Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my 318 solo air (29er) on my karate monkey... currently setup at 80mm it looks like at that stage the PSI should be about 1psi per 1lb of weight...

so a mix of a question and such... that would have me up near 300psi... i'm wondering if thats safe?... anyone know the psi limits?... this alone is having me seriously think about going up to the 100mm setting (higher volume = lower pressure needed same concept as fatter tires)

anyone run 300psi and not have their fork die?... i just see any documentation of a max pressure and don't want to exceed it for obvious reasons... I asked in the suspension forum but guess there aren't many fat boys over that way haha

thanks guys
mark

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
your fork should come with a chart/table of proper inflation pressures, if it doesn't check the web site of the manufacturer, or just give them a call. the pressures don't increase 1:1 per pound of weight, at least not for my mc3 or my two marz forks.

300 sounds like a lot since that's what most shock pumps cap out at.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I am finding that about 175psi is working for me. My riding weight is about 225lbs and I can't imagine running 225psi in my Tora.

The best thing to do is set the fork with about 25% sag (20mm) and adjust your air pressure accordingly. You can also adjust the spring curve a bit by adding a little oil in the solo air cartridge.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks... comming from rigid i'm sure even WAY to stiff would be cushy for me... I just know what they're telling me on the chart :) i think i have the sag setup about right... we'll see if i get some bottoming out on the next ride... also need to play with the rebound and see where that works out for me at

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
to quote my friend from SRAM...PSI is for Newbs and lawyers.

Set the sag. Check the manual and follow the procedure for the correct sag...for us big dudes it is SOOOOO KEY to do this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I totally agree

The sag is what you need to be concerned with. The charts give you some ideas but there is no way a chart can know how your bike is setup.

For example, I changed my stem from a 110mm to a 90mm with a 5 degre rise and because it moved my center of gravity back, it takes about 40 psi less in my Zoke AM1 to keep the same sag, When you set your sag, make sure you are sitting on the bike in your normal riding position.

If you do find that you are getting way too much sag at near max air pressure you can add a little oil as mtnbiker72 mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys... i'll be playing with it out at the trail tues hopefuly

now about rebound... any tips on that other then the jump off a curb bit they talk about in the suspension forum?

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
donalson said:
thanks guys... i'll be playing with it out at the trail tues hopefuly

now about rebound... any tips on that other then the jump off a curb bit they talk about in the suspension forum?
Rebound is all personal preference...with my old Reba Airs I loved it all the way to fast....on my coil forks I like it a bit less. Try it at either end of the spectrum and work your way towards the middle. Rebound is really easy to dial in and with the Rock Shox air forks it's very noticeable when you play with it...unlike every one of my manitous LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.