on the cheaper side? That is unless you are "coilcurious" for the next bike?!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah no need to go with a coil unless you really want to. The CTD is absolute junk, just about anything will be better aside from maybe a coil shock from a walmart bike. Other option would be to go with something like a Manitou McLeod or RS Super Deluxe. Small bump compliance and square edge hits are the McLeod bread and butter.

Since you are planning to upgrade the bike after this season, why not get something on the cheaper side? That is unless you are "coilcurious" for the next bike?!
I am coilcurious base on articles I've read but not married to the idea. What would you suggest on the "cheaper" side? And what about up front? The 32 feels pretty tiny at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Really depends on how much you want to spend. If you are seriously planning to buy a new bike next year then I would say go with a cheap RS or Manitou single barrel style shock and leave the front alone. Save the money to add on to your new bike purchase.

Past that, Manitou McLeod for rear (should run you around $300 from places like CRC) and front maybe look into the SR Suntour Upgrade program and swap to a Auron RC2 (34mm stanchions).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by "small bump" compliance. There is high and low speed damping and the defining speed in between is somewhat arbitrary for this discussion. You hit a sharp-edged bump, even if it's relatively small, at speed, and your high speed damping is lacking, it's going to send you into the air and feel crazy harsh. Low speed damping is somewhat "easier" to engineer, as far as reacting to g-outs, loading the bike, chassis movement, etc., but the usual problem is that increasing it has an adverse effect on the high speed damping, in other words it makes it harsh. The bumps that have sharper transitions are generally "high speed" bumps and where this is most apparent. Maybe some people call these "small bump", but you can have small low-speed damping event bumps too, so that doesn't really describe this situation well. The poor performance is mostly due to extremely lacking high speed damping, overly-simplistic valve designs, poor fluid flow, etc. This is common on OEM stuff to prevent big riders from blowing out the shocks. In almost all cases, a coil shock will feel better, but I do prefer an air shock in some situations, such as smoother trails with bigger jumps and launches. This assumes a good tune and a shock that doesn't blow through travel due to damping and air-spring characteristics though. Coil sprung shocks can be significantly more consistent if the leverage curve is designed around the shock. In the case of SC, that's not quite the case, they use some pretty wacky leverage curves.

Up front, you may be able to get your fork tuned by Push, that would make a huge difference. I don't find that you have to match the front spring type with the rear IF the damping is good, in other words with an avy cart up front I'm not going crazy trying to upgrade my Lyrik to coil just because I have a tuned coil in the rear. The bike works pretty damn nice like this, but coil is usually a bit of an upgrade still.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts

CTD should be renamed: Wobbly-dive-blow-through-travel, The-harsh, F-ing-unbelievably -harsh (WTF?)

·
Registered
64 Posts

Can you point me in the direction of the metric super deluxe please.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm rating my X2 for buttery smoothness. But set up is everything. I like plush. So thats how i set it up. One of my buddies has a push coil shock and he likes firm. my plush x2 is way better at small bump compliance than his firm push coil.

·
Who's riding today?
1,430 Posts
That CTD is CRAP-TURD-DULL. Worst shock yet out of FOX. I too ride a 5010cc V.1 I have upgraded the fork to Cane Creek Helm Coil (running at 140mm) and the Cane Creek inline coil.

Summary: No need to change bikes !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.