Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow clydes:

Any suggestions on Air pressure in UST tires. I have Panaracer Fire XC pro's UST 2.1. I weigh 205 (210+ with gear) and ride a Cannodale Prophet 600. I used to run about 50 psi in my tubed tires....but I think this is way to much....I have been experimenting with different pressures in front and rear....but can't find the right match.....I usually run about 5 lbs psi lower in front....

Thanks...

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I can't comment on front pressure since I still run tubed front for better tire selection. In the rear I run about 40-45psi in my scorpion 2.2. In my specialized 2.4 I run about 35-40. I weigh in at 230+/-. No problems with either tire.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Too many variables...

jagayers said:
Fellow clydes:

Any suggestions on Air pressure in UST tires. I have Panaracer Fire XC pro's UST 2.1. I weigh 205 (210+ with gear) and ride a Cannodale Prophet 600. I used to run about 50 psi in my tubed tires....but I think this is way to much....I have been experimenting with different pressures in front and rear....but can't find the right match.....I usually run about 5 lbs psi lower in front....

Thanks...
What is your riding style. What are your trails like (rocky, smooth, etc).

50 psi seems like way to much for me. Then again, I haven't run anything smaller than a 2.3 in several years, so I may be out of touch.

I run 2.4's on both my bikes. One tubed and one tubeless. I run both sets around 32-35 psi, same pressure front and rear. I've never understood the reasoning for running lower pressure in front. If a rider isn't pinch flatting in front, they shouldn't pinch in the rear. Especially on a FS bike. If there's a traction advantage to running a lower pressure in front, why not realize that same advantage in the rear..... anyhoo....

My advice: Start at 40 psi and give it a ride. Bring a mini pump with you and plan on stopping to make pressure adjustments until you find the right psi for you, your riding style and the terrian on which you ride.

My 2¢.

Ken

·
Registered
107 Posts
higher presures for ust

when I got my new bike last fall I had some lost of air presure issues when running low(35psi)( i got flats on hard cornering) so now I run them up near the max (55psi) and have not had any loss of air presure while riding.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Question...

fredrick flintstone said:
when I got my new bike last fall I had some lost of air presure issues when running low(35psi)( i got flats on hard cornering) so now I run them up near the max (55psi) and have not had any loss of air presure while riding.
You shouldn't have to run them that high. One of the proported advantages of tubeless is that you can run lower pressures. I don't happen to agree but at the same time, you should be able to run them lower than their max.

Not trying to offend, but a critical step in installing tubeless is seating the bead by inflating the tire to 60 psi for a peroid of time and then reducing the psi. If you didn't do this step, it may explain why you were losing air in the corners.

What size tire are you running? I run a 2.4 tubeless at 32-35 psi and don't lose pressure. I haven't ridden my bike since last November and I still have air in my tires.

Ken

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
Ken in KC said:
That's what I was thinking too.

Ken
Ahhhh flat tire issues for clydes. One of my favorite topics. With 2.1s I would never stray below 40 pounds being over 215 - I've had consistent success at 42 lbs. I just upgraded bikes ('05 Enduro -- love it!) and this one has 2.3s on it --- can't believe I ever messed around w/ 2.1s considering my clyde-ness. I ride in one of the most tire unfriendly environments on the planet, Phoenix, where there isn't even dirt here, just sharp rocks, and 2.3s make all the difference. Of course I ride them at 45 pounds and they're not UST -- nevertheless, I don't mind sacrificing a little performance to drastically reduce my pinch flat potential. The 150# guys in the group will throw me out of the club if I make them stop for another tire fix.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sizes and presures

Ken in KC said:
You shouldn't have to run them that high. One of the proported advantages of tubeless is that you can run lower pressures. I don't happen to agree but at the same time, you should be able to run them lower than their max.

Not trying to offend, but a critical step in installing tubeless is seating the bead by inflating the tire to 60 psi for a peroid of time and then reducing the psi. If you didn't do this step, it may explain why you were losing air in the corners.

What size tire are you running? I run a 2.4 tubeless at 32-35 psi and don't lose pressure. I haven't ridden my bike since last November and I still have air in my tires.

Ken
I have 2.2 kenda's on the bike, after seating the beads, pressures were lowered and I had flats. at 55psi I have no problems, since I only get to ride once a week I will live with stiff tires to have no flats. btw I am about 270# in gear. 55 psi seems to work for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I 'm rollin on the same shoes

I've used the same Panaracer on my Epic Marathon for most of the winter. I weigh in at about 220. I find 40-42 pounds works great. Never flatted. On drier harder summertime trails I roll on Kenda Karisma's (sp). I dont mind slammin into things hard. Actually busted both titanium seat rails on my saddle when I bottomed into a g-out, and my legs were too tired to support my big (__!__) !!! Still no tire problems. I've heard and seen riders of all weights loosing air or flatting when slamming into high speed bermed turns when running lower pressures. Thats why I dont go any lower.

After a few monthes of runnig a Specialized Roll-X 2Bliss on the front it annoyed me that I'd have to pump up the fornt tire after 4-6 hours of riding. Or not riding the bike for a week or so. I took the tire off. Washed it and the rim with soapy water remounted it and havn't had a problem since. I guess it got dirty between the tire and wheel and was leaking slowly.

Whos Your (Middle Mountain) Momma? This weekend .......see ya there!

jagayers said:
Fellow clydes:

Thanks...

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
For what it's worth...

fredrick flintstone said:
I have 2.2 kenda's on the bike, after seating the beads, pressures were lowered and I had flats. at 55psi I have no problems, since I only get to ride once a week I will live with stiff tires to have no flats. btw I am about 270# in gear. 55 psi seems to work for me.
I bet you a 6-pack of your favorite beer and a bakers dozen of fresh Krispy Cremes that if you went up to a beefy 2.4, you would never ride anything smaller again.

Without question, large volume tires are the right tire for us big boys.

Ken

·
Registered
107 Posts
too little tire clearance

Ken in KC said:
I bet you a 6-pack of your favorite beer and a bakers dozen of fresh Krispy Cremes that if you went up to a beefy 2.4, you would never ride anything smaller again.

Without question, large volume tires are the right tire for us big boys.

Ken
I only have about 3mm of clearance on the rear of my racer x. if a 2.4 was any taller than a 2.2 it would rub, as it is I pick up way too many leaves in the fall. btw I only drink the hard stuff, and have never had a krispy cream, there a new thing here in michigan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.