Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bullit Riders,

I have seen the pics of TNC's bullit with the Swinger 4 way, but I am having a really hard time finding a used 4 way air 8.5 i2i. If anyone has a used 4 way air, let me know if you want to sell.

Has anyone tried a Fox DHX air on a bullit, what do you think about it?

Or would a 3 way air, or RP23 work on a bullit?

Give me some feedback so I can put my bullit on a spring diet. My goal is 35lbs....

Justin Hlavin

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Not just 4-Way Air.

Been gone a few days and just now noticed your post. My '99 Bullit is the one with the 4-Way Air, but my '03 Bullit does have a DHX Air. While I didn't like the DHXA on my Nomad, the lower spring requirements on the Bullit actually allowed the DHXA to work pretty decently. I still don't think the DHXA will be that good if you do bigger drops or jumps, but it is working well as an aggressive trail shock on the Bullit. The Bullit pictured here weighs right at 33lbs. even with a Van 36 fork

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
??? for TNC

Hey TNC,

I saw you have a setback seatpost.... and I take it that is a size medium Bullit. How tall and you and how do you like the further back position of that seatpost? I am 5' 10" and I wonder if I should have gotten a large cause I feel cramped in the cockpit, especially now that my bike is morphining to an all mountain bike more then freeride/DH...

Thanks for your advice...

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
JCH, it's a large Bullit. I'm 6 feet tall...longer torso biased. I use a 90mm stem. The Thomson seatpost there is only set back something like 16 or 19 mm.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
JCHKeys said:
Hey TNC,

I saw you have a setback seatpost.... and I take it that is a size medium Bullit. How tall and you and how do you like the further back position of that seatpost? I am 5' 10" and I wonder if I should have gotten a large cause I feel cramped in the cockpit, especially now that my bike is morphining to an all mountain bike more then freeride/DH...

Thanks for your advice...
Not TNC but I can relate. I'm 5' 10" and I rode a med Bullit for a yr or two myself. Like you I always felt cramped in my cockpit. It "over-leveraged" the bike because I had to stay so far back on the seat. I had the seatrails scooted bk as far as the post clamp would let it w/o bending/snapping the rails. It was great in the air, but it felt wallowy in the rear during landings after I started going bigger. I ended up having to get a spring about 150 lbs over what was rated for my weight. I like to run short stems which makes in even more cramped, so I rotated the bars forward a lil'bit and it helped some. I always wondered if a large Bullit would have suited me better too, so I did the logical thing, I bought a med VP Free :D & it fits me great. It has a lil longer effective tt than th' Bullit.

Hope the set-back post helps you Holmes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my wife has a swinger 3-way on her small bullit and it works fine. It's a pretty large volume shock and with the rising rate bullit suspension she gets full travel.

I'm 6'2" and ride a large bullit. It felt cramped when I bought it but the guy who sold it to me raced downhill for years and he wouldn't let me get the xl.....he said I'd like the bike on the tight side, as he called, since I was using it for Chairlift riding at Northstar in Tahoe. He was right....I've taking it trail riding too with the seat jacked up and 100mm stem and it was ok butt not ideal.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weight Loss on hold

All,

My Bullit weight loss program is on hold because I bought a new all terrain pop up camper yesterday, check it out...
http://www.fleetwoodcampingtrailers.com/model.aspx?mid=9&sid=3

As I have posted on other threads, if anyone has a large bullit frame and wants a medium, I will trade out with them. Or if you have a large bullit frame you want to part with, let me know. TNC, yours is just too perfect, I would not be worthy enough to ride that.

The size thing keeps perplexing me, I wish there was someone around where I live, Suffolk, VA, that had a large to test ride....

JCH

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fox Van 36 with QR 20mm

Has anyone seen the latest MBA? Its got a picture of the FOX 36 with a quick release 20mm axel. I have to get that fork with a set of Easton Havoc wheels for my bullit. I love the QR hex axel on my Nixon, it would have to make that VAN into the most versitile fork out right now.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
You don't need an air shock

for a sub 35lb Bullit. I've got a 5th Elly with a fresh service from Progressive on it in the classifieds. The last time I rode an air shock I was pushing my bike back to the trail heads-that's never happened with a coil:thumbsup: I'd definately rethink the air thing if your over 160 and or want to ride your Bullit like it was built to ride;) Mine is 32.5 lbs with the dirt on it

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put the Manitou Evolver ISX 4 rear shock on it last night. It looks sweet, black shock with a black bike. It weighs over a pound less than the 5th El that it replaced.

Ride around my street was nice, it needs to be broken in alittle since it would stick. You can hear it breath, but I don't think this will be a problem.

I will have pictures up soon. Now I just need to shed that heavy sherman slider front fork for a nice Fox Float 36 or a Totem Solo air...

JCH

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
JCH, I think you're hearing an aspect of the SPV operating in there. That shock should be a very good match to your Bullit. Apparently you got the spacer issue all ironed out? How did the measurements turn out?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The spacer was a 42mm, it slid in perfectly. When I brought the old 5th ele over, it actually had a gap and rattled slighly compared to the 42mm one. I will try to get a picture up soon, but more importantly I need to go ride is soon.

Now I need to set my sights on a Totem Solo Air.....

JCH

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Evolver on Bullit, in the air

Hey,

Here is a picture of my Bullit with the new Evolver shock at Legend Park in Clayton, NC. The thing handled everything I could throw at it, this was a 40 inch drop to flat. It was able to take some 6+ foot drops to transition as well as the older coil I had on it. Enjoy the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
ARRH! So refreshing to see someone as big as me! Big guys can ride too, we just land a lil harder!
Any way im losing weight and my Bigger mates reckon ive turned Skinny, Haha and i love it.
Back to the subject

·
Au'Right!
395 Posts
I have a DHX Air 2008 on my Bullit and after riding a 2007 there's definatly a difference for the better on the 08.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts