Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations on a decent air compressor that I'd be using primarily for tubeless maintenance?

·
Registered
689 Posts
If it will only be for tires and not paint or tools, low hp is alright. Tank size is more important. I would stay in the 20-30 gallon size with a good ball-valve shut off. Harbor Frieght sells a few decent bang-for-buck models depending on the price range.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
If it will only be for tires and not paint or tools, low hp is alright. Tank size is more important. I would stay in the 20-30 gallon size with a good ball-valve shut off. Harbor Frieght sells a few decent bang-for-buck models depending on the price range.
Size does matter. But holy crap, a 20-30 gallon just for tires?

I paid around $75 for a consumer-quality compressor/tank combo at Home Despot. I think it's a 1-gallon. It's awesome for mounting tubeless bike tires, fine for my truck tires. I've even blown out my sprinkler system with it the last couple years (that takes some patience, but it works). Nice to have just to blow dust out of stuff and things like that too.

If you aren't going to run a paint sprayer or other air tools I really don't see how you need to spend big dollars for a compressor.

My $.02

·
Dude...
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20+ gallons does seem like overkill for my needs, plus I'm looking for something on the smaller side and I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. I'm just tired of blowing through CO2 canisters while maintaining a few bikes of my own, the girlfriends, and even some friends.

Tom, did yours come with the necessary attachments for the tires/valves, or did you have to purchase them separately?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 2 gallon campbell hausfeld from walmart. It's totally fine for regular bike tires, but for my latest fat tire tubeless setup I was wishing for a little bigger tank. It still worked, I just had to go get a beer while it refilled the tank.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
20+ gallons does seem like overkill for my needs, plus I'm looking for something on the smaller side and I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible. I'm just tired of blowing through CO2 canisters while maintaining a few bikes of my own, the girlfriends, and even some friends.

Tom, did yours come with the necessary attachments for the tires/valves, or did you have to purchase them separately?
As I recall, mine came with a thread-on schrader attachment, but I bought a quick coupler to install on the hose instead, then got a quick coupler schrader fitting, lock-on schrader (for the sprinkler system), and a blower.

All that brass fitting stuff is pretty cheap. I think I got my compressor and all fittings for less than $100.

Here's a fitting kit, everything you could ever want for $20:

Air Compressor Starter Kit H-3863 - Uline

Compressors are better for mounting tires not only because it's cheaper but because the CO2 blows too cold. It works, but it can cause problems.

·
The 5th knuckle
1,610 Posts

I have a two gallon Husky from Home Depot. On my old DT rims I could never get a 2.4 Conti to seat on the front even after pulling the valve core. The 2.1 in the back was no problem. I would take a beer and go to the Midas and use theirs to seat the front. When I switched to Maxxis I never had a problem mounting the 2.4 upfront. The Maxxis on my Chargers are easy peasy lemon squeezy to mount.

Just an FYI that results may vary depending on rubber and rim choice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Agreed it may be overkill, but I have had many gripes with stubborn units that were smaller. The cost margin of a 20 gal vs smaller is actually pretty minimal if you look around. Like with many things, bigger opens options for later.

There is a company advertizing in Mountain Bike Action in one of the small ads in the back that makes a tire inflator attachment with a gun and guage for presta. If I could recall what it was called I would send a link, but its out there.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
I've got a 3 gallon Craftsman with an OILED air compressor piston. The oiled (vs. oil-less compressors) are much nicer, quieter and longer lasting.

I'd sell mine for $75 (1 year old) as I need to get a larger capacity compressor for running air tools in the garage.

PM me. I'm in Arvada.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
I've got a 3 gallon Craftsman with an OILED air compressor piston. The oiled (vs. oil-less compressors) are much nicer, quieter and longer lasting.

I'd sell mine for $75 (1 year old) as I need to get a larger capacity compressor for running air tools in the garage.

PM me. I'm in Arvada.
That's a good deal. I went for the cheapo dry setup just because I couldn't justify paying enough for an oiled one. If you have an oiled one, oil it once in a while!

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
I got the cheapest one I could find and I use it primarily for dealing with the tubeless. Honestly, i wish I would have spend the extra 20-$30 and gotten a little bit better one. Does it work? Yes, but it is noisy and runs out of air quickly..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Every person who does their own maintenance and has garage space should have a compressor in my humble opinion.

I mounted mine in the attic space above the garage and it takes up no real estate. You'd be surprised at how many jobs are made easier or more pleasant with one.

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
Agreed it may be overkill, but I have had many gripes with stubborn units that were smaller. The cost margin of a 20 gal vs smaller is actually pretty minimal if you look around. Like with many things, bigger opens options for later.

There is a company advertizing in Mountain Bike Action in one of the small ads in the back that makes a tire inflator attachment with a gun and guage for presta. If I could recall what it was called I would send a link, but its out there.
AirBob? It might cost as much as a compressor, but it makes filling up presta and schrader valves fast and easy. I spent far too much time trying to trigger the little pin on my old compresser valve to fill up a presta tube through an adapter. Now it's a matter of a minute to air up the family's mixed-valved bikes. (Amazon.com: Problem Solvers Air-Bob Universal Tire Inflator: Sports & Outdoors)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've considered a compressor, but it's easier to let me LBS do the initial set up for a few bucks and then use an injector for maintenance down the road.

2oz Tire Sealant Injector
Not a bad idea but you are one flat(that requires you to swap to a tube temporarily) away from having to hit the bike shop again. Air compressors really make life in the garage so much better. That injector is the tits though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts