Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have been playing around with my gal's components on her Bullit and XC Bike's we have come to the following conclusion. Air may not be the way to go for somebody under 120 lbs. When air pressure is lowered enough to become plush and small bump compliant the Fork/Shock becomes sluggish and loses the ability to rebound. This is the case with Nixon Platinum, Swinger 3 way, Swinger 4 way, Fox RP3. She has gone back to coil over on all the shocks and will probably go to a Pike Coil and Boxxer Team with light springs on the front. The only fork we have used that seemed to be able to set up for her weight is a 05 Fox Talus. The worst is the Fox RP3. I also found if I droop the SPV pressure below 50 psi on the Nixon Plat it creates a knocking sound internally.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Same here with my GF. She is 110lbs and rides a RS Psylo up front. She tried a Fox Talas and it was terrible, same as you describe. In the rear she has a Swinger 3way that is, OK, but barely. However one air shock that does work for light people is the CaneCreek Cloud9.

telemarc said:
As we have been playing around with my gal's components on her Bullit and XC Bike's we have come to the following conclusion. Air may not be the way to go for somebody under 120 lbs. When air pressure is lowered enough to become plush and small bump compliant the Fork/Shock becomes sluggish and loses the ability to rebound. This is the case with Nixon Platinum, Swinger 3 way, Swinger 4 way, Fox RP3. She has gone back to coil over on all the shocks and will probably go to a Pike Coil and Boxxer Team with light springs on the front. The only fork we have used that seemed to be able to set up for her weight is a 05 Fox Talus. The worst is the Fox RP3. I also found if I droop the SPV pressure below 50 psi on the Nixon Plat it creates a knocking sound internally.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
telemarc said:
I don't disagree (coil springs do feel nice), but, since you say she seems to be at the low end of the damping range, did you try a lighter weight damper oil? I assume the Nixon uses 5wt like other Manitous, so try 2.5wt or less?
Redline suspension fluid comes in a ~2.5wt (blue), but it also comes in like water" (which I think is <2wt), so one of them should get her damping in a more usable range. If you already have a Nixon on her bike, why not try lighter oil before giving up on it...
Here's the Redline site:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?productID=69&productvariationID=94
I picked it up at a local moto shop, and they have a dealer search also.

Shocks are a different story, the reviews say many RP3 users find its rebound can be much slower than their previous Float R, and a non-adjustable Propedal would probably not have the right platform. You might look into getting an RP3 PUSHed specifically for her, or at least ask them if they can make it work.

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for that,
I could not find oil lighter than the 5 wt around here so had given up on that. I will order some and hopefully it will help. She now has a DHX 5.0 shock and is happy with it without sacrificing too much weight so she will probably just steer clear of air shocks for a while.

·
noMAD man
12,117 Posts
Agree on Cloud 9

BanzaiRider said:
Same here with my GF. She is 110lbs and rides a RS Psylo up front. She tried a Fox Talas and it was terrible, same as you describe. In the rear she has a Swinger 3way that is, OK, but barely. However one air shock that does work for light people is the CaneCreek Cloud9.
I've had two of them on different bikes and they have an amazingly wide lattitude of application. I've even tried one on a Bullit and currently run one on a modified '00 Enduro Big Hit. A very simple but fairly effective shock. I won't take one over a DHX Air or Manitou 4-Way Air, but it's a surprisingly good shock.

·
Registered
710 Posts
telemarc said:
Thanx for that,
I could not find oil lighter than the 5 wt around here so had given up on that. I will order some and hopefully it will help. She now has a DHX 5.0 shock and is happy with it without sacrificing too much weight so she will probably just steer clear of air shocks for a while.
motor cycle shops sell 2.5wt oil

They usually have Golden Spectro Too!

I've done this to a few forks so far with good results.

·
on a routine expedition
1,582 Posts
telemarc said:
My girlfriend just switched from a DHX-Air to a PUSH'd RP3 for the reasons you mentioned. The DHX-A, when set for her weight, was very mushy and rebounded too slowly. She is running a Fox Vanilla fork that also has PUSH mods, and the front and rear suspension is now very well balanced.

The PUSH tuning and mods can fix these problems and make air shocks and forks work perfectly for light weight riders. I would recommend giving them a call. They can explain what they do much better than I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts