Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Air-sprung Pike on a 5-spot? Adjustable travel to 140, 20mm axle, 4.1lbs...

I am targeting more of an XC slant for my 160# weight and am trying to decide between this and the '05 Talas RLC. I wonder whether the air-spring will reduce the Pike-bottoming problems that others have had...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just mounted a Pike Race Air on my Spot. It weighs 4.77# with the Maxle. The Pike air models are not available with externally adjustable travel until 2006. The current air models (which I do not believe are on the market yet?) are only internally adjustable. I also have a Pike Team (coil, u-turn, 5.10# w/ maxle). You may well not have the bottoming problems I had if you run the firm spring at your weight and stick to mostly XC.

I'll post some thoughts on the Pike air in the future after I have had a chance to try it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TS.

I should have guessed that you'd be all over it. Boy, RS's quoted 4.1# was must have been with helium in the air spring! Looking forward to your impressions (and to see how long it lasts in your hands...)

tscheezy said:
Funny you should ask. I just mounted a Pike Race Air on my Spot. It weighs 4.77# with the Maxle. The Pike air models are not available with externally adjustable travel until 2006. The current air models (which I do not believe are on the market yet?) are only internally adjustable. I also have a Pike Team (coil, u-turn, 5.10# w/ maxle). You may well not have the bottoming problems I had if you run the firm spring at your weight and stick to mostly XC.

I'll post some thoughts on the Pike air in the future after I have had a chance to try it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pike Team

My Pike Team Dual Air weighs 4.2 pounds with the Maxle and a full length steerer.

The steel steerer and solid crown of the Race add some weight over the alu steerer and hollow crown of the Team.

I have been riding a Pike Dual Air on my Spot for the last 6 months. I think it is the perfect fork for the Spot. It is very light for 140mm of travel, is very stiff and has a super adjustable air spring. If travel adjust is a big deal to you, then you might not like it. I have done a lot of super long, steep climbs with the fork set at 140 and it doesn't bother me a bit.

The Dual Air forks have been available through distributors for months now.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Pike air did well today. It is noticeably more progressive in the spring rate curve than the coil Pike, and using the negative chamber you can dial in the early stroke softness you want while still having it ramp up nicely at the end. I did a few good drops today that would have stuffed the coil to the crown, and while I did end up adding 20 psi (to a total of 130 psi positive) to the main chamber, it only took a few minutes to get the main spring dialed. The valve for the negative chamber is very short and my normal pump would not seat fully before bottoming on a nut, so I could not increase the negative pressure commensurate with the positive on the ride. The result was that topout was a bit of a thump at times.

The stroke was just as smooth as on the coil pike (the air model is well broken in, thanks DD ;) ). The Motion Control stuff works the same, but I didn't play with it much other than to add a touch of platform on the climb (1 turn of Floodgate, Compression full slow). I ran rebound full-fast. I did notice me missing some sort of travel/height adjust on the fork a few times. My Vanilla is the only fork I have owned in many years which does not have some on the fly adjust. With a fork as tall as the Pike on the Spot there are times when being able to lower the front is nice. I ended up having to push one hill I think I could have ridden otherwise but I was chest-on-stem and the front still popped up.

This progressive/adjustable spring behavior, combined with the projected weight of the Team model, combined with some U-Turn feature (offered on the Pike in 06?), combined with the other features the Pike sports (MC, Maxle, etc) could finally make my Zokes nervous.

Here's the bullpen:

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
Stupid Q For you TS - what do you do about the lower headset races on all of your forks? Do you remove/remount them each time you want to mount a different fork or do you have an endless supply of them?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I only have 6 King crown races right now, so 3 forks are sans races (3 forks are not pictured). Two of those forks I will probably never use again (and one of those is laying around the garage in tiny pieces), so I am only short one race right now which I have on order with Larry. I should see it by this time next year. :rolleyes:

I run King headsets on all my bikes, so swapping forks is easy.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
A few shots from today (do I even need an excuse?). The weather is muy magnifico. Spring is threatening to get sprung all over us.

The Pike air is very nice indeed. All my bottoming issues seem to have magically evaporated and the fork is just soo smooth (with everything running full-fast). Note the zip tie on the stanchion in the pics after doing some drops which would have slammed the coil version all the way home. It enjoys a very Zoke-like progressive stroke, and that is a high compliment.

I have to admit that I do still miss being able to lower the sucker somehow, but baby steps...

I popped the Gravity Dropper post onto the Spot for a go and I think I may have to order another one soon. This thing just kicks butt on every bike.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Nice report on the Pike air TS. I felt the same way about the Reba Team U-turn I put on the Burner and finally got to try out on rock this past week. It worked great once I got the air pressures correct, ran about 10lbs more in the negative chamber and opened up the Floodgate 4 full turns from closed - virtually wide open, three clicks on the rebound. At these settings, the fork ate small stuff up like it wasn't even there, but handled drops and ledges with aplomb. Extremely stiff (compared to Psylo SL remember), and confidence inspiring with the big 32mm stanchions. It sounds like it's the Pike's little brother in all respects except the ability to adjust travel. This option was the real seller for me. I ran it full short at 85mm on a number of pavement climbs (Colo. Nat. Mounment), at 100-105mm on most of the Fruita single track, but all out at 115mm on ledgedrops into Steve's loop, Horsethief etc. So far there have been no maintenance or reliability issues and I now have over 300 miles miles on it, including some frigid winter rides. If the Reba is any indicator, the Team air Pike U-Turn should be the bomb for bigger travel bikes.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I would be very curious to see a diagram of the U-Turn air system and see how it works. I may have to download the manuals for those forks from RS.

On a separate note, I got my other DHX back from Fox today and it was declunked. We'll see how long the party lasts.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,368 Posts
cutthroat said:
Nice report on the Pike air TS. I felt the same way about the Reba Team U-turn I put on the Burner and finally got to try out on rock this past week. It worked great once I got the air pressures correct, ran about 10lbs more in the negative chamber and opened up the Floodgate 4 full turns from closed - virtually wide open, three clicks on the rebound. At these settings, the fork ate small stuff up like it wasn't even there, but handled drops and ledges with aplomb. Extremely stiff (compared to Psylo SL remember), and confidence inspiring with the big 32mm stanchions. It sounds like it's the Pike's little brother in all respects except the ability to adjust travel. This option was the real seller for me. I ran it full short at 85mm on a number of pavement climbs (Colo. Nat. Mounment), at 100-105mm on most of the Fruita single track, but all out at 115mm on ledgedrops into Steve's loop, Horsethief etc. So far there have been no maintenance or reliability issues and I now have over 300 miles miles on it, including some frigid winter rides. If the Reba is any indicator, the Team air Pike U-Turn should be the bomb for bigger travel bikes.
Are you getting full travel out of your Reba? It seems like I cannot get that last 1/2 inch out of mine. I'm running absurdly low pressures (75-85 PSI on the positive and negative) and it gives a pretty good ride, but it is way below what the recommended pressures for my weight (200 lbs. give or take). I love the big stanchions and the extra confidence they bring, but I'm starting to question my sanity with this fork.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I think I was getting pretty near the full amount of travel. I didn't run a zip tie on the stanchion, but judging by the marks left in the dust by the fork seals, I had about 1/2" of stanchion that was left exposed below the crown at full compression. This seems like pretty full travel to me, but remember I'm not launching off anything more than 1-2 feet, and am just doing ledge drops, bunny hops and roll overs. No more broken collar bones thank you. My results were on the U-Turn version which runs higher air pressures than the Dual Air. I'm about 180 in the saddle, and I ran the positive at 135lbs and the negative at 145lbs. I started the ride with 145 in each and didn't feel like I was getting enough travel. For the Dual Air Reba I have on the O2, I'm running 120 in the positive and 130 in the negative and it seems to ride very much the same, but I'm still playing with that rig to get it dialed in with the Manitou 3-Way. This ride will have a higher platform and a firmer setting overall for racing. I've had no chance to run the O2 on rocks and ledges yet so that report is yet to arrive. There are two things to note that I only picked up after re-reading the Reba service manuals. On the U-Turn models you need to make your air adjustments with the fork fully extended to 115mm. On both U-Turn and Dual Air you need to adjust the Flood Gate with the compression knob in the fully locked position. I don't know which model you have, but I noticed that not following these last two instructions realy threw off the performace. The first few tweaks I made seemed really odd until I realized I was adding air in the 100mm setting and turning the FG with the compression open. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Steering damper

Tscheezy, what's the advantage/disadvantage of having the steering damper (a Hopey, I assume)?

Often wondered whether they were a good thing...

BTW, you've convinced me to push the 'go' button on the GravityDropper, as well.

Love the fact that you've got a rack for your forks... and that it's STILL not big enough to fit them all on!

Love yer work,
Robbo

·
Registered
245 Posts
You're right...

... I guess I am screwed.

Probably should have done a search. Not actually used to doing it, not having been on a forum for a few years.

And now I remember why.

Just trying to make conversation, mate, but it seems that's not the purpose of this forum. My apologies.

Signing off and gettin' lost,
Tim Robson

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
vs. talas

TS, how does the Pike compare to your memories of the '05 Talas? Also, do you know what the Pike's A-to-C is when set at 130 travel?

I always leave it to you to stoke my UGI, but that fork rack is sick... I've been waiting for an excuse to get some Hadleys too...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I think the A-C at 140mm travel is 518mm-ish, and you can simply subtract any drop in travel from that number, so 130mm travel would be 508mm.

I really would have to ride the forks back to back, or at least within a week or two apart. I could not do a meaningful comparison at this point. All I can say is that I have happy memories of the Talas but would not go much futher.

·
Registered
245 Posts
tscheezy said:
Perhaps you didn't pick up on the fact that I was being fascetious and did the search for you and provided the links...

Hope that helps.
:eek:

Who was suffering a distinct lack of caffeine-enabled clarity and perspective this morning, then?

Sorry, tscheezy, I'm a dick... a bad-tempered dick at that...

Robbo,
who will go sit in a corner and read abt Hopeys...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Please don't feel weird about it. We tend to be a pretty obtuse bunch here and forget that not everyone shares our affinity for "clown crap" (do a search for that while you're at it ;) ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.