Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Turner riders, I got a couple questions for you guys. First off, I've been switching between a rp3 and dhx coil on my 6 pack.

For xc, the rp3 feels pretty sweet. But when the going gets really rough it struggles. And when i take it off a drop (just something small, say 4- 5 ft) it makes a horrible clunking noise and feels like a harsh bottoming out even though its not using all the travel. Anyone out their with any experience of using a rp3 on a pack/rfx?

I'm thinking of selling both shocks and getting a dhx air to lighten up the ride and get some cash even though i love the feel of the coil. But i am now wary of air shocks after my experience with the rp3.

Any homers out there hucking big drops or ridin long alpine style dh with a dhx air?

Just one other thing, there are some 7 inch rfx-pack rockers on ebay right now. An extra inch is always tempting at the price they are going for but would they work well with the standard shock size considering the high ratio of 3.5 that would give?

Apologies for the very long post, any advice would be very welcome.

Tom

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
tompg7 said:
Fellow Turner riders, I got a couple questions for you guys. First off, I've been switching between a rp3 and dhx coil on my 6 pack.

For xc, the rp3 feels pretty sweet. But when the going gets really rough it struggles. And when i take it off a drop (just something small, say 4- 5 ft) it makes a horrible clunking noise and feels like a harsh bottoming out even though its not using all the travel. Anyone out their with any experience of using a rp3 on a pack/rfx?

I'm thinking of selling both shocks and getting a dhx air to lighten up the ride and get some cash even though i love the feel of the coil. But i am now wary of air shocks after my experience with the rp3.

Any homers out there hucking big drops or ridin long alpine style dh with a dhx air?

Just one other thing, there are some 7 inch rfx-pack rockers on ebay right now. An extra inch is always tempting at the price they are going for but would they work well with the standard shock size considering the high ratio of 3.5 that would give?

Apologies for the very long post, any advice would be very welcome.

Tom
How much do you weigh? I think El C was rockin a RP3 at one point on the Pack. I only weigh about 170 lbs. and have the DHX Air. I have no complaints. I don't huck a whole lot and the biggest drop I've ever done is probably around 4-5 feet. I've never bottomed it out. If you're a bigger guy I would stay away from it, especially given the leverage ratio of the Pack. Otherwise, I have no problem recommending it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im a pretty light dude, around 145 lbs.

I noticed a dhx air in the classifides with a modified body to make it more progressive which apparently is superior to the standard dhx air, but i thought the sweet thing about a dhx air is the its quite linear, similar to a coil in that respect?

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Check to see if your RP3 is "stuck down". (Search on that term if you're unfamilliar)

There is a better way of getting 7" on your RFX than those high leverage plates.
(unless you're talking about Renegade's):thumbsup:
anyway see page 2

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Tom, can you provide us a link to these rockers you're looking at? I have a suspicion that we've seen these before, and if they are what I think they are, you will want to stay far away from them. Thanks.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
tompg7 said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250077061293&rd=1&rd=1

Here see if this works otherwise just search 'turner bikes' on ebay

I dont think my rp3 is stuck down cos i can get full compression out of it by taking air out, it just doesnt seem to work well on the drops.
Tom, thanks for the link. Yup, that's them. If you think you're having troubles now.....stay faaaaaaaar away from those rockers. The only shock that will ever work with them will be an avalanche that Craig will have to make custom for you.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Oh brother,

This set of plates show up every couple of months. Listen to Renny... no really.

About the RP3: getting full compression is not proof it's not stuck down. Getting full extension is. 7.5" bolt center to bolt center (I2I).
It may not be your problem but check to be sure.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
If you love the feel of coil, sell the RP3 and use the money to get the DHX pushed. I'm your weight as well, and I could never get the stock rp3 to feel good for me. I have a pushed vanilla rc and it rides great. I'm sure a pushed dhx would be even better.

Valving for lighter riders makes a big difference, imo. Being light, I am concerned with putting needlessly heavy components on my bike, however the rear suspension is one area where I will take performance over light weight every time.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
beefmagic said:
If you love the feel of coil, sell the RP3 and use the money to get the DHX pushed. I'm your weight as well, and I could never get the stock rp3 to feel good for me. I have a pushed vanilla rc and it rides great. I'm sure a pushed dhx would be even better.

Valving for lighter riders makes a big difference, imo. Being light, I am concerned with putting needlessly heavy components on my bike, however the rear suspension is one area where I will take performance over light weight every time.
and if you really love the fell of coil, sell the RP3 and the DHX coil and get an avalanche :) (this, coming from a moron who has yet to ride one but still....)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the wise words regarding the rockers, i thought there must be a reason they are so cheap and industrially ugly

yea beef, i think getting the dhx pushed may be the way to go. i think a ti spring will be on my next xmas list as well!

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Tom, your welcome. Those rockers do leave a little to be desired in regards to appearance. For instance, they don't look anywhere near as good as these c'mon everybody, you knew this was coming:

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Renegade said:
Tom, your welcome. Those rockers do leave a little to be desired in regards to appearance. For instance, they don't look anywhere near as good as these c'mon everybody, you knew this was coming:
So when you gonna start selling them rockers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.