Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing research into what's going inside the current Rockshox Deluxe lineup in terms of stroke adjustment.

For example, you can get a Deluxe in 230x63, 230x60, and 230x57.5.

I was curious: what's different inside these shocks that limits (or extends) the stroke? Looking at SRAM's spare parts manuals, the 230mm i2i shock uses the same air can for various stroke lengths, and there is no indication that any "hard part" changes either. Now, one thing I did notice is that in that spare parts manual it does give a different part number for "Damper Body/IFP" for various stroke lengths on the MONARCH, but the Deluxe is missing this.

However, the new Trek-specific through shaft (which utilizes a 230x57.5 stroke shock) has a diagram with an interesting bit added...some sort of washer/bushing thing between the bottom out bumper and the space where the volume spacers sit (and the damper body threads into).

Text Line Font Diagram Circle

Anyway, what clued me in to the fact these shocks (2017+ Deluxe/Super Deluxe) are stroke limited by "soft parts" are these pictures at the red round washer from NSMB.com:

Text Red Font Carmine Symbol

Product Brown Red Photograph Font

That red round thing is clearly NOT a volume spacer (although it might act like one).

One hard part that might be different are the washers on both ends of this bumper. Those washers sit on the lip of the shock body/damper threading, and stroke limited shocks (60mm and 57.5mm) must have washers on both sides of the bumper (as shown in the parts diagram above).

This pic shows two "stacked" washers in grey:
Product Photograph Lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics

This looks like just a single washer:

Here it looks like Trek was using a blue washer of some sort:
Finger Bicycle accessory Logo Machine Nail

Here you can see that an unlimited shock only has a single washer:

Product Technology Line Machine Font

...and this isn't a new thing either. Way back when, Push was using what amounted to a coil shock bump stop in the old Fox Vanilla!

Finger Nail Thumb Toy Bottle cap

So, my question is: what else is happening inside a stroke limited shock vs an unlimited shock? Different IFP pressure? Different tunes? Is there anything stopping me from inserting a larger stroke limiter (the round red thing) to make my shock a 230x55? Or 230x50?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I have an Anthem with a 165x42.5 and would love to squeeze all the travel I can out of it. I know they make and a 165x45 and it seems to me that the only difference would be a reducer somewhere and a different ifp stancion with gradient markers for 42.5. I plan to tear into it and do a full service in the next month and see what I can do to get it to 45.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Unless your frame is very liner (uncommon these days), some weird stuff can happen past the factory stroke. With only 7mm more stroke, my old reign developed a very strange pause at bottom out. It would extend past stock and pause there before rebounding. It felt like packing down, but times ten. The leverage ratio went insane that far in.

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm not so interested in exceeding the stock stroke as I am limiting the shock to match the front travel or achieve better tire clearance, so taking a 150mm frame and limiting it to 130mm or something.

As far as the Reign and other Mini-Link/VP/DW bikes, it wouldn't surprise me if things got wonky past the intended stock travel. I think some designs handle increases in travel better than others.

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres nothing to it; you simply pull out the stroke limit spacer/bumper if it has one. There are three stanchion bodies produced: 45, 55 and 65mm.

Howevee, pulling the stroke limiter could result in tire contact on bottom out or other bad things, so its a bit more risky than limiting the stroke. For example some frames run a 230x57 shock, pull the 8mm spacer on those shocks could gain you 20mm of travel or more...but that also will likely send your tire into your seat tube.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Considering my shock is trunnion mount RS deluxe with 185x52.5 it should have 2.5mm spacer with 55mm stroke stanchion body?, correct?

My bike, giant trance, has stock 185x52.5, but giant actually sels aftermafket shock for the same frame with 185x55, that should change rear wheel travel from 140mm to 147mm-ish.

great news, tnx :)

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump.

Still curious if anyone knows if there are differences between the 230x63 and 230x57.5 shocks outside of this red stroke bumper?

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Bump.

Still curious if anyone knows if there are differences between the 230x63 and 230x57.5 shocks outside of this red stroke bumper?
No differences, ifp depth and pressure are the same for all strokes, and damper tunes will be selected based on the leverage ratio of the frame. In theory the longer stroke shocks will usually have a softer tune but that isn't guaranteed

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...damper tunes will be selected based on the leverage ratio of the frame. In theory the longer stroke shocks will usually have a softer tune but that isn't guaranteed
Can you elaborate a little more on that?

Say, what the real world differences might if you take a 230x65mm shock tuned for a big travel bike, and then run it on a shorter travel bike at 230x57.5?

Since you seem to know a bit about the subject, can you think of how "stroke limiting" a 230x65 shock down to say...230x50 or 45...or 40 might impact performance or reliability of the shock?

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
They only intend them to be reduced by 5mm, if you reduced it more than that the volume of the air can won’t have reduced enough to give decent progression, even with volume reducers added. So the bike would blow through its travel and bottom out frequently even with high pressure in the air can. So 65 to 50mm wouldn’t be a good idea and I can’t think of a bike where that would fit anyway

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They only intend them to be reduced by 5mm...
Except there are plenty of 230x57.5 shocks floating around, which are 7.5mm reduction in stroke.

What you're getting at though is that you need to remove volume along with stroke. That might be why the stroke bumpers of the Super Deluxe are pretty big, they effectively reduce the volume of the air can as well.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "fit". Plenty of bikes run 230mm i2i shocks. Stroke limiting them from say...160mm travel down to 140mm wouldn't require any change in "fitment".

·
Rocks belong
5,371 Posts
Theres nothing to it; you simply pull out the stroke limit spacer/bumper if it has one. There are three stanchion bodies produced: 45, 55 and 65mm.
I wanna do the opposite, reduce a 210x55 to 210x50. Can't find anything on the RS parts manuals that show what you'd need to buy/source to make it happen.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I would think you would just need this 5mm spacer and an additional steel washer. My spacer was sandwiched between 2 washers but if yours didn't come with a travel spacer you may have only one washer.
I cut mine out of a Super Deluxe 230x60 to make it 65mm stroke and 170mm travel on a YT Capra 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep. You don't even really need the washers I don't think. I think you could cut a notch just wide enough to squeeze the spacers onto the shaft and you'd be golden.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2018 Deluxe
Shock stroke. Ifp insertion depth
57,5mm. 67,2mm
60mm. 69,3mm
62,5mm. 71,4mm
65mm. 73,5mm

I'm not an expert but It seems like you have to do something more than cut the blue-plastic washer...
I have the 2018 Deluxe rt 230x60 and i Will like to increase to 65mm but not sure how to do It well yet...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I would think you would just need this 5mm spacer and an additional steel washer. My spacer was sandwiched between 2 washers but if yours didn't come with a travel spacer you may have only one washer.
I cut mine out of a Super Deluxe 230x60 to make it 65mm stroke and 170mm travel on a YT Capra 29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did the two remaining washers rattle in the shock after removing this travel reducing spacer?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.