Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from people who have ridden both if the niner gives you more compliance over trail junk than a Superfly. Also how about the weight of each? It seems that a Superfly comes in around 23-24 lbs. how about the niner with a comparable build?
I will get one of these so I would like the pro's and con's of each.
Superdave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, weight seems to be close,My biggest concern is the compliance of the scandium vs. carbon frames. I generally don't abuse my bikes except by accident so the frame warranty is not that big a deal but lifetime is appealing.
Superdave

·
Registered
997 Posts
the SF frame is about 1/2 lbs. lighter, stiffer and the front is a little lower thanks to the integrated headset. i went with the SF because of the additional stiffness and i also like the G2 geometry. however, you pay a premium price.

a con for me was that a carbon frame has to be taken care of more (chainsuck or bike carriers).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Both great bikes- I own and race an Air9 while my brother rides and races his superfly, so we have swapped and compared quite a bit. The superfly is far stiffer than the Niner. The fly, with the G2 geometry, steers slower in low-speed, technical stuff but leans and rips very intuitively at speed. I prefer the more upright feel of the Niner, while he likes the Fly. My medium Air9 built for racing comes in at 22.5 lbs. while his medium fly is right at 22 even.
Depends on what you're looking for, and what price, but can't go wrong with either bike.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I dont know, i guess I there is something wrong with me, but after riding both the air 9 that my buddy races and a superfly that I demo'ed at the shop, i went for the superfly. I have pretty bad knees and I felt that the Fly was a much smoother ride, very quiet, and i felt that the carbon did a better job of absorbing the vibrations than the Air 9 did. The Superflyframe is very solid and stiff, and holds lines, but rides very nice......does that make any sense?!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Actual weight comparison

Both are great bikes in my experience.
I just weighed my new large Superfly frame stripped down and it is 1250 grams. I have had 2
large Air 9 frames. One was a Raw that weighed 1503 grams and one was a Kermit Green that weighed 1536. With the same build, the Superfly would be 8-9 ounces lighter.
I am going with a Superfly this season for a change. The Niners have always treated me well, but I am a fan of the G2 geometry. I'm sure I will own another Niner at some point, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.