Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will air just make it harder to bottom, and not ride as plush as coil?
Or will an air shock feel plush on a falling rate rear suspension bike?
I currently ride coil and feels very plush, but would like to upgrade to a new generation antibob shock(bike bobs a lot) Now I need to decide whether to continue with coil or change to air since my bike is very falling rate.

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Air usually works well on falling rate.

Pedro said:
I currently ride coil and feels very plush, but would like to upgrade to a new generation antibob shock(bike bobs a lot) Now I need to decide whether to continue with coil or change to air since my bike is very falling rate.
Since the air medium "ramps up" quite progressively, it often makes for a good choice on a falling rate suspension. There are more and more very good air shocks becoming available that have stable platform tuning. I've been running a Manitou 4-way air on a Bullit that has worked very well. A stable platform shock may have a little beneficial effect on a falling rate suspension, but that platform is mainly affecting beginning compression. The falling rate on bikes that have that characteristic usually occurs toward the end of the travel--hence the name "falling rate". The remote, adjustable air chamber on a coil or air spring stable platform shock will have some effect on bottom-out by adjusting the chamber size nut on the piggyback. I'm not sure if you can attain this on the non-piggyback models, like for example, a Manitou 3-way air. However, an air shock will help a falling rate suspension regardless of whether it's stable platform or not. Probably the best bet for your application may be a stable platform air shock like the one in the pic. What bike do you have?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Pedro said:
Airtypically workswill with falling rate linkage, but it still won't be as plush as a coil shock.

Air shocks have come a long way. You may actually prefer the air to the coil, but the coil will most likely be more plush.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input
the bike is a K2 evo with a pivot position similar to the bullit.
Another attraction of the air shock is their rigidity. The evo has a carbon swingarm, not as stiff as the bullit, and can be felt as it flexes. An air shock would make the rear end stiffer. The evo is very confortable, and climbs fine, but unless I turn much the damping knob of my vanilla R, it bobs a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts