Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Manitou machete fork on my stache 5. Last year I ran 105psi in the fork and was at about 26mm of sag and that's just over 20% of the travel. I just went out on a ride and was bottoming out quite a bit so I checked the pressure and it's at the same 105 but my sag is almost 35mm.

Can I just hammer more air into it or do these things have a limit? The manual only has a rider at 200lbs at 95 psi. Should i put in more air or have someone check the fork. I did eat **** pretty bad last year but after having the bike checked the shop gave it the ok. I didn't get a chance to really get at it as I was having some pain from the crash so I don't know if it was like this post crash.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
How much do you weigh?

If the pressure you're using exceeds recommended pressure, something is almost always wrong. The recommended pressures tend to be crazy high, so going even higher generally means something is wrong. Especially if your sag is wandering, sounds like you've got some air leaking inside.

*most* LBS's arent equipped to diagnose or repair a fork. I would either take it apart yourself, or send it to a qualified suspension place. It sounds like your negative chamber is doing something strange.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much do you weigh?

If the pressure you're using exceeds recommended pressure, something is almost always wrong. The recommended pressures tend to be crazy high, so going even higher generally means something is wrong. Especially if your sag is wandering, sounds like you've got some air leaking inside.

*most* LBS's arent equipped to diagnose or repair a fork. I would either take it apart yourself, or send it to a qualified suspension place. It sounds like your negative chamber is doing something strange.
Im 275 as of last week. The manufacturer only lists pressures up to a rider of 200. I kinda get being a fat ass is going to break stuff and that's cool. I can probably tear it down myself. Do you just buy rebuild kits?

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Yeah, they sell them as complete seal kits, usually about 30 bucks.

Im a huge manitou fan for how easy they are to service yourself, at home, without anything too crazy. Very accessible suspension. Id give it a shot! I bet you'll find a rolled/torn seal.

If 200lb = 95psi, 275lb = 130psi. Im concerned that your sag point is changing. Manitou lists 110psi as the max pressure for that fork with TS air, 110psi could work for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TS air? Yeah I remember when we first set up the bike the trek guys didn't want to go much further than 105 unless i had to.

Maybe I am setting the sag incorrectly. I basically stand up on the pedals lean forward just a bit without standing on the handlebar bounce a few times and let it settle then move a zip tie down and stand off the bike.

Before i call it, is my method flawed?

I've got a trip in the next few weeks and we are going to be out for 5 days wheeling and stuff. I'd like to be sure this thing isn't going to go to hell on the trip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im in the camp that believes that setting sag doesnt work.

https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/technical-support/suspension-setup

Natural frequency means it compresses and bounces back at a similar and even rate, which feels natural. Not fast down, slow up (low pressure), or slow down fast up (high pressure). Just even and smooth.

Otherwise, no one agrees how to actually set sag.
So basically i went through what it said there. Double checked the pressure with a high pressure gauge and added until it said 105 and messed with the adjustment at the bottom.

It feels much better now. I'll come back in a week or so and update if it goes to hell again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.