Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the rear shock on my Haro Shift, I already replaced the fork with 351 Recon coil and I am happy with it. My rear shock is stock (Xfusion Coil) and is very rigid, no matter how I adjust the rebound I just cant get it right. I want a smooth shock but have no clue the difference between air and coil. What can I expect to notice between the two?
I also dont want to spend a fortune on one if I can get away with it, if I could find one for around $150 (if that's possible) I would be happy.
Thanks for any info and advise!

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Have you thought about getting a different weight coil for your Xfusion? Generally if a coil shock is too firm or not giving you enough sag then it's a matter of changing out the spring, it should make a big difference. As an example I've got a Fox Vanilla RC coil shock and replaced the 450lb spring for a 350lb one, it's much softer "plusher" now! The weight of coil / spring that you should get depends on your weight, the shock brand and bike type. Check out this calculator...

http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html

Air shocks are great too because you can adjust the air pressure to suit your weight and liking. Some say they're not as plush as coil shocks. For a cheapish one you would probably look at a Fox Float or maybe a Fox RP3 (assuming you're mainly riding XC / AM) if you can afford it.

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
You can pick up a new Rockshox Monarch air on ebay now with an air pump for under $250. With lockout, motion control, flood gate...great deal. The advantage of air over coil is adjustability. You can adjust the air shock to super stiff to super plush right on the trail as conditions change if you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.