Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great season on this hardtail. Changes during the year include the following:
From FSA K Force XC Chainset (11/32/44T) to Middleburn 1x9 (32T)
Added Paul Components Chain Keeper
From SRAM X9 rear derailleur to SRAM X0 Red rear derailleur
From Kenda small block 8 rear tire to Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear tire (small block not enough traction for Fall riding)
From Crank Brothers Candy SL to Eggbeater SL
Added KCNC silver jockey wheels and bar end caps
From Hope black center brake discs to Hope red center brake discs
Some of the discarded parts from Air Nine will go into this winters 29er FS project, SC TB.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul Components Chain Keeper Installation Issue

This is an email that I sent Paul at Paul Components:

Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Chain Keeper Configuration

Hello,
I purchased a chain keeper and installed it on my Niner Air Nine bike. I have a Middleburn R8 with a 32T chain ring. Due to the configuration of the seat tube and down tube geometry I was unable to place the keeper "clamp" in front of the seat tube, the keeper chute would not install low enough to correctly envelop the chain. I was able to install the keeper clamp to the rear of the seat tube but this placed the keeper too far to the rear of the bike and the swing angle of the chain causes the chain to contact the exit chute of the keeper. Do you have a keeper clamp that is mirrored so that the "clamp" faces downward when placed in front of the seat tube?

This is the response I got back from Paul Components

We are going to do a "high mount" version and a bottom bracket mount version early next year. Have a good ride,

Paul

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey pughww,

I have a modified clamp for you that may just work. funny story actually. i bought a Paul's chainkeeper and tried to fit it onto my Gary Fisher Rig singlespeed to 1x9 conversion. didn't want to go - the bottom bracket weld got in the way of it aligning properly with the front chainring. so i busted out the file and did some minor surgery to make it all fit. only once i got it set up did i realize that it would have been much easier to have simply rotated the eccentric BB up into a better position. actually not such a funny story :sad:

send me your address and i will drop it in the mail for you. it isn't being used now. i will order myself another one when i next need to use the chainkeeper.

anyways, second phase, got a set of XT cranks and the MRP chainguide too. that setup is way better with the bottom bracket mount IMHO.

Attachments

·
Spear & Magic Helmet
305 Posts
Very Nice! I like that you stuck with the raw aluminum for the parts as well. Just polish those rims and it is done! How do you like the MIddleburn? Is that the dual or triple spider? What spindle length on your BB? How close does the chainring come to the drive side chainstay? Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts