Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big guy looking to upgrade from my current 4" xc-oriented Kona to a SC Nomad. Trouble is, I have learned that the Fox DHX-Air won't work for my weight (about 275). I know a lot of people will tell me to just get a coil shock. I'm not sure I want that weight. My current bike has held up pretty well for my size, and I don't plan to DH, shuttle, or FR this new bike. I just want something that can handle all the stuff that is marginal on my current ride. Like 4-5' drops, steeper rocky downhills, and some jumps here and there. Keep in mind that the bike I've been riding has been fine for me with both a Fox Float RLC and a Stratos air shock on board. The Nomad is so much more burly, which is cool, but I don't want to go as far as a coil shock.

So I'd love some recommendations for air shocks other than the DHX-Air which are working for other big guys on similar bikes.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I've just ordered a Manitou Evolver ISX-6 for my Intense 5point5. I know that Intense have speced. it on their 6.6 frames for 2007, which are similar to the Nomad in travel and purpose. Up until now I've had a Manitou Swinger 4-Way (since February 2004) and its been bomb proof. I'm not as much as you but at 220lbs., I'm no light weight.

Ronnie.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
This new Manitou Evolver ISX-6 "might" be the real deal on a big hit air shock. I've ordered one too for my Nomad. It has no platform and has low and high speed external compression adjustment. This has normally been reserved for big hit coil shocks. I'm looking forward to trying it out...hopefully by the end of the week.

That said, you're a big guy for any shock, and to be honest I'd feel better about a coil shock in your case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.