Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really a beginner but having trouble with the fork. When I disengage the pump, I lose air pressure as the pump unthreads. What's the trick?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Well you're obviously a beginner when it comes to air forks.
If you're using a fork/shock pump (which you should be), the air that escapes when you remove the pump is not coming from the fork, it's the air in the pump hose itself.
Well at least that's how it works with 26er forks, you may have to post on the 29er forum to see how it works with those :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
What pump are you using? Sounds like your doing it wrong. On my pump there are 2 knobs in 1. You screw the pump on then you screw the knob on top of that which lets the air in. When your done you unscrew the top knob, which lets the air out of the pump its self then you unscrew it from the fork.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, really, I'm not.

I've got a cane creek pump--it is a shock pump. There is no second knob on this one. There is a pressure release button but it lets all the air out. I'm familiar with air in the tube--that's how a floor pump works!!! I swear, I take the fitting off and then reconnect to check the pressure and it's quite a bit lower than I want it to be. Maybe the pump is not that good.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
This what you got?

Simple looking pump, and looks like what you described. You might want to just look into a different style pump if this one is not working out for you.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
gthcarolina said:
I'm familiar with air in the tube--that's how a floor pump works!!! I swear, I take the fitting off and then reconnect to check the pressure and it's quite a bit lower than I want it to be. Maybe the pump is not that good.
Ok, we'll take this slow.
You claim to understand the concept of air coming out of the tube/hose when you disconnect the pump. That it's because you have pressure in the pump and hose itself when you disconnect it. So this is the air you hear being released when you disconnect the pump.

NOW, when you reconnect it to your fork you hear a noise don't you? What do you think that is? And what affect do you think that will have on the pressure in your fork. Keep in mind that the total air volume in a fork/shock is very small.

I think you're gonna figure this one out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I got

Dremer03 said:
This what you got?

Simple looking pump, and looks like what you described. You might want to just look into a different style pump if this one is not working out for you.
Thanks for YOUR help. I'll leave now and play with my blocks since the rest of you are too smart for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.