Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a bike on EP from Specialized here in the next few days for my urban/DJ needs, since I sold my old one to a buddy. Depending on how the pricing works out, I'll be riding one of these three bikes:

2007 P.3
2007 P.2 Cro-Mo
2007 P.1

I will probably be able to get the P.3 for around the same price as the P.2, and it has a much better part spec, but I really want the cro-mo frame. The P.2 cro-mo that we already have in stock rides great...except for the fork. The DJ 2.5 is heavy and tops out when you get it in the air, which makes it have a loose-headset feeling. Not cool. Since I really would rather have the P.1 anyway, I'm probably going to go that direction (any opinions on which bike?)

I have already decided that when I get the bike (unless its the P.3 of course) I am going to loose the fork and headset. I would like an Argyle or a Gold Label, or even a Pike, but would rather not change the front wheel to a 20mm axle, in interest of cost....

....So basically my question is would there be any serious issues running a lightweight, air-sprung XC fork, setup nice and stiff, for riding urban and DJ? Specifically I'm looking at either the RockShox Reba, or preferably the Fox F100. I know I'll be able to set the forks up to ride well, and the Fox is more than stiff enough, I am just worried about blowing out the seals. I have seen people ride Fox air forks on this type of bike, so I think it would be possible. I am 155 pounds, and ride fairly smooth...most of the time at least :D .

Any opinons/advise? Thanks for reading.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I have seen people riding both. Though they were not designed with this type of riding in mind, they perform quite well. However, you likely will not receive any warranty in the event that it does fail.

If it were me, I'd spend the extra $$$ for the 20mm thru-axle.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I have seen people riding both. Though they were not designed with this type of riding in mind, they perform quite well. However, you likely will not receive any warranty in the event that it does fail.

If it were me, I'd spend the extra $$$ for the 20mm thru-axle.
I'd like to build a custom 20mm front wheel eventually. I've had a hard time finding a good deal on just a front. I was thinking about going with an Azonic Outlaw full wheelset...I'll figure that all out when the time comes, I suppose.

Any horror stories using lightweight air-sprung forks?

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
My buddy rides his fuel at rays with the reba on it. No problems so far. As for how it performs imnot sure but it hasnt broke yet. Oh When its warm out me and him hit every jump and drop we can find (in flat michigan) and it seems to take the abuse well.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
it couldn't be any worse than an RST Gila, which my friend has pounded pretty hard and is still holding up. Of course, my friend doesn't go very big, but considering he's had his bike with it forever, the hits would tend to build up on it I guess.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
The fork on the p.3 is an air fork.

They're fine......plenty of people are running fox floats, pike airs and rebas.

I think air springs are actually better for dirtjumping because they tend to be more progressive and you can fine tune your "spring" weight beyond what you can achieve with a coil sometimes.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
kidwoo said:

I think air springs are actually better for dirtjumping because they tend to be more progressive and you can fine tune your "spring" weight beyond what you can achieve with a coil sometimes.
The Pikes, Rebas, and Floats have a fairly linear air spring though. It is nice to be able to fine tune it though.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
snaky69 said:
If a Pike had more bottom out control, it would be a dirt jumper's dream fork. Although a Nemesis Tuned Z1 is something I wouldn't mind having at all.
Very true. Tuning it, slightly more viscuous fluid, and a firm spring have definitely improved the ramp up towards the end. I don't bottom often, but I do use up all the travel pretty frequently.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kidwoo said:

I haven't tried that fork yet...DJ 2 Urban SL or something right? I have been fiddling with the DJ 2.5 on the P.2 cro-mo for two days now and can't get any satisfactory feel out of it. Older Dirt Jumpers I have ridden felt lmuch better.. Plus, the front end feels like they are hiding some packets of mercury up there. Losing mass is about as important as performance to me.

I agree with the comment about air forks being better for DJing. Running any spring rate you want based on what you will be doing that day...good setup. It doesn't sound like blowing seals is a serious issue either, which is more good news.

Any A2C length issues possibly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.