Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had this problem but it is now becoming scary. When riding I feel very aware of everything around me, the trail, the woods, the riders around me, my stance. . . All of these things I feel, see, and most importantly remember. My problem comes in when I hit a jump or a drop that has more than, lets just say 1 second of air.
I can remember the approach, the way my gut feels as I am in the air, my feet on the pedals, and the landing. But, I visually can't remember anything while getting the air. This past weekend I had a chance to go to Clemson, SC and hit their freeride and DH course and it was a blast. But on some of the drops I got the crap scared outta me due to my above problem.
Has anyone else encounter this that can give me some hints. I have built up some 3' and below drops to flat on my property and have hit them over and over and although everything feels better I still don't remember the air time, and that is with putting forth an effort to.
Any ideas guys and gals?

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
i know exactly what you mean, its related to your responses and the faster they get, the more you'll be able to take in while in the air. I used to get all the time, and unfortunately it contributed to a broken leg, but i am now getting better and better, and now am able to move around in the air consciously, which is a huge benefit, and allows for tweaking.

I can't guarantee it, but i'm pretty sure it'll get better. Just keep practising.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to assume that it is just my body going into freak out mode but it happens even when I am doing something small. I guess I am going to just have to force it.
I really want to learn how to do some small tricks just to style things up a bit and some actual useful things like being able to change directions in the air. But if I can see what is going on then I can't do anything.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
I have been there and, for the most part, I am still there. I started by trying to tweak my bars every time and off of everything. Nothing too much at first, starting with a little one. This would make me be aware while in the air, and most importantly it gave me a goal to accomplish. This way I would have to pay attention while airborne.

But... it seems when I do a jump or drop that scares me I fall back into not paying attention to anything other than the landing. You comfort level and fear factor pay a big role in this.

Just loosen up, be confident, and give yourself a goal and you should progress in no time.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
sodak06 said:
I have been there and, for the most part, I am still there. I started by trying to tweak my bars every time and off of everything. Nothing too much at first, starting with a little one. This would make me be aware while in the air, and most importantly it gave me a goal to accomplish. This way I would have to pay attention while airborne.

But... it seems when I do a jump or drop that scares me I fall back into not paying attention to anything other than the landing. You comfort level and fear factor pay a big role in this.

Just loosen up, be confident, and give yourself a goal and you should progress in no time.
I get this too after 7-8 yrs of riding, it still hinders me. It's like my body/mind goes into this panic based on the possibility of wrecking and I sorta feel like it's my body getting ready for the possibility of an injury impact and it just locks up and gets numb. When I lost my arm in a motorcycle wreck 18 yrs ago, I couldn't remember anything about it except putting on my steel toes before going down the road, yet the EMT later told me I was talking to him and holding the oxygen mask w/my other arm while he worked on me, I remember none of it. My other arm was torn completely off at the time. I think my mind "goes to the same place" at some point during the jump. My .02

·
If you think you can
1,043 Posts
Wow! You have been riding for 7-8 years with one arm? Congrats man. That really shows a lot about your love for this sport!

man w/ one hand said:
I get this too after 7-8 yrs of riding, it still hinders me. It's like my body/mind goes into this panic based on the possibility of wrecking and I sorta feel like it's my body getting ready for the possibility of an injury impact and it just locks up and gets numb. When I lost my arm in a motorcycle wreck 18 yrs ago, I couldn't remember anything about it except putting on my steel toes before going down the road, yet the EMT later told me I was talking to him and holding the oxygen mask w/my other arm while he worked on me, I remember none of it. My other arm was torn completely off at the time. I think my mind "goes to the same place" at some point during the jump. My .02

·
Registered
556 Posts
That is Gnar. One arm must be wey harder than one eye, my hats off to you. I've learn to trust the bike's suspension and try to focus on the landing first than look down the run out. Landings get sketchy when I do lookback whips and when I'm spinning. I have a lot of practice at the tuck and roll. Good luck and keep practicing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
once you are in the air its usually too late to think about what you want to do. You need to be able to hit the lip with out thinking about the jump or what may happen.
The basics need to be automatic. You generally need to began your tricks right as your front tire leaves the lip (unless the jump gap is freaking huge) so there is usually no time to think about the jump.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. So I new practice more would be suggested and I am pretty much hearing that I need to defeat my instincts on this. I am not much interested in doing tail whips (although it would be cool) or things of that nature. More interested in doing directional changes. and things of that nature.

I will keep practicing and pushing myself. I love the feeling of flying through the air, I think being able to take in the full experience would be awesome. Then again that is what helmet cams are for right lol.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Maybe learn to relax more. Kinda meditate it out. I've only done it really a few times, mostly in skiing. But I can sometimes get into kind of a zone, and picture nailing the trick vividly in my head kind of as I'm doing it, and I've nailed a number of tricks for the first time this way.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I only get into that mode when I'm doing something that I probably shouldn't be doing. For me it's a matter of blocking out the common sense survival instinct (the little voice that keeps you from trying anything cool).

·
Petty and weak
742 Posts
That sounds foreign to me.... are there any other points you don't remember on your rides? I sometimes forget things when I'm in shock, like what goes on before and after big spills (spinal fractures, broken femur, collarbones, ribs, wrist, foot, finger).
I remember my airtime regardless, even when I'm st1d :D

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
This used to happen to me (especially on drops), I could remember the feeling and the sounds (rrrrrrrrr-whoooooshrrrrrrrrrr-THUD = freehub+wind+landing), but NEVER what I would see in the air. Its slowly going away. Maybe as my airtime gets longer there is more to remember as well. Also, the more relaxed I am hitting a jump, the more I have the time to really feel what is going on in the air.

·
Petty and weak
742 Posts
Another option.
Maybe you forget your airtime because you didn't really do it (insert spooky music here). It's likely a Tales From The Twilight Zone kind of deal, whereby Aliens abduct you immediately prior to jump-launch, and then probe you and all that jazz, and thence return you to Earth, on the other side of the jump or drop (still atop your beautiful bicycle, and with your newly-probed posterior anaesthetised). The only way you can tell if this is what is happenning to you is to remove your seat, leaving the exposed seatpost to jab you in said posterior to check if you've been administered post-probing anaesthesia. It is an unpleasant diagnostic procedure, but sadly necessary in this crazy mixed-up world. Let me know how you go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i know exactly what u mean. it happend to me at the end of last summer and i lost all my skill for some reason. ive been riding for years. then i had a bad crash broke my frame and when i got a new one back from SC and had a new bike built up, 8 months later, i was faster than ever before.. my oppinion. watch the pros. just watch watch watch see how they do it and when you go to do something invision how peaty, minnar or condro would do it. i find it helps alot.

so yeah....advice, take a little time off ur bike, quit beating ur self up about it and study the crap outa pro vids like u have the biggest effing final in the world comming up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.