Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at the jumps today and met my friend's friend. he was ridin an enduro with a messed up air shock.

he said some [email protected] let all the air out of it and he cant get it right by usein a shok pump. he cant even get his jacked dad to pull it from its completely bottomed state

wuts up with this? i haven't a single idea of how to fix air shoks

and btw, also met an 8yr old (im assumin) kid on the nicest bike out of all the kids at the jumps. he was ridin a heckler with 5th el air, psylo, mavic rims, etc. if u cant help out with my previous question, then share with us ur tales about little kids on nice bikes

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Chikity China said:
i was at the jumps today and met my friend's friend. he was ridin an enduro with a messed up air shock.

he said some [email protected] let all the air out of it and he cant get it right by usein a shok pump. he cant even get his jacked dad to pull it from its completely bottomed state

wuts up with this? i haven't a single idea of how to fix air shoks

and btw, also met an 8yr old (im assumin) kid on the nicest bike out of all the kids at the jumps. he was ridin a heckler with 5th el air, psylo, mavic rims, etc. if u cant help out with my previous question, then share with us ur tales about little kids on nice bikes
Been a while since I've had to deal with anything air shock related, but it sounds to me like your friend blew it in a way were the negative chamber still has air in it. Hopefully more knowledgeable folk chime in, but if you take the shock apart that should get things right, I'm not sure if you'll have to replace any seals or not.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanD said:
Been a while since I've had to deal with anything air shock related, but it sounds to me like your friend blew it in a way were the negative chamber still has air in it. Hopefully more knowledgeable folk chime in, but if you take the shock apart that should get things right, I'm not sure if you'll have to replace any seals or not.
thx for the reply, ill see wut any of us can do

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
"Stuck Down" FLOAT Shock
Under certain circumstances a FLOAT shock can become "stuck down". This is a rare condition but if it occurs, please follow the instructions below.
If your FLOAT shock has not returned to its original neutral length (eye to eye position),
DO NOT attempt to disassemble the outer air sleeve or any other part of the shock. Air has become trapped in the Air Negative chamber and can cause serious injury if the shock is disassembled. This condition is known as “stuck down”. If the shock is stuck down, return it immediately to FOX Racing Shox or an Authorized FOX Racing Shox Service Center for service. (see Service / Warranty for details)
Procedure to check for a stuck down shock:
1. Release air pressure from the shock.
2. Using a FOX Racing Shox high pressure pump, pressurize the shock to 250 psi.
3. If the shock does not extend it has become stuck down.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL APART, OPEN, DISASSEMBLE OR SERVICE A SHOCK THAT IS STUCK DOWN. SERIOUS INJURY CAN RESULT. Contact FOX Racing Shox or an Authorized FOX Racing Shox Service Center for assistance. :eek:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jp3d said:
"Stuck Down" FLOAT Shock
Under certain circumstances a FLOAT shock can become "stuck down". This is a rare condition but if it occurs, please follow the instructions below.
If your FLOAT shock has not returned to its original neutral length (eye to eye position),
DO NOT attempt to disassemble the outer air sleeve or any other part of the shock. Air has become trapped in the Air Negative chamber and can cause serious injury if the shock is disassembled. This condition is known as ?stuck down?. If the shock is stuck down, return it immediately to FOX Racing Shox or an Authorized FOX Racing Shox Service Center for service. (see Service / Warranty for details)
Procedure to check for a stuck down shock:
1. Release air pressure from the shock.
2. Using a FOX Racing Shox high pressure pump, pressurize the shock to 250 psi.
3. If the shock does not extend it has become stuck down.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL APART, OPEN, DISASSEMBLE OR SERVICE A SHOCK THAT IS STUCK DOWN. SERIOUS INJURY CAN RESULT. Contact FOX Racing Shox or an Authorized FOX Racing Shox Service Center for assistance. :eek:
thx for the info, ill see if i can get it to him before he does sumthin stupid

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zedro said:
noobs never read the manual....lol
he bought used, dont think it came with a manual.....noobs always call others noobs cuz they wanna seem like theyre better :p

omg wut have i done, i take that back :D

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
zedro said:
noobs never check the manufacturers website for such information....

...what, you think i was born with a bunch of bike knowledge?;)
...well not exactly...more like programmed....

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zedro said:
noobs never check the manufacturers website for such information....

...what, you think i was born with a bunch of bike knowledge?;)
so u just surf around all day and look at everysingle manual a bike site has to offer? :eek: :confused: :eek:

even my computer has more of a life than that, it likes playin with me by poppin up with viruses and every once in a while and makin strange noises ;)

wutever, ill never beat u, u know too much :D :p ;)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Chikity China said:
so u just surf around all day and look at everysingle manual a bike site has to offer? :eek: :confused: :eek:
no, this is how it works:

a noob gets on the forum and starts crying that productX isnt working or doesnt know how to install it and is all in a panic. Upon reading, i may not know the answer but may be curious to find out, so 0.53 seconds later i look at the manufacturers site to find said info right there. I come back and relay the info that was easily accessable in the first place, solve the problem, and look like a hero. Unfortunatly doing helpless peoples footwork for them over and over again gets tiring after awhile so then cynisim and crankyness sets in, making me believe the world is full of lazy or incompetent bastards who are just bleeding the knowledgable or self-sufficient helpful types dry...i mean Google made people lazy enough in researching things, now people are even too lazy to use that! Like what, no ones ever had to research anything on their own, they just got that kid in school who puts some effort in his life to do everything for them? I mean what the hell is wrong with people? *&**(*^ bastards!!!!

and thats how forums work.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zedro said:
no, this is how it works:

a noob gets on the forum and starts crying that productX isnt working or doesnt know how to install it and is all in a panic. Upon reading, i may not know the answer but may be curious to find out, so 0.53 seconds later i look at the manufacturers site to find said info right there. I come back and relay the info that was easily accessable in the first place, solve the problem, and look like a hero. Unfortunatly doing helpless peoples footwork for them over and over again gets tiring after awhile so then cynisim and crankyness sets in, making me believe the world is full of lazy or incompetent bastards who are just bleeding the knowledgable or self-sufficient helpful types dry...i mean Google made people lazy enough in researching things, now people are even too lazy to use that! Like what, no ones ever had to research anything on their own, they just got that kid in school who puts some effort in his life to do everything for them? I mean what the hell is wrong with people? *&**(*^ bastards!!!!

and thats how forums work.
yes, this is y we have forums so suk it up ;)

im just tryin to help someone out, sheesh, makin all these posts takes more effort than solvin the problem on my own.

and besides, advice from people who know a lot is more helpful than the crappy ass manuals cuz all they tell u is to send it back to the manufacturer for every issue. so if someone knows how to fix it without sendin to the manufacturer, that would be great. i believe jp3d thought takin it apart would work or doin so and so would fix it and i, he, or a mechanic could do that and get him back ridin a lot sooner than if he were to send it back manufacturer

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Chikity China said:
im just tryin to help someone out, sheesh, makin all these posts takes more effort than solvin the problem on my own.

and besides, advice from people who know a lot is more helpful than the crappy ass manuals cuz all they tell u is to send it back to the manufacturer for every issue.
its always better to research first, then ask educated questions. Because sometimes those giving the answer will be talking in a perspective that you wont understand, because you havent learned the basics (ie. do your homework).

people dont get mad because people are unknowledgable, usually its because its obvious they've put in zero effort themselves. I've gained most knowledge from researching the answers for people; i may have been no more knowledgable about the subject as the person asking the question, but the difference is being more ressourceful. Of course, the more knowledgable you are, the more ressourcefull you can be, but some people are just too lazy to even do the obvious and want easy answers spoon fed to them. You'll find this isnt acceptable in real life either.

i'm not saying this applies to this particular thread (cus i'm just busting your balls for fun :D), just in general

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
Chikity China said:
yes, this is y we have forums so suk it up ;)

and besides, advice from people who know a lot is more helpful than the crappy ass manuals cuz all they tell u is to send it back to the manufacturer for every issue. so if someone knows how to fix it without sendin to the manufacturer, that would be great. i believe jp3d thought takin it apart would work or doin so and so would fix it and i, he, or a mechanic could do that and get him back ridin a lot sooner than if he were to send it back manufacturer
actaully Fox has videos on their website showing you how to take apart and service the airsleve part of their air shocks, so they abviously aren't making you send it back to them for every little thing. According to the manual it is a very bad idea to try to take part a shock that is stuck down - they are trying to keep you from killing yourself with a high velocity airsleve and or shock body :rolleyes: You chould probably take the thing apart safely if you unscrewed the airsleve whith the shock still on the frame, but you still might not be able to fix it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jp3d said:
actaully Fox has videos on their website showing you how to take apart and service the airsleve part of their air shocks, so they abviously aren't making you send it back to them for every little thing. According to the manual it is a very bad idea to try to take part a shock that is stuck down - they are trying to keep you from killing yourself with a high velocity airsleve and or shock body :rolleyes: You chould probably take the thing apart safely if you unscrewed the airsleve whith the shock still on the frame, but you still might not be able to fix it.
geez, i am a lazy bum

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
zedro said:
its always better to research first, then ask educated questions. Because sometimes those giving the answer will be talking in a perspective that you wont understand, because you havent learned the basics (ie. do your homework).

people dont get mad because people are unknowledgable, usually its because its obvious they've put in zero effort themselves. I've gained most knowledge from researching the answers for people; i may have been no more knowledgable about the subject as the person asking the question, but the difference is being more ressourceful. Of course, the more knowledgable you are, the more ressourcefull you can be, but some people are just too lazy to even do the obvious and want easy answers spoon fed to them. You'll find this isnt acceptable in real life either.

i'm not saying this applies to this particular thread (cus i'm just busting your balls for fun :D), just in general
............:(....................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.